Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur Overview
IIT Kharagpur Overview
Located in Kharagpur West Bengal, India the Indian Institute of Technology KGP was the first IIT of the country. Launched with humble beginnings of a mere 224 students and 42 teachers, today IITKGP is the home to 1,211 scholars providing them with the best of under and postgraduate education.
IITKGP offers its students a total of 146 different courses in six streams and 45 specializations. Its entire academic structure is divided into courses such as B.E./B.Tech, M.E./M.Tech, B.Arch, MBA/PGDM, B.Sc., M.Sc., Executive MBA/PGDM, Ph.D., M.Arch and MMS.
On the basis of streams, the classification consists of subjects like Engineering, Architecture & Planning, Science, Business & Management Studies, Accounting & Commerce and Medicine & Health Sciences.
IIT Kharagpur was ranked number one under top government universities in 2018, by India Today. It also stood at 24th in QS BRICS University Rankings of 2018. Today it holds the 4th spot behind Madras, Delhi, and Bombay in the NIRF rankings of 2019.
The teachers at IITKGP are very enthusiastic when it comes to research and even encourage the students to think creatively. They also keep the students informed about new projects conducted outside the institution or the country. Allover the professors at Kharagpur IIT are loved by their students for being knowledgeable, motivational and innovative.
IIT Kharagpur Courses offered and Fee Structure
The Indian Institute of Technology in Kharagpur offers a variety of engineering courses under the B.Tech and M.Tech degrees, along with a five-year-long integrated B.Tech (honours) + M.Tech course as well. All over it provides a total of 59 courses under the B.E/B. Tech programme and 58 courses under the M.E/M.Tech programme.
IIT Kharagpur Courses Highlights
- IIT Kharagpur offers a four-year full-time Bachelor of Technology course with a fee of 3.25 lakhs.
- An integrated B.tech+M.Tech course of five years duration is also provided.
- The postgraduate level Master of Technology is a two years course offered by IIT Kharagpur.
- On the doctoral level, the institute offers a PhD course with a duration of three years.
IIT Kharagpur Admission Process
The admission procedures on the grounds of the courses available at the Indian Institute of Technology in Kharagpur are given below –
- BE / B.Tech - Admission is based on JOSAA counselling, which is determined by the rank obtained in JEE Advanced. The marks scored in the Higher Secondary Examination is also taken into account.
- ME / M.Tech - GATE qualified candidates and IIT graduates can register online with the required information provided in the COAP portal. Students are shortlisted on the basis of the marks scored in GATE and written test.
IIT Kharagpur Placements
In the year 2017-18, almost 89% of the total applicants got successfully placed and most of the jobs offered by companies were in the fields of Coding, Data mining, and Consultancy. The companies that came for recruitment included Flipkart, Amazon, Mercedes Benz, etc.
Each year IITKGP gets to see many students win amazing job offers and also individuals opting for higher education. If students do their recent works on time getting referrals from faculty members, the process of development at an institution is not that hard and nothing is a difference from that at IIT KGP.
The packages offered range from 8 to 40 lakhs per annum and many students also got pre-placement offers as well. The training and placement cell of the institution makes sure that all variety of recruiters, from major ones like Facebook and Google to minor ones like Accenture and TCS visit the KGP campus during placements. Other distinct recruiters include Deloitte, Microsoft, Samsung and ZS Associates.
|Placement Rate||Highest CTC(PA)||Average CTC(PA)||Frequently visited recruiters|
|Nearly 90%||1 Crore||15 Lakhs||Standard Chartered Bank, Capgemini, Intel Technology India Pvt Ltd, Wipro|
IIT Kharagpur Results and Cut-off
Following is the cut off of IIT Kharagpur JEE Advanced 2018 (gender neutral) round one, for the B.Tech programme:
|Agricultural and Food Engineering||423||3232||1729||612|
|Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering||859||3108||1645||864|
|Computer Science and Engineering||1301||134||73||47|
|Electronics and Electrical Communication Engineering||1469||381||164||165|
|Industrial and Systems Engineering||2284||1777||1126||650|
|Manufacturing Science and Engineering||3136||2183||1293||882|
|Metallurgical and Materials Engineering||3216||2210||1249||766|
|Ocean Engineering and Naval Architecture||3466||2775||1645||777|
|Computer Science and Engineering||4023||1876||1061||611|
IIT Kharagpur Alumni Network
The Students Alumni Cell of IIT Kharagpur aims to strengthen and maintain a life-long bond between the institute and its alumni. It volunteers to bridge the gap between the institute and its esteemed scholars who once used to be a part of it.
It has successfully organised events like the Annual Alumni Meet and the Regional Student Alumni Meet, held regular guest lectures by alumni members, published the annual literary magazine (Yearnings of Yore) as well as the annual yearbook.
The Cell also administers the My Imprint (Giving Back - Alumni contribution), Student - Alumni Mentorship Programme, and Alvida (the annual farewell dinner).
IIT Kharagpur Scholarships
IIT Kharagpur offers its students a number of scholarship programmes to help them cope with their monetary needs to support their education without having to depend on parents’ grants or be a victim to poor financial backgrounds. A few of the endowments offered by IITKGP are:
- Merit cum Means Scholarship
- Free Mess and Pocket Allowance
- Inspire Scholarship
- SGR International Travel Grant
- Organizational Scholarships & Fellowships
- My Imprint Special Assistance
- Alumni Scholarships & Awards
The institute also provides financial assistance to students who are willing to practice research, run entrepreneurial ventures or travel abroad for conducting innovative projects.
IIT Kharagpur Campus Facility
- Library: The central library at IITKGP is considered to be one of the largest and finest technical libraries of the continent. The Library follows an IP based provision of access to its students. It keeps a collection of 20,664 full-text e-Journals, more than 3.5 Lakh documents, 26,000+ online full- text journals, 100+ print journals subscription and 1,22,744 full-text e-books.
- Cafeteria: Alongside canteens, Kharagpur’s IIT also houses eateries like Baskin Robbins Ice Cream Parlour, Cafe Coffee Day (CCD), Subway, Heritage Restaurant, Dreamland Restaurant, Sahara Restaurant etc.
- Hostel: IIT Kharagpur has 21 hostels out of which 16 are for boys and 5 are for girls and allows room to more than 12,000 students of the college. All the hostels are equipped with basic amenities like reading room, mess, indoor sports, TV etc. Students are given options for both single and double sharing rooms.
- Sports Complex: The college has a Badminton Court, Basketball Court, Squash Court, Tennis Court, Pool Tables, Volleyball Court, Aquatic Center and also provides Weightlifting Facilities.
|India Today (Engineering)||2|