Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS), Pilani Overview
BITS Pilani Overview
Spread across an area of 328 acres consisting of 15 academic departments and 13 student hostels the NAAC accredited Birla Institute of Technology and Science in Pilani is one of the few universities in India that follows a “No Reservation Policy” for admission. The university in addition to Pilani also has three other campuses namely BITS Pilani Goa, BITS Pilani Hyderabad and BITS Pilani Dubai.
The institute offers a total of 107 academic courses including 22 B.E. Honors streams and 33 courses under the M.E programme. BITS Pilani offers Undergraduate, Post-graduate and Doctoral-level educational degrees, admission to which is based on the entrance exams conducted by the university itself.
Today BITS Pilani holds a rank of 25th in the college rankings of NIRF 2019. It had a previous rank of 17th and 16th in the years 2018, and 2017, respectively. It was also ranked 109th globally in the QS BRICS University Rankings of 2018.
The buzzword is ‘the excellent faculty’ as told by the very own students of BITS Pilani, who also reviewed the faculty as very meritorious and competent in their respective fields and capable of imparting the same excellence to their audience. Also, each faculty member is quite approachable both on and off the classroom to support and attend to specific students’ needs.
BITS Pilani Courses offered and Fee Structure
The courses offered at the Birla Institute of Technology and Science Pilani range from various academic branches like Engineering, Science, Business & Management Studies, Humanities & Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences and IT & Software Design. The degrees provided at the institute are B.E. / B.Tech, MBA/PGDM, M.E./M.Tech, B.Pharma, M.Sc., B.Sc., PhD and M.Pharma. Following is a brief discussion of the course structure under the engineering degrees.
BITS Pilani Course Highlights
- BITS Pilani offers four years B.E course with a fee of 15.65 lakhs.
- The institute also conducts a Masters of Engineering programme, which is a two-year full-time programme with fees of 8.24 lakhs.
- There is also a 3 years full-time PhD course provided by BITS Pilani.
BITS Pilani Admission Process
The admission procedures on grounds of the courses available at the Birla Institute of Technology and Science in Pilani are given below –
- BE / B.Tech - Admission is conducted through counselling on the basis of the marks scored in the Birla Institute of Technology and Science Aptitude Test or BITSAT.
- ME / M.Tech - Admission is conducted through counselling on the basis of the marks scored in the Birla Institute of Technical Science Higher Degree Admission Test also called BITS HD.
BITS Pilani Placements
BITS Pilani concluded its final placements for the year 2017, rewarding an average salary of Rs 11.07 lakh to its students. The Pilani campus witnessed a maximum salary of Rs 35 lakh per annum and an average of Rs 11.47 lakh per annum. The university, inclusive of all its three campuses, welcomed a total of 646 recruiters as told by the chief placement officer-India & Dubai of BITS Pilani University. Around 86% of the total candidates got placed that very year and close to 83% the year before.
The companies and recruiters visiting the campus of BITS Pilani include Accenture, Adobe, Amazon.com, Axis Bank, Capgemini, Cisco Systems, Citi Bank, Cognizant, Flipkart, Genpact, Honeywell, LAVA, Maruti Suzuki, Microsoft, Myntra, Nagarro, Nestle, Newgen, Oracle, Oyo Rooms, Tesco, Uber, Walmart, Wipro etc.
BITS Pilani Result and Cut-off
Mentioned below is the cut off for the Birla Institute of Technology and Science Aptitude Test (BITSAT) 2018, for the B.E./B.Tech programme:
BITSAT 2018 Cutoff
|Electrical & Electronics||338|
|Electronics & Instrumentation||319|
BITS Pilani Alumni Network
The BITS Alumni Association (BITSAA) and the BITSAA International is slowly becoming one of the strongest alumni networks present in any university or academic institution of the country. The alumni association was formed in the memory of an ex-student who lost his life in the saddening September 11 attacks of 2001. BITSAA has raised a sum close to over $2 million for supporting various causes and the network today has a crucial impact on BITSian lives spread all around the globe. Over the past few years, BITSAA has witnessed a major growth both in size and the amount of work it makes possible. It tracks a total of 30,000+ ex-scholars through its online directory, which also offers free membership.
BITS Pilani Scholarships
The Scholarships offered at BITS Pilani are mainly based on the following categories:
- For New Admissions
- Board Toppers
- Merit in Qualifying Examination
- Merit in BITSAT (BITS Online Admission Test)
- Merit in Competitive Examinations
- Sports Excellence
- Merit Scholarship for continuing students
- Other Special Concessions
- For UAE Nationals
- For Sudden bereavement of earning member of the family
- For Physically Challenged Students
- For Sibling
At a particular time, an eligible candidate can avail more than one scholarship unless mentioned otherwise, provided the total amount of the scholarship is not greater than 50% of the
tuition fee value of the ongoing semester.
- Library: The library at BITS Pilani can accommodate over 8,000 students, provides 738 study places and 246 IT work stations, which are always open for access. The library offers easy search procedures with the help of the library catalogue. Being a BITS Pilani student allows you to access the network of libraries, other than that of the college, as well.
- Hostel: The campus houses one hostel complex for girls and eleven boys hostels. The rooms are fully furnished and equipped with basic amenities like a common room, Cable TV and telephone, Internet connectivity, Solar water heating systems, common kitchen cum mess unit for every set of two boys hostels and a separate mess of its own, situated within the boundaries of the hostel for girls.
- Sports Complex: The sports encouraged at the college include Swimming, Football, Hockey, Cricket, Basketball, Volleyball, Tennis, Badminton, Table Tennis, Athletics, Water Polo and Weight Lifting.
- Labs: BITS Pilani has a rich collection of labs which consists of a Civil Engineering Lab, Chemistry Lab, Computer Lab, Electrical Lab, Electronics Lab, Mechanical Lab, Physics Lab, Computer-Aided Design Lab, Environmental Engineering Lab, Petroleum and Petrochemical Lab, Fluid Flow Lab, Heat Transfer Lab, Mass Transfer Lab, Communication Systems Lab, Embedded Controller Application Centre Lab, Electrical Machines Lab, Instrumentation Technology LabWireless Communication Lab, Analog and Digital Electronics Lab, Microbiology Lab, Genetic Engineering Lab, Biotechnology Lab, Cancer Biology Research Lab, Microscopy Room and an Animal Cell Culture Teaching Lab.
|The Times Group||10|