Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Delhi Overview
IIT Delhi Overview
Established in 1961, the Indian Institute of Technology is rooted at Hauz Khas, Delhi, India and has an area of 320 acres (or 1.3 km²), surrounded by the Sri Aurobindo Marg, the Jawaharlal Nehru University Complex, the National Council of Educational Research and Training and the New Ring Road.
IIT Delhi offers education on several streams under the Bachelor of Technology programme along with courses on dual degree B.Tech-cum-M.Tech programmes as well. It also offers postgraduate tuition for degrees like M.Tech, M.S., M.Sc. and M. Des thus providing a total of 69 courses.
Inaugurated on August 17th 1961, by Professor Humayun Kabir, IIT Delhi has been the top-ranked institutions in India for the years 2016 and 17 by Outlook India and today holds the second position following IIT Madras by NIRF 2019. It was also ranked 17th in QS BRICS University Rankings of 2018.
The faculty at IIT Delhi is lauded for their intellectual capability, unique teaching style, course structure, utility, rigour, delivery, dedication towards students' learning and compassion. Most professors have at least four or five of the above qualities making them a favourite among students and the right guide for their academic journey.
IIT Delhi Courses offered and Fee Structure
The academic structure of the Indian Institute Of Technology in Delhi consists of a total of 69 courses from a variety of streams like Business & Management Studies, Design Engineering, Humanities & Social Sciences and Science. On grounds of engineering studies, the institute offers 15 courses under the B.Tech programme and 36 under M.Tech. Following is a brief analysis of the same:
IIT Delhi Course Highlights
- Streams under B.E/B. Tech degree includes Computer Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computing, Civil Engineering, Textile Engineering, Production and Industrial Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Power and Automation Engineering, Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering and Engineering Physics.
- Streams under M.E/M.Tech programme: Instrument Technology, Construction Technology and Management, Computer Science and Engineering, Power Electronics, Electrical Machines and Drives, Industrial Tribology and Maintenance Engineering, Integrated Electronics and Circuits, Polymer Science and Technology, Radio Frequency Design and Technology, Optoelectronics and Optical Communication, Rock Engineering and Underground Structures, Biomedical Engineering etc.
- The college also offers a two year and three-year full-time PhD course.
|B.Tech||4 years||At least 75% (65% for SC/ST) marks in 10+2 or in the top 20 percentiles in the respective 10+2 board examination||8.47 lakhs|
|M.Tech||2 years||BE / B.Tech or M.Sc in the relevant discipline||2.59 lakhs|
|POST GRADUATE DIPLOMA IN CIVIL ENGINEERING||1 year||A bachelor’s degree in the relevant discipline||66,450|
|MS (R)||2 years||BE/ B.Tech or M.Sc degree in the relevant discipline||2.59 lakhs|
|PhD.||3 years||M.E/ M.Tech or MD degree with at least 60% (55% for SC/ST/PH) marks in aggregate. OR 60% (55% for SC/ST/PH) marks in MBBS/ M.Sc/ MBA/ MA. OR Minimum 70% marks in B.E/ B.Tech||1.91 lakhs|
IIT Delhi Admission Process
The admission procedures on grounds of the courses available at the Indian Institute of Technology in Delhi are given below –
- BE / B.Tech - Admission is based on JOSAA counselling, which is determined by the rank obtained in JEE Advanced. The marks scored in the Higher Secondary Examination is also taken into account.
- ME / M.Tech - Willing candidates can register online with the required information provided on the college website. Selected candidates will then sit for written exam or interview on the basis of the marks scored in GATE. Candidates who have scored a C.G.P.A. of 7.5 or more in B.E/B. Tech./ M.Sc. and the required cut off marks in GATE don’t have to appear for the written test or interview. Candidates are shortlisted on the basis of the marks scored in GATE and qualifying exam. The performance in written test and interview is also taken into account.
IIT Delhi Placements
Around 750 candidates have received jobs in companies of their choice after the end of the first phase of counselling in IIT Delhi. With about 900 job offers the institute has successfully observed a 22% rise in selection rates. The number of companies and recruiters have also increased by 20%.
The streams that witnessed a rise in the number of participating organisations include Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Chemical Engineering. The college also expects an exponential rise in the number of recruiting companies searching for candidates in the sectors of data science, stochastic modelling, artificial intelligence, predictive analysis and machine learning.
