KJ Somaiya Institute of Management Studies and Research, (SIMSR) Mumbai Overview
KJ Somaiya Institute of Management Studies and Research, more popularly known as SIMSR, is one of the prestigious B-schools in India that offers full-time and part-time management courses to excel in the competitive corporate world.
SIMSR Mumbai is a top business school that boasts of globally recognized management courses, experienced faculty, state-of-the-art campus, impeccable placement, and illustrious alumni.
KJ SOMAIYA INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT STUDIES AND RESEARCH INTRODUCTION
K.J. Somaiya Institute of Management Studies