Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee (IIT Roorkee) Overview
The Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee is the seventh IIT of the country and was initially started by James Thomason in 1847 as the Thomason College of Civil Engineering. It became a university in 1949 and retained its status till 2001. Finally in 2001, by an act of the Government of India, it was awarded the status of an IIT.
IIT Roorkee has 21 academic departments covering the fields of engineering, humanities & social sciences and applied sciences, three units of academic excellence and a few other supporting centres. The Institute provides education on various Undergraduate, Postgraduate, Integrated and PhD Courses in Engineering, Science, Management and Architecture.
IIT Roorkee has successfully maintained its 6th place in the IIT rankings of the National Institute Ranking Framework for the years 2017, 2018 and 2019. It was also ranked 51st worldwide in the QS BRICS University Rankings of 2018.
The faculty at IIT Roorkee is top notch. The professors are highly experienced and qualified. Some professors are quite young as well. Hence a mix of both offers an environment for students to grasp old techniques and methods whereas the young tutors encourage innovative and modern ideas.
IIT Roorkee Courses offered and Fee Structure
The Indian Institute of Technology in Roorkee offers a total of 73 courses under streams like Architecture & Planning, Business & Management Studies, Engineering, IT & Software and Science. All the courses are classified into degrees of B.Arch, B.E. / B.Tech, B.Sc., M.Arch, M.E./M.Tech, M.Sc., MBA/PGDM, MCA and PhD. Mentioned below is a brief analysis of the Engineering courses in IIT Roorkee.
IIT Roorkee Course Highlights
- Students can choose from eleven full-time residential programmes available under the B.Tech streams.
- Under the integrated dual degree courses, that includes B.Tech and M.Tech, there are 14 streams available to take admission in.
- There are 40 streams available under M.Tech programmes that candidates can choose from.
- IIT Roorkee provides a full-time PhD course in Engineering and Technology for three years.
IIT Roorkee Admission Process
The admission procedures for the courses available at the Indian Institute of Technology in Roorkee are described below –
- BE / B.Tech - Admission is based on JOSAA counselling which is determined by the rank obtained in JEE Advanced. The marks scored in the Higher Secondary Examination is also taken into account.
- ME / M.Tech - Willing candidates can register online with the required information provided by the college. Selected candidates will be asked for a personal Interview on the basis of the marks scored in GATE.
- For PhD candidates, the admission is based on the entrance exams conducted by the institution along with an interview.
IIT Roorkee Placements
The condition of placements at IIT Roorkee is quite satisfying to its students. Distinguished companies like ONGC and Schlumberger usually offer attractive packages of 18 and 32 lakhs per annum respectively. Around 65 percent of the total number of applicants get their desired jobs in on-campus placements while others choose to sit for off-campus recruitment.
The companies visiting the campus include Amazon, Cognizant, Deloitte, Facebook, Google, HDFC Bank, Hindustan Unilever, IBM, ICICI, Indian Oil, Jindal Steel, KPMG, Microsoft, Oracle, shell, Siemens, TCS, Volvo, Wipro, Zomato e.t.c.
Placement Trends 2017-18
|Placement Rate||Highest CTC (LPA)||Lowest CTC(LPA)|
IIT Roorkee Result and Cut-off
The cutoff of JEE examinations is announced after the results are declared. The candidates have to score above the minimum cutoff to get admission into IIT Roorkee. Students failing to score the minimum cutoff are not allowed admission in the institution.
JEE Advanced Opening and Closing Ranks 2018 for IIT Roorkee
|Computer Science and Engineering||278||416||77||101||58||82||138||223|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||915||1200||140||402||124||224||313||605|
|Metallurgical and Materials Engineering||4572||5802||1229||1486||682||884||1908||2755|
|Polymer Science and Engineering||5837||6906||1823||1951||179P||244P||2863||3415|
|Production and Industrial Engineering||3531||4571||1002||1335||720||771||1772||2253|
IIT Roorkee Alumni Network
The IITRAA (IIT Roorkee Alumni Association) ensures interaction within an ever-increasing network through various Alumni meets and updated information & e-newsletters provided on their website. The students of the college get access to the latest technology and innovation needs in engineering, marketing and sales from their experienced pass outs. IIT Roorkee Alumni Association maintains the latest contact information of its alumni thus making possible the consistent sharing of thoughts and collaboration. The members are also provided with demanding facilities as jobs, internships, references and alumni meet.
IIT Roorkee Scholarships
The distinct scholarships offered to the students at IIT Roorkee are:
- Aditya Birla scholarship: The scholarship is provided to the top 15 students of the college based on their rank in JEE advanced. Also, one student each based on the merit plus means, and top scoring students from the departments of Mechanical, Civil, Electrical and Chemical Engineering are eligible to apply.
- James Thomason Scholarship: This scholarship is offered by the institute to the students who have an All India Rank lower than or equal to 300 in JEE Advanced. They are given a reward of Rs 25,000 every month for the entire course if they are able to score a CGPA of 8.0, or above after the completion of an academic year.
IIT Roorkee Campus Facility
Library: The Library at IIT Roorkee houses over 3,20,000 documents, Online databases, CD-ROMs, audio-video material, specifications, standards, theses, reports, etc. It also has a collection of more than 8000 electronic journals.
Cafeteria: IIT Roorkee has plenty of cafeterias. Alongside the canteens which are available with almost every hostel, there are also 3 cafes within the campus named as Alpahar, Nescafe and the University Canteen.
Hostel: The institute has 10 hostels for boys and 3 for girls and 6 hostels are reserved for married candidates. All the hostels are equipped with basic amenities like gym, cyber cafe, Wi-Fi, common room, mess, recreation room, laundry services, water purifiers, TV, security and surveillance system etc.
Sports Complex: The college has a Badminton Court, Basketball Court, Cricket Ground, Football Ground, Squash Court, Swimming Pool, Tennis Court, Athletic Track, Hockey Field and Volleyball Court.
|The Week (Engineering)||6|