NIT Calicut is a public technical university established during the third five-year plan. The institute is ranked at 25 for Engineering and 2 for Architecture in the NIRF rankings. NIT Calicut is a fully residential institute with 17 hostels, 11 academic departments, 8 centres departments, 8 centres, and 3 schools. The institute offers more than 60 courses in Engineering, Management, Architecture, and Sciences. These courses are offered under UG, PG, and Doctoral degrees.
The institute offers 10 BTech, 1 MCA, 1 BArch, 4 MBA, 24 MTech, 3 MSc, 1 MPP, and 13 PhD courses. Popular amongst all is the NIT Calicut’s flagship program, BTech. Candidates applying to the program are required to appear for the JEE Main exam and participate in the JoSAA counselling. Students who acquire a rank between 1400-39000 in the JEE Main are more likely to get a seat in the program. The total fee for the 4-year program is INR 2.08 Lacs.
NIT Calicut achieved a record placement during its 2022 placement drive. 950 students were placed this year, which is 70% higher compared to the previous year. The highest salary package offered was INR 67.6 LPA. The average salary stood at INR 13 LPA.
NIT Calicut Ranking
Given below are the NIT Calicut Rankings for the recent years:
||Best Public Institutes
||Best Technical Universities India
||Best Public Institutes
NIT Calicut Placements
NIT Calicut recently concluded its 2022 placement drive. The number of placed students increased by 70% compared to the last year. The salary packages also increased in 2022. Major recruiters who visited the campus included Adani Enterprise, Mercedes Benz, OLA Mobility etc. The major highlights of the placement drive are tabulated below:
|No. of students placed
||INR 67.6 LPA
||INR 13 LPA
||Adani Enterprises Ltd, OLA Mobility, Mercedes Benz, Traceable
NIT Calicut Scholarship
To support the needy students and encourage the meritorious students to do better, the institute provides financial assistance to its students. Students enrolled across the programs offered by NIT Calicut can choose the most suitable option as per their required eligibility and criteria. Some of the popular scholarship schemes offered at NIT Calicut are mentioned below.
- Merit-cum-Means Scholarships: The institute offers MCM scholarships to meritorious students who have excelled in education and have an annual family income of INR 2.5 lakhs or less. The students satisfying the requirements will be benefited from the following amount:
- INR 30,000 per annum for hosteller
- INR 25,000 per annum for day scholar
- E-Grantz: It is a web-based solution for the timely disbursement of educational assistance of SC, ST, OBC, and EWS students. The eligible students will be offered the following benefit under this scheme:
- Reimbursement of full tuition fees for the SC/ST students and for the OBC/FC students whose annual family income is less than INR 1 lakh.
- Mess allowance up to INR 3500 per month (for SC/ST/OEC only)
- Monthly pocket allowance of INR 250 for hostelers and INR 750 for day scholars (for SC/ST/OEC only)
- Laptop or computer (for SC/ST/OEC only)
- Top Class Education Scheme for SC/ST Students: The SC/ST students enrolled at NIT Calicut can avail the benefit of this central sector scholarship scheme. Students whose annual family income is less than INR 4.5 lakhs are eligible to get scholarships. They will be awarded the following benefits once eligible:
- Full tuition fee reimbursement
- Hostel expenses up to INR 2200 per month
- Books and Stationery allowance up to INR 3000 per year
- Laptop or computer worth INR 45,000
NIT Calicut Faculty
The institute has 295 highly qualified members across its engineering departments, out of which 252 are Ph.D. holders from reputed universities. The faculty members are all very accomplished and hold the expertise and considerable experience in their respective disciplines.
NIT Calicut FAQs
Q. What is the criteria for admission to MBA for sponsored students?
Ans. Candidates sponsored by their employers should have a minimum work experience of three years in the sponsoring organization. Applicants with a valid score in CAT/CMAT or equivalent would be preferred. Students are selected based on their performance in a Personal Interview.
Q. How many seats are there in NIT Calicut for Civil Engineering?
Ans. 61 seats are allotted to students from Kerala and 62 seats are allotted to students from all over India.
Q. What is the highest and average package of NIT Calicut?
Ans. The highest package offered by the University is INR 67.6 LPA and the average package offered is INR 13 LPA.
Q. How much is the hostel fee for SC/ST students from Kerala?
Ans. The hostel fee for SC/ST students from Kerala is INR 5000.
Q. Will there be any entrance test for admission to the Ph.D. program at NIT Calicut?
Ans. No, there is no entrance test for admission to the Ph.D. program. The candidates who fulfill the eligibility criteria can take admission to the Ph.D. program. Visit the official website to take admission nitc.ac.in
Q. Is NIT Calicut a good college?
Ans. NIT Calicut is a great institute in terms of academics, faculty, and infrastructure. The college has a good environment to study in and has an excellent placement record as well.
Q. Is NIT Calicut good for CSE?
Ans. CSE is the most opted course at NIT Calicut. The placements for CSE are higher than any branch available in the institute. About 99% of CSE students got placed who had a CGPA of 6.5 and above.
Q. How is NIT Calicut placement?
Ans. NIT Calicut provides impressive placement opportunities to its students. In the recent placement drive of 2020, the highest salary package offered was INR 49.75 LPA, while the average CTC stood at INR 11.58 LPA.
Q. How many departments are there in NIT Calicut?
Ans. NIT Calicut has 12 different departments, 8 Centres, and 3 different schools to offer graduate and postgraduate degrees.