With so many publishers out there in the market and the heavy amount that gets invested on marketing by these publishers put the aspirants of CAT 2019 under the most popular confusion of selection of right books that are needed for preparation of CAT 2019.
The availability of books in the market is highly varied and what the CAT 2019 aspirant has to focus while choosing a book for preparation is the sync that they would have with an author or publisher with respect to their preparation strategy and studying methodology. This is being said as the content of each book available in the market is almost the same for most of the books; however, what differs is the way the concepts are explained.
Therefore, we at PaGalGuY are listing out the books that are
- Mostly used by the CAT aspirants
- Recommended by toppers of previous CAT examinations
The books to be chosen also vary depending on the stage of preparation the CAT 2019 aspirant is in at this point in time.
So it is preferred that you visit a book mall (not a book store), have time in your kitty assigned completely for book selection on a day and select the books based on
- The stage of preparation you are in at present
- The style of writing or explanation that suits you
- The section of the CAT 2019 exam that you want to prepare from books, namely quantitative aptitude ( QA), Verbal and reading comprehension (VARC) and Data interpretation and Logical reasoning ( DILR)
Stay connected with fellow students on PaGaLGuY for Books for CAT preparation
The books discussed here are based on the structure of the CAT 2019 examination. Let us discuss one after another:
For preparation of Quantitative Aptitude (QA):
|Recommended book||Why this recommendation|
|1||NCERT class 6 – 10 textbooks – Mathematics||
It is always advised to have complete grip on your basics before you go ahead with higher order preparations. Apart, CAT 2019 is all about high school Mathematics and English.
Therefore, these books can definitely help and are reliable sources to start with.
We do not recommend you to buy them as these re available for free download on www.ncert.nic.in
|2||How to Prepare for Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT by Arun Sharma||
|3||Quantitative Aptitude for Competitive Examinations by Abhijit Guha||
|4||Quantitative Aptitude Quantum CAT by Sarvesh Verma||
|5||Quantitative Aptitude for CAT by Nishit Sinha||
For preparation of Verbal ability and reading comprehension (VARC) :
1. How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for the CAT by Arun Sharma and Meenakshi Upadhyay
This book is handpicked for students who want to
- Brush up their concepts in verbal and make their reading comprehension skills better.
- The topics covered in this book are suitable for various MBA entrance examinations.
- The book provides a huge scope for practice and therefore self-assessment
2. Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for the CAT by Nishit Sinha
This book is of person publication and is
- Provides numerous tests
- Provides unique problem solving techniques and approaches
3. Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis
This is one of the oldest and highly popular book for anyone who seek to learn grammar. The book also focuses on improving the candidates’ vocabulary.
It is not a book to prepare specifically for CAT, but the speed in CAT mainly depends on the vocabulary you have. Therefore, everyday time spent on this book to improve your grammar and vocabulary will take you a long way.
4. High School Grammar and Composition by Wren and Martin
Another popular book, considered highly sacred in the field of English grammar.
The book’s ability to conceptualize a topic and make the reader understand multiple aspects of a single phrase is the most eye catching aspect of this book.
Since, in CAT exam, the Para jumbled sentences and other grammar questions expect a phrase or paragraph to be considered in many different ways, this book can come to the rescue.
Books for Data interpretation and logical reasoning:
- A Modern Approach to Logical Reasoning by R.S. Agarwal
This CAT book by R.S. Agarwal is to begin with the most fundamental thinking issue as it is very easy to get it. It is divided into various segments, for example, rationale, proclamations, inductions and contentions, suppositions, ends, course of activities, intelligent riddles, and so forth.
- How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning for CAT book by Arun Sharma
How to Prepare for Date interpretation for CAT book by Arun Sharma
This book by Tata McGraw Hill contains all topics to be considered under Logical Reasoning for CAT and other placement tests. Every subject is clarified with tackled precedents pursued by a progression of issues with different toughness levels to illuminate which gives an individual enough practice for this segment
While it is very difficult to buy all the books, it is essential that you physically check the book at various books at a book mall, compare and choose what suits you the best.
There is no need to say about checking the prices online for the books being bought to compare prices.
For more updates on CAT 2019 and other MBA entrance examinations, subscribe to our page and share it with your fellow MBA aspirants.
For more CAT 2019 Articles please check below: