Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay Overview
IIT Bombay Overview
Founded in the year 1958, the Indian Institute of Technology Bombay is a public engineering institution rooted at Powai, Mumbai, India. With a humble beginning of 100 scholars in a temporary home at the SASMIRA building in Worli, today the institute tutors a total of 1126 students and hosts fifteen academic departments and four interdisciplinary programmes.
IIT Bombay is endorsed by the University Grants Commission (UGC) and the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE). Popular for its flagship 4-years, 5-years (dual degree) & 2-years programmes, the institute offers courses on B.Tech, M.Tech, Executive MBA, MMS, M.Phil, M.Des, M.Sc and PhD with various specializations.
IIT Bombay long held the 2nd spot in a line of the best academic institutions of the nation from 2016 to 2018 along with an international rank of 9 in the QS BRICS University Rankings of 2018. The college has been ranked as the 3rd best IIT in the country by NIRF 2019.
The faculty members at IIT Bombay are well experienced and qualified. The professors hold deep knowledge in their respective fields and are always willing to help or support their students deal with the hectic IIT syllabi and college life.
IIT Bombay Courses offered and Fee Structure
The Indian Institute of Technology in Bombay provides engineering degrees under both Bachelor’s (B.Tech) and Master’s (M.Tech) programme and also dual (B.Tech + M.Tech) courses on certain subjects. Other than that it also offers management courses like MBA/PGDM as well as Executive MBA/PGDM and non-engineering courses such as B.Sc, M.Sc and PhD. Following is a brief overview of the B.Tech and M.Tech programmes.
IIT Bombay Course Highlights
- Students can choose from the following B.Tech streams: Computer Science and Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering and Materials Science, and Engineering Physics.
- B. Tech + M.Tech courses include: Aerospace engineering, Electrical Engineering + Microelectronics, Electrical Engineering + Communications and signal processing, Mechanical Engineering + Computer Integrated Manufacturing, Environmental Science and Engineering, Energy Engineering + Energy systems Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering and Materials Science + Metallurgical process and Metallurgical Engineering and Materials Science + Ceramics and Composites
- Streams offered under the M.Tech programme include: Computer Science, Environmental Science and Engineering, Industrial Engineering and Operations Research, Geoinformatics and Natural Resources, Aerospace Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Design Engineering, Construction Technology and Management, Petroleum Geoscience, Transportation Systems Engineering, Microelectronics Engineering, Remote Sensing, Corrosion Science, Power Electronics and Power systems and many more.
- The institute also offers a full-time PhD course for 4 years.
|B.Tech||4 years||Minimum 75% marks in Higher Secondary Examination. Candidates need to have a rank of 245000 or less in paper 1 of JEE Main. There will be no preference of 10+2 marks for calculating the ranks in JEE Main.||8.55 lakhs|
|M.Tech||2 years||Mandatory courses include B.E and B.Tech in the required subject along with a valid GATE score. Candidates that have graduated from an IIT with a B.Tech degree having a CGPA of 8.0 or above can apply directly without GATE qualification.||50,000|
|B.Tech+M.Tech||5 years||Completed 10+2 examination with Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects and Chemistry / Biology / Biotechnology as an optional subject, with 75% marks (65% for SC and ST candidates) and a JEE-Advanced rank.||10.57 lakhs|
|PhD.||4 years||The candidate needs to have a Bachelor’s degree from any recognised institution and pass the GMAT and CAT exams.||96,000|
IIT Bombay Admission Process
The admission procedures on grounds of the courses available at the Indian Institute of Technology in Madras are given below –
- BE / B.Tech - Admission is based on JOSAA counselling which is determined by the rank obtained in JEE Advanced. The marks scored in the Higher Secondary Examination is also taken into account.
- ME / M.Tech - IIT Graduates and GATE qualified applicants can register online with the help of the information available on COAP. Shortlisted candidates have to sit for a written test or interview on the basis of the marks scored in GATE/IIT. Candidates are then chosen on the basis of their performance in the written test or interview. Teaching Assistantship (TA) category scholars do not have to appear for the written test/personal interview.
IIT Bombay Placements
The companies/recruiters visiting the campus of IIT Bombay include 3M, ACCENTURE, Adobe, Amazon.com, Barclays Bank, Cadbury, Citigroup, Eaton Ltd, Infosys, ITC, John Deere, Microsoft, Morgan Stanley, MU Sigma, Nvidia Corporation, ONGC, Oracle Financial, Qualcomm, TATA, TCS etc.
In IIT Bombay the highest package a company has ever offered is that of 1.4 crores with an average rate of 13 lakhs every year.
|2017||Blackstone Group||45 lakhs|
|2017||World Quant||42.87 lakhs|
|2017||Toyo Engg. Corporation||27 lakhs|
IIT Bombay Result and Cut-off
Mentioned below is the cut off for IIT Delhi JEE Advanced 2018 (gender neutral), for the B.Tech and the 5-year B.Tech + M.Tech (dual degree) programmes:
|Computer Science and Engineering||1||59||1||14||1||9||9||37|
|Metallurgical Engineering and Materials Science||1010||3089||667||990||503||623||1052||1593|
|B.Tech + M.Tech||Electrical Engineering with M.Tech in Communications and Signal Processing||275||554||201||252||105||162||239||401|
|Electrical Engineering with M.Tech in Microelectronics||284||446||114||236||125||174||183||347|
|Energy Engineering with M.Tech in Energy Systems Engineering||1579||2597||442||801||288||420||997||1540|
|Environmental Science and Engineering||2260||4846||832||1582||850||886||1896||2980|
|Mechanical Engineering and M.Tech in Computer Integrated Manufacturing||888||1128||165||270||187||192||415||512|
|Metallurgical Engineering and Materials Science with M.Tech in Ceramics and Composites||3379||3525||1059||1087||808||808||1733||1738|
|Metallurgical Engineering and Materials Science with M.Tech in Metallurgical Process Engineering||3185||3344||1092||1095||731||731||1672||1754|
IIT Bombay Alumni Network
The IIT Bombay Alumni Association (IITBAA) was established in 2001 to create, strengthen and maintain a life-long bond between the institute and its alumni. With the help of its dedicated board of directors, the IITBAA aims to reconnect past scholars, support students, and create memorable experiences through a variety of events, programmes and services. With about 19,000 registered members for life, the Alumni Association has always been committed to serving its alumni and alma mater and several other bodies of the institution.
IIT Bombay Scholarships
IIT Bombay offers a Merit-cum-Means scholarship under which the chosen candidate is awarded a sum of Rs 1000 every month with exemption from paying tuition fee per semester. Only a maximum of 25% of the total number of students admitted is shortlisted for this reward scheme. For Dual degree programmes, the scholarship is provided until the 4th year only. Eligibility is based on academic merits and financial status.
Eligibility: One of the criteria for this scholarship is ‘means’ which is based solely on the candidate’s parental income. At present, candidates whose annual family income from all sources is less than Rs 4,50,000, can register for the scholarship.
IIT Bombay Campus Facility
- Library: The library at IIT Bombay has a collection of 2,40,101 books, 67,677 reports, 1,18,925 journals, theses, standards, pamphlets covering all streams and courses.
- Hostel: IIT Bombay consists of a total of 16 hostels for both boys and girls, equipped with basic amenities like water purifiers, recreation room, mess, TV, laundry services, common room, security and surveillance system etc. Other facilities include single occupancy rooms, shared rooms and in-campus hostel.
- Sports Complex: In the field of sports the college provides facilities like Basketball Court, Cricket Ground, Football Ground, Swimming Pool, Tennis Court and Volleyball court.