TOEFL 2022 Exam Information
TOEFL is a computerized exam conducted by ETS that tests the candidates’ English knowledge required to study, work, or migrate abroad. TOEFL Registration can be completed following a few simple steps. TOEFL Exam Fees in India are around INR 13,560 ($185). The duration of TOEFL is around 3 hours 30 minutes. The score range of TOEFL is 0-120 in which each section has a score range of 0-30. There are three versions of TOEFL – Computer-based, iBT, and PBT. The latter is only functional in places where there is the unavailability of the internet. The TOEFL exam pattern comprises four sections: Reading, listening, speaking, and writing. During COVID 19 pandemic, ETS launched TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition as the test centers are closed. This version of the TOEFL iBT home edition has a similar syllabus to the original exam. Candidates will not receive any hard copy of the TOEFL score card, but within 6-10 days of the test, the online report will be available on the official website.
TOEFL iBT Home Edition
TOEFL iBT is preferred by most of the candidates because of its ease of convenience and uses fewer sources. And now ETS has arranged TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition for candidates finding it difficult to reach the TOEFL test centers due to the COVID-19 outbreak. The at-home edition is available worldwide apart from Mainland China and Iran. The format is identical to the general TOEFL exam, along with the scoring method. The test is monitored by a human proctor through ProctorU.
Mandatory Requirements for TOEFL ibt Home Edition:
- Desktop or laptop
- Check if the browser can be downloaded and installed
- Run the ProctorU equipment check
- Use only internal or external speakers
Note: TOEFL ITP Plus for China Solution: Since GMAT test centers in China have been closed for quite some time, the joint effort of the ETS and TOEFL program has resulted in the TOEFL ITP program for China Solutions that offer a combination of a similar pattern of TOEFL paper-delivered test ITP Level 1 test with a brief, unscored video speaking interview arranged by Vericant. Candidates are advised to keep an eye on the official website for further updates on this.
Why take TOEFL?
More than 9000 top universities of the world accept TOEFL scores as a prerequisite for English language proficiency. Indian students take this language proficiency test to measure their Reading, Listening, Speaking, and Writing skills. Candidates pursue TOEFL for different reasons like high school degree, bachelor’s degree, job, or higher education. Indian students prefer TOEFL over IELTS due to their good scores in this language test. The best part is that there are no interviews as a part of the process and tests are scored anonymously. ETS shows Indians scored an average of 24 out of 30 in Speaking, Writing, and Listening. In the Reading section, Indian candidates score the least for their intense vocabulary. With an overall average score of 95, candidates can easily secure TIER 2 colleges in the USA and Canada. Students can apply for TOEFL Scholarships as per the score secured in the exam.
There are a few details that test takers must know before appearing for the TOEFL:
|TOEFL Full Form||Test of English as a Foreign Language|
|Level of Exam||International|
|Conducting Body||Educational Testing Service (ETS)|
|Exam Pattern||iBT and PBT|
|Duration||Around 3 hours 30 minutes|
|TOEFL ibt fee||INR 11468 – INR 17919|
|TOEFL PBT fee||INR 12901|
|TOEFL Test Centers||4500 across the world|
|TOEFL Helpline Number||1-609-771-7100/ 1-877-863-3546|
TOEFL 2022 Exam Date
TOEFL Exam Dates 2022 offers year-round dates for candidates willing to appear for the exam. The TOEFL Exam is conducted at various test centres all over India and candidates can opt for their preferred location and TOEFL exam dates. Candidates can visit the official website for registration and choose the date of the exams based on their convenience and preparation. Based on the TOEFL test dates, candidates can choose their desired time slots as well for the chosen date. Given below are the TOEFL exam dates 2022 across the cities.
How to book a TOEFL Exam Date?
Candidates can book their TOEFL exam date by visiting the official website of the ETS and register themselves for the exam. While it is possible for candidates to look for the exam dates prior to registration, candidates need to create or login to their account to check the available exam dates, location and time slot. For booking a specific date candidates need to ensure their TOEFL Registration followed by which they can book their preferred TOEFL dates.