Out of the 350 companies that registered for placement in the year 2018 a few of the distinguished names include Uber, Amazon, Flipkart, Zomato, Deloitte, Google, Shell, KPMG, IBM, Dell, Wipro, Infosys, Absolut Data and Ernst & Young.
|Number of international offers||Number of PPOs bagged by students||Number of PPOs accepted by students||Highest Salary in LPA||Average Salary in LPA||Recruiters|
|43||160||90||1.4 crore||16 lakhs||Uber, Amazon, Flipkart, Zomato, Deloitte, Google, Shell, KPMG, IBM, Dell, Wipro, Infosys, Absolut Data, Ernst and Young|
IIT Delhi Results and Cut-off
To get into an Indian Institute of Technology the candidate needs to be a high secondary pass out and score the minimum qualifying marks in the JEE Advanced exam of the same or following year. Mentioned below is the cut off for IIT Delhi JEE Advanced 2018 (Round 1) of the General Category for the B.Tech programme:
|B.Tech||Computer Science and Engineering||100||31||25||61|
|Mathematics and Computing||300||136||88||174|
|Electrical Engineering Power and Automation||907||326||171||522|
|Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering||3609||1128||651||2438|
|Industrial & Production Engineering||2873||983||660||1661|
|B.Tech. + M.Tech.||Bachelor of Technology B.Tech + Master of Technology M.Tech in Biochemical Engineering and Biotech||4154||1566||NA||2918|
|B.Tech + M.Tech Chemical Engineering||2727||880||539||1674|
|B.Tech + M.Tech Computer Science & Engineering||169||55||64||135|
|B.Tech + M.Tech Mathematics and Computing||448||182||177||308|
JEE-Advanced Closing Rank 2018 for Female
|B.Tech||Computer Science and Engineering||313||112||119||186|
|Mathematics and Computing||830||333||NA||591|
|Electrical Engineering Power and Automation||1699||347||157||874|
|Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering||6722||1587||73||4171|
|Industrial & Production Engineering||5999||1789||626||3622|
|B.Tech. + M.Tech.||Bachelor of Technology B.Tech + Master of Technology M.Tech in Biochemical Engineering and Biotech||7258||1912||NA||6242|
|B.Tech + M.Tech Chemical Engineering||4789||1299||350||3153|
|B.Tech + M.Tech Computer Science & Engineering||505||383||NA||441|
|B.Tech + M.Tech Mathematics and Computing||1088||682||NA||663|
IIT Delhi Alumni Network
The Alumni Association of IIT Delhi is committed to bringing together the ex-Delhi IITians on a common platform to develop a medium of personal and professional support for its members through the philosophy of 'self-help' within the community. The IIT Delhi Alumni Association today has over 50,000 graduate members and the number is growing at a rate of 2,000 members per year.
Being one of the most active alumni associations of the nation the IITDAA provides a source of information about its alumni who are spread almost all over the world, and thus help them to stay connected to their roots. Lastly, it also organises programs and initiates events to relive memories, continue relationships and celebrate years of friendship and togetherness.
IIT Delhi Scholarships
- Scholarship for research: The selected candidate will be provided with a sum of Rs 15,000 per month. The rewarded student has to work 20 hours a week, whereas a student who is offered the TAship or Teaching Assistantship will have to work 8 hours a week in exchange of a reward of Rs.8,000 per month.
- Institute Merit-cum-Means (MCM) Scholarships: Of all the undergraduates studying in the college only 25% are awarded this scholarship. The recipient will also not have to pay his or her tuition fee. The candidates for the first year are shortlisted on the basis of their All India Rank in JEE exam.
Teaching or Research Assistantship: The eligible candidates for the Teaching/Research Assistantship are the non-sponsored students who take admission to the M.S research programmes on a full-time basis. They will have to work 8 hours a week for the department for which they will be paid an amount of Rs 12,400 per month.
IIT Delhi Campus Facility
- Library: The Library at IIT Delhi has a subscription to over 650 current journals and shelters a rich collection of over 1,94,471 books, around 1,03,942+ volumes of journals and about 13,430+ technical reports. It also provides high-speed internet service.
- Cafeteria: The institute has plenty of cafeterias near its academic buildings and also around hostels and canteens, thus providing a good spot for students to hang out or seek refreshment.
- Hostel: The college houses a total of 14 hostels out of which 11 are for boys and 3 are for girls. The hostels are well equipped with amenities like reading rooms, a lounge, an indoor games room and a dining hall. All rooms are facilitated with fast Internet. Printing/Photocopying and STD/ISD/PCO provisions are also available in all the hostels.
- Sports: The available facilities in the sports sector include Badminton Court, Basketball Court, Cricket and Football Grounds, Squash Court, Swimming Pool, Tennis Court, Volleyball Court, Hockey Ground, Weightlifting Hall, Athletics Track, Flood-Lit Jogging Track and an Amphitheatre.
|The Times Group||4|
|World University Ranking||172|
|Asian University Ranking||41|