The official website of ETS has released the TOEFL Exam Dates 2022. Candidates can choose their preferred TOEFL test dates, TOEFL Test Centres after they have completed the registration process. There are 60 TOEFL dates in India in a year and candidates need to confirm with their preferred college or university regarding their admission dates and timings before choosing the TOEFL exam dates. In the midst of the pandemic, candidates can also take TOEFL iBT from their home as a convenient mode of giving exams.
The following TOEFL exam dates 2022:
|Month||TOEFL Exam dates|
|May 2022||18, 21, 25, 29.|
|June 2022||4, 10, 11, 15, 25, 26.|
|July 2022||3, 6, 9, 23, 30, 31.|
|August 2022||3, 6, 13, 17, 27.|
Candidates approved by the ETS and in need of testing accommodations may be allowed the services as per the requirements. These can be the following accommodations:
- Technical accommodations: screen magnification, Intellikeys keyboard, selectable background and foreground colours, ergonomic keyboard, keyboard with touchpad
- Specialised assistance: sign language interpreter for spoken directions, oral interpreter for spoken and listening section only, test reader
- Adaptive accommodations: audio version of script, braille test, braille test with reader script, large print version, regular print version, listening section omitted, speaking section omitted, extended testing time, additional rest breaks.
TOEFL Test Day Instructions
The following instructions can be followed by the candidates for their TOEFL test dates:
- Candidates should reach the TOEFL test centre 30 mins before the exam
- Candidates should carry their ID for verification by the Test Centre Administrator
- Candidates are required to store all personal belongings outside the exam hall
- The photo and voice recording sample might be taken
- Candidates will receive scratch paper and pencil
- Candidates should make a microphone check
Hence, candidates can choose from the above mentioned TOEFL Exam dates in the year of 2022 and opt for their preferred TOEFL test centre. Candidates should ensure that they choose the appropriate test date based on their level of preparation.
TOEFL 2022 Eligibility Criteria
ETS has laid down very simple eligibility for TOEFL eligibility age, qualifications, documents, and also TOEFL eligibility score. There is very little TOEFL test eligibility that the aspirants need to be concerned about like – a valid passport, photo requirements, and documents required during the test.
TOEFL Eligibility Educational Qualification
TOEFL prerequisites eligibility criteria are only concerned about candidates successfully completing their 10+2 from a recognized Indian board to take the exam. To put it in other words, the candidate just needs to pass their grade 12 or an equivalent degree to be able to sit for the exam. You can also take the test while pursuing your high school.
TOEFL Eligibility Age
There are no strict TOEFL eligibility criteria in terms of age. Though candidates mainly of the age of 18 take the test. There is no eligibility set by ETS for the age of the candidate.
TOEFL Eligibility Score
The TOEFL eligibility score is totally dependent on the universities the candidate is selecting. Most of the top universities have a requirement of high TOEFL score along with a strong GPA, high scores in previous academic qualifications, and also work experience sometimes. Therefore, the eligibility completely depends on the university as well as the course of study the candidate is aiming for. A humanities program will expectedly have a higher TOEFL score requirement than any other.
TOEFL Eligibility Documents Required
The TOEFL ID proof needs to contain a recent photo and signature of the candidate. Plus, the spelling of the name should with TOEFL registration documents. According to the ETS guidelines, the TOEFL eligibility for Indian students for the ID has to be a valid passport.
Candidates have to present this in original – photocopies are not accepted. The signature and the photo of the ID must match with the photo and the signature
Along with a passport, the candidate needs to carry the national ID proof as these also contain the name, signature, photo, and date of birth. Print out of the confirmation mail from ETS will also be required during the exam for verification.
Point to be noted that the following IDs are not accepted for TOEFL as valid ID proof even though all these contain name, signature, and photo.
- Any temporary ID card
- Birth certificate
- Credit/debit card of any kind
- Diplomatic, consulate, or embassy ID card
- Draft classification card
- Employee ID card
- International driver’s license
- International student ID
- Notary-prepared letter or document
- School or college or Library IDs
- Social Security card
ETS is very strict in terms of ID and failing this, the candidate will not be able to take the exam.
TOEFL Eligibility for Retakes
There is also no set number of times a candidate can take the TOEFL exam. The TOEFL exam dates are available throughout the year occurring 50 times. Candidates can retake TOEFL as many times as they want but only keeping a gap of 12 days between each exam.
TOEFL Eligibility for Scholarship
The TOEFL eligibility for Indian students when it comes to scholarships are:
- They need to reside in India during the time of their application
- They need to apply to a university or college listed in the TOEFL Destination Search
- They need to hold a GPA of 80/100 or, 3.0
- They need to have a valid TOEFL Score
There are 14 different kinds of TOEFL scholarships each of which serves different purposes. The following details will provide eligibility for TOEFL of different kinds:
- TOEFL Research Grants: Students presently working on doctoral projects based on language assessment. They also need to have an approved dissertation.
- TOEFL Young Student Services(YSS): This is only applicable for candidates who are working on topics that come under YSS. Those candidates also need to have a good hold on the English language.
- Jacqueline Ross Dissertation Award: This is achieved by those who have successfully published a dissertation in the last three years.
- Samuel J. Merrick Memorial Lecture Award: This is offered to those candidates whose names have appeared in the received nominations
- TESOL Award: The TOEFL prerequisites eligibility criteria for this scholarship is, the candidates need to be a member of TESOL
Eligibility Criteria for TOEFL at-home Exam
ETS has arranged for TOEFL at-home exam due to the ongoing pandemic. This enables candidates to take the TOEFL exam from the safety of their home. But candidates need to follow certain TOEFL eligibility related to the requirements of the equipment to take the exam. Below is the TOEFL test eligibility that candidates need to have for taking the at-home exam:
- Desktop or computer, no tablet or mobile can be used
- PC: Windows® operating system, versions 10 or 8
- MAC®: Mac OS X® 10.5 or higher (10.13 High Sierra is recommended)
- Browser: Firefox or Chrome
- Candidates need to download and run the ETS secure test browser till they see the notification “Success! You have installed the ETS secure test browser”
- Also, run the ProctorU® Equipment Check before the test. In case of any issue, get it solved before the exam
- The computer firewalls and security applications may hamper the functions of the test software. If this happens, reconfigure or disable those applications before the test.
- Only internet or external speakers are allowed to listen to the Proctor
- No headphones or earphones are allowed
- Communicate with the proctor with the help of an internal or external microphone
- The camera can be in-built or a separate webcam
- A 360-degree view of the room needs to be shown to the Proctor
- TOEFL exam eligibility for at-home exam requires candidates to take the test alone
- The test cannot be taken in a public place like a cafe, park, restaurant, etc
- All the doors of the room must be closed before beginning the test
- The laptop and keyboard must be on top of the table surface
- Candidates are not supposed to cover their ears by wearing a headband or hat
- Don’t wear jewelry
- Candidates are not allowed to take notes on regular paper for security issues
- According to TOEFL test eligibility, candidates can only take notes on a desktop whiteboard with an erasable marker, no pencil or pen can be used, or a sheet of paper inside a transparent sheet protector with an erasable marker
- When the test will end, candidates need to show the proctor that all notes have been erased TOEFL Registration can be done by candidates using the ETS official website or from the TOEFL Mobile App. Candidates can apply for their TOEFL Registration through online, mobile application or mail or any authorised person. The TOEFL iBT administers the exam 6 days a week at authorised test centres around the world or at home. It is essential that candidates register themselves for the exam 2-4 months prior before the deadline of application. Candidates are free to choose the TOEFL test centres based on their convenience.
TOEFL 2022 Registration
Candidates willing to appear for the TOEFL have many options to choose from for their TOEFL test registration. Candidates can register for the TOEFL exam with the help of the methods discussed further. These methods include-
- TOEFL Online registration ‘
- TOEFL registration by phone app
- TOEFL registration by mail
- TOEFL registration in-person
TOEFL Online Registration
Candidates who are willing to appear for the TOEFL exam are most likely to register for TOEFL using the online registration mode. Accordingly, to fill up the form using TOEFL exam online registration, candidates need to follow the below steps:
- Visit the official website
- Create a New Profile as TOEFL Test Taker
- Submit your TOEFL Application
- Select Your TOEFL Test Date 2022
- Select your TOEFL Test Centre 2022
- Pay the TOEFL Registration Fee of $190
- Confirm and submit the application form
- Take a print out and save it for future use
Step 1: candidates are required to create a new account or sign in to their existing account using their ID and Password in the TOEFL registration site. Candidates who already have an account would be asked what is their TOEFL registration number for signing in to complete the registration.
Step 2: Candidates accordingly need to fill their detailed information about personal and educational details that prove to be effective during admission. The use of the TOEFL exam online registration is convenient for the candidates requiring to provide all the information.
Step 3: Candidates in this step have the ability to choose their TOEFL exam dates based on their convenience as well as based on their preparation levels. Candidates need to be careful while selecting the dates in the TOEFL registration site.
Step 4: Candidates at this stage have the opportunity to choose their TOEFL test centres based on their preferred choice of location. Moreover, candidates can also opt for the newly launched TOEFL at home edition as well.
Step 5: Once the candidates make all their choice of preferences and fill in the details, the page would be directed towards the payment gateway. To complete the IBT TOEFL Registration, candidates need to complete the payment process by paying the TOEFL Registration Fees.
Step 6: Once the payment is made, candidates have now successfully submitted their form. They can now download the acknowledgement receipt from the TOEFL registration site. The acknowledgement slip would help in retrieving the TOEFL registration number.
TOEFL Registration by Phone App
Candidates have the option to download the TOEFL Phone App for their TOEFL exam registration. The following steps are important:
- After installing TOEFL app in phone, candidate has to sign up if he/she is a new user
- If already registered, then the candidate has to enter user id and password
- Like Online registration, here also candidate has to provide all necessary personal details and contact details
- Rest the steps are similar just like TOEFL online registration where candidates need to save the TOEFL registration number.
TOEFL Registration by Mail
Candidates can opt for their ETS TOEFL Registration by mail following the below steps.
- Candidates need to first download the PDF Form and take a print out.
- Next they can fill out the application form
- Candidates should be filling their name spelled exactly as on the valid identification to be brought in the exam
- Send the form with the TOEFL Exam fee to the Resource Centre.
- Candidates must ensure that the forms must reach the resource centre minimum 4 weeks before the exam.
TOEFL Registration In-Person
Candidates can opt for TOEFL test register in-person by visiting the TOEFL resource centre in person. Accordingly, candidates can register for TOEFL in-person by providing all the required documents and information. Candidates can opt for TOEFL registration India in-person by visiting the Resource Centre in Gurgaon. Candidates need to ensure that their application must reach the centre before the TOEFL exam registration deadline.
TOEFL ITP Registration
The TOEFL ITP tests are conducted in digital and paper format. Candidates are assessed on their proficiency in English language for those who are non-native English speakers. Candidates willing to appear for the exam need to apply for TOEFL ITP registration. Candidates need to be aware of the various colleges and universities choosing candidates through this exam. TOEFL ITP is conducted at 2 different levels- level 1 and Level 2 with multiple choice questions. These questions are spread around Listening Comprehension, structure and written comprehension and reading comprehension. The cost of the exam for non-UK students is $30. The TOEFL ITP registration would be complete when the candidate makes the payment.
TOEFL Registration Dates
The TOEFL registration dates typically open three to four months before the actual date of exam. While the TOEFL is held in all the 12 months in a year, the TOEFL IBT registration opens 3-4 months prior to the exam date. Further, the TOEFL exam registration deadline is 7 full days before the test and last TOEFL online registration closes 2 days before the test. Candidates need to constantly check the online website for TOEFL registration dates India.
TOEFL Registration Fee
While TOEFL Test registration is important for candidates willing to appear for the exam. Accordingly, before candidates attempt for their TOEFL Register, it is recommended that they are aware of the TOEFL exam fees. TOEFL online registration fee varies between TOEFL test locations and is around $160 and $250 for iBT whereas TOEFL PBT fee is $180. The list is provided with all necessary fees related to TOEFL. Candidates applying for TOEFL registration India need to be aware of the fee structure for the exam.
TOEFL Cancellation/Rescheduling Fees
Candidates who are willing to cancel their application or reschedule their test dates require you to do the same four full days prior to the test date. Candidates cannot reschedule their TOEFL test dates via mail or email or the test centre as it is not applicable. Candidates might have to call their Regional Registration Centre and provide them with details for rescheduling. Further, candidates can also reschedule their test online by visiting the website of ETS. The rescheduling fees for TOEFL stands at $60.
TOEFL 2022 Exam Pattern
TOEFL exam pattern comprises English reading, writing, speaking, and listening. TOEFL Reading and listening section consists of MCQs and total number of MCQs in these two sections is 58-79. The tasks of TOEFL writing section are descriptive. In the speaking section, the candidates need to provide short to long answers to the questions asked. The total duration of the TOEFL exam is around 3 hours. TOEFL measures the candidate’s performance by mixing the four distinctive language skills through:
- Reading a passage, listening to a recording/lecture, and responding by speaking to a specific question;
- Listening to a recording/lecture and responding by writing the answer to a specific question;
- Reading a passage, listening to a recording/lecture, and responding by writing to a specific question.
As TOEFL is a language proficiency test, mostly the ETS TOEFL measures the language skills of the candidates through the following given TOEFL exam pattern as per sections below :
In TOEFL Reading, candidates will have to read 3-4 passages of 700 words and answer 30-40 questions that include 10 types of questions. The TOEFL reading section is intended to evaluate candidates’ reading and understanding abilities. The reading passages in the TOEFL cover a variety of different subjects. Candidates get 54 to 72 minutes to solve the TOEFL reading passages. This section is scored on a range of 0 – 30.
The TOEFL Writing section comprises two tasks – TOEFL integrated and TOEFL independent tasks. The duration of this section is 50 minutes and the candidates need to write 500-600 words compositely in two writing tasks. TOEFL writing is the last section of the TOEFL exam pattern and is the hardest one as well since candidates are simultaneously tested on their listening, speaking, and reading skills. The raw score range of TOEFL writing is 0-5 and is again converted to a scale of 0-30.
TOEFL Listening section there are basically two aspects – lectures and conversations. After each conversation or lecture, there is a set of questions asking about the information that was being presented. Candidates will get 20 minutes to answer each set of questions. This section includes 4-6 academic lecture excerpts each 3-5 minutes in length and 2-3 conversations on a variety of general topics relevant to university life.
In TOEFL Speaking section, comprises one independent and three integrated speaking tasks. There are one independent task and 3 integrated tasks. TOEFL Speaking is measured on a range of 0 – 30. There is a total of 6 questions, the first two are about familiar topics and the rest are lectures, short readings, and conversations.
|Sections||Time Duration||No. of Questions||Details|
|Reading||60-80 minutes||36-56 questions||3-4 reading passages to answer questions|
|Listening||60-90 minutes||34-51 questions||Audio clips of 4-6 short lectures and 2-3 long conversations|
|Speaking||20 minutes||6 Tasks||Need to speak on familiar topics or any academic-related issues|
|Writing||50 minutes||2 Tasks||Articulate opinion, logic, and argument after a comparison between a reading passage and classroom lecture|
TOEFL Reading Pattern
In the TOEFL test pattern, the reading section appears at first. The main focus of the TOEFL reading is assessing how capable the candidate is in understanding English and also provide an accurate response to it.
- TOEFL test pattern of reading is related to academic study materials;
- 3-4 reading passages of around 700 words is provided as prompts;
- 10 questions will be asked from each passage
- Time allotted for the TOEFL iBT pattern of reading is 54 – 72 minutes
- Excerpts derived from university-level textbooks
- TOEFL reading passages cover various subjects
- Scores will be given in raw points and later will be converted to a scale of 30
TOEFL Listening Pattern
Since listening is one of the most significant skills required to reside abroad, TOEFL listening concentrates on evaluating the aspirant’s ability to understand not only the English language but also the different accents used across the globe. Universities will have lectures, workplaces will require constant communication – TOEFL listening measures every aspect while taking the test. With proper TOEFL Listening Preparation Tips, candidates can easily score above 25 on the scale of 30.
The TOEFL new exam pattern of listening has two categories – Lectures and Conversations:
- 3 – 4 lectures having 3 – 5 minutes duration accompanied by 6 questions per lecture;
- 2 -3 conversations with 2 speakers, each having 3 minus duration accompanied by 5 questions per conversation;
More points to be noted about the TOEFL new pattern of listening are:
- The total time period is 60-90 minutes;
- While playing audio clips, speakers of audio will appear on the screen
- The test taker can find specific term written on-screen taken from audio clip
- Test takers can also hear different accents of English in audio clips
- The listening score will be calculated as the total of raw points later it will be scored on a scale of 0-30.
TOEFL Speaking Pattern
While attending a lecture, enquiring about a topic, or presenting a PPT, speaking in English becomes the most essential skill and the TOEFL speaking test assesses the necessary skills to ensure fluency. The main motive of the TOEFL speaking pattern is determining the candidate’s convenience in speaking English in educational instances. Experts suggest to get a hold of TOEFL Speaking Topics from latest years to understand the question format.
TOEFL Writing Pattern
To excel in the university, or workplace writing a proper answer or report is a necessity. English-speaking nations are very strict about English writing as well. Therefore, the TOEFL writing pattern places all its focuses on not only testing through an essay but also similar cross-functional tasks like integrated writing.
TOEFL 2022 Syllabus
TOEFL syllabus was created to evaluate candidates’ reading, writing, listening, and speaking abilities in a university context. The TOEFL exam and syllabus were designed to test candidates’ diverse skills and determine their English language competency. The TOEFL syllabus covers all components of the exam, including writing, reading, listening, and speaking.
TOEFL Reading Question Types
- Factual Information and Negative Factual Information: Factual information question structure aims at the main ideas, supporting facts, and definitions. Negative factual information questions are mostly similar with the only difference in identifying the single false answer from the list of 4. Note the words ‘NOT’ and ‘EXCEPT’ while answering negative factual information questions.
- Inference and Rhetorical: The inference questions of the TOEFL exam pattern and syllabus of reading direct at explaining identifying the ambiguous statement of the passage. Inference questions can be identified by seeing words like ‘INFERRED’, ‘IMPLIES’, and ‘ SUGGESTS’. Rhetorical purpose questions are highly similar with the only difference of answering the question ‘WHY’, thereby stating the purpose.
- Recognizing Vocabulary: Probably the easiest to answer, vocabulary questions in the TOEFL latest pattern of reading require the candidates to find and answer the meanings of certain highlighted words in the passage.
- Sentence Explanation: these kinds of questions in the TOEFL pattern of reading require the candidates to identify the difference in very similar sentences and choose the one explained in a more simplified manner.
- Insert Text: This type of reading questions aim at analyzing the logical placement of ideas in a particular reading passage. There is one insert text question in all the reading passages.
- Prose Summary: This kind of question in the TOEFL question pattern of reading requires the candidates to recognize the main ideas and significance of the reading passage. There are 6 answer choices with 3 correct ones.
TOEFL Listening Question Types
Few candidates get confused with TOEFL Listening Question Details. Most of the listening questions come from reading section passages and the candidates should pay attention to understanding the tone of the passage.
- Gist Content/Purpose: the gist content asks you to provide the fundamental idea of the recording listened to. Whereas, the gist purpose asks you to find the main aim of the recording. This question type can be recognized by phrases like – ‘MAINLY ABOUT’, ‘MAINLY DISCUSSING’, ‘WHY DOES THE STUDENT’, ‘WHAT IS THE MAIN PURPOSE;
- Detail Questions: This kind of question ask the candidate to provide the factual details they derived from the recording. This can be recognized by questions like – ‘ACCORDING TO..’, ‘WHAT IS…’;
- Function: This kind of question require the candidate to identify the original meaning of the context given. The difference between the surface meaning and real meaning needs to be studied here;
- Attitude: Here, the candidates need to identify the attitude or expression of the stated words. It can be identified by phrases like – ‘WHAT IS THE PROFESSOR’S ATTITUDE?’, ‘WHAT DOES THE CANDIDATE THINK ABOUT?’
- Organization: This type of question require the candidate to showcase how the lecture is structured. This can include questions like – ‘WHY DOES THE PROFESSOR MENTION ABOUT..?’, ‘WHY DOES THE PROFESSOR DISCUSS…?’
- Connections in Content: This question type focuses on the connections among the ideas given in the lecture. This question generally appears in the fill-in-the-blanks type with questions like – ‘WHAT IS THE LIKELY OUTCOME..”
- Inference: The candidate needs to identify the underlying meaning of the lecture since it will not be explicitly stated.
TOEFL Speaking Questions Types
The TOEFL iBT exam pattern of speaking consists of two tasks:
- Question 1 – Independent Task: This task asks the test-takers to present their own thoughts, opinions, and experiences;
- Questions 2 – 4 – Integrated Task: This is a cross-functional task where alongside the speaking skills, the listening, writing, and reading skills are integrated.
TOEFL Writing Questions Types
The two categories of TOEFL writing pattern are:
- Integrated writing task: similar to the speaking task, this requires the candidates to thoroughly read a passage, pay attention to a brief lecture, and eventually provide a response of the listened and read materials;
- Independent writing task: Similar to the speaking task, here the candidate is required to present their own ideas, opinions, and experiences through writing.
TOEFL Preparation Tips
Candidates must spend ample time to find out the weakness and strengths of TOEFL. ETS uploads sample papers online for easy access. TOEFL preparation tips must comprise of particular target score to secure with proper guidance to reach the goal. A few tips for the exam are as follows:
- Use flashcards to learn vocabulary
- Learn 5 new words regularly, and make sentences of your own using them.
- Do the practice tests as many as you can
- Try to work in groups for better performance
- Make your own customized TOEFL study plan
- Learn vocabulary from different academic topics
- Always go through the questions before attempting
- Practice skimming and scanning for passages
- Watch English news and movies to understand the native accent
- Also, read journals, novels, and more to enhance vocabulary
- The best way to improve TOEFL reading is by reading complex texts
- The candidates need to pace themselves when reading the contexts
- Engage in daily practice from different TOEFL practice tests to ace your score
- Get yourself a mentor who is experienced and provides problem-solving techniques
- Practice taking down notes of the main ideas. It will help you answer correctly in the exam
- Try not to leave many questions unanswered
- Candidates need to dress comfortably. The test room can be warm or cold.
- Candidates need to refer to the official TOEFL site for information. There are many test center closures taking place due to COVID-19, candidates can stay updated from the official site.
- Test-takers need to gift themselves after taking the exam. This will keep them motivated.
- Save yourself 7 TOEFL practice tests for the week before the exam. Wake up at the time when you would for your actual exam, take the test as if you’re taking it in a test center.
- It is important for candidates to know the route to the TOEFL test center before the exam.
TOEFL 2022 Admit Card
Candidates should know that unlike in Indian exams, the TOEFL exam doesn’t require admit card for the exam. But here mentioned what you should and shouldn’t take on test day. You just need to register for the exam and attend the test at the selected test centre along with the following mentioned documents.
Methods for students to obtain their admit cards from ETS’s official website.
The procedures are outlined below.
Valid, Acceptable Identification (ID) Documents
TOEFL candidates should bring at least 2 forms of acceptable ID document whenever they report to the test centre. ID documents must meet all the following requirements with few exceptions.
- Original: ID document should be an original document and not photocopied documents.
- Valid: The ID document that the candidate is producing at the TOEFL test centre should be valid and expired documents are not acceptable.
- Name: The ID document should include the candidate’s full name matching exactly the name used to register.
- Signature & Photograph: The ID document that the candidate is producing at the TOEFL test centre must include the test taker’s signature and a recent photograph that should clearly match the test taker.
If you fail to bring any valid identification or if the name on the ID doesn’t exactly match the name on your registration, then you will not be allowed to take the test. In that case, there would be no test fee refund.
TOEFL 2022 Result
How to Get TOEFL Official Score Reports?
Candidates can request a paper copy of their TOEFL score report before appearing for the test. It would be mailed within 11 days after the test date. Candidates can download and print a PDF copy of their score from their ETS account. PDF score reports are ready for download within eight days after taking the test.
Steps to viewing your TOEFL Scores:
- Visit the official TOEFL website
- Select member log-in
- Enter in your TOEFL account credentials
- View your TOEFL Results
TOEFL scores are published within 6 days of taking the test. TOEFL scores are published by ETS based on the proficiency level of a candidate. Every four sections of the TOEFL syllabus are marked on a range of 0 – 30 separately. TOEFL total score is calculated by converting raw scores to scaled scores. The maximum TOEFL score obtained is 120. The average TOEFL score in India is 90. TOEFL score validity is for two years.
TOEFL Score is graded in a range of 0 – 120. To download the score card, candidates need to log in with the registered ETS user id. TOEFL ibt score has been evaluated differently as compared to TOEFL PBT score.
TOEFL iBT Score
The scaled score of each section of the TOEFL is added together to get the total score of the TOEFL score card.
|SECTION||IBT SCORE||LEVEL OF EXPERTISE|
|Reading||0-30||A score of 22 to 30: High level A score of 15 to 21: Intermediate level A score of 0 to 14: Low level|
|Listening||0-30||A score of 22 to 30: High level A score of 15 to 21: Intermediate level A score of 0 to 14: Low level|
|Speaking||0-30||A score of 26 to 30: Good level A score of 18 to 25: Fair level A score of 10to 17: Limited level A score of 0 to 9: Weak level|
|Writing||0-30||A score of 24 to 30: Good level A score of 17 to 23: Fair level A score of 1 to 16: Limited level|
TOEFL PBT Score
|TOEFL iBT Score||TOEFL PBT Score||Level of Expertise|
|118-120||≥ 645||Expert User|
|115-117||626 – 644||Very Good User|
|110-114||610 – 625|
|102-109||581 – 609||Good User|
|94-101||560 – 580|
|79-93||546 – 559||Competent User|
|60-78||530 – 545|
|42-59||516 – 529||Modest User|
|35-41||490 – 515|
|32-34||450 – 489||Limited User|
|0-31||400 – 449||Extremely Limited/Intermittent/Non User|
TOEFL Cutoff for the top universities across the world ranges from 79 to 80. TOEFL scores for top US universities like Columbia, Harvard, UC Berkeley, Brown, and more require a score range of 90 – 100. International candidates generally opt for English-speaking nations like UK, US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. According to the TOEFL band descriptors, a TOEFL score range of 90 – 100 is considered a very good score, and a range of 100 – 110 is considered perfect for securing a chance in Ivy Leagues.
- Candidates prefer the US as the first option for pursuing higher education. Average TOEFL score for Ph.D. in the USA is around 90.
- Canada has ranked 3rd in education according to US News. Obtaining a degree from one of the Canadian universities mark excellence and most of the time their academic qualification is trusted and accredited more.
- The UK is the second most preferred destination for studying abroad and it is home to the world-famous Oxford University. Most UK universities require a high TOEFL cut-off score.
Why TOEFL Cutoff Is So High?
The universities mentioned in this table are the globally top universities and naturally, they are a bit strict with their TOEFL requirements. For most of the universities US, UK Australia, and Canada, the TOEFL cutoff ranges from 90-110. TOEFL cutoff for US universities and TOEFL cutoff for MS and business courses are generally very high (around 90 or up).
International students face excessive competition for admission in these universities and also, at the time of meeting their high TOEFL cutoff requirements. However, there are a few universities across the world where a lower TOEFL score is required. You can check the table below to know more about those universities. These universities are equally popular among international students and TOEFL cutoff scores for these universities are comparatively lower. The candidates will be able to meet these cut off with regular practice and time management skills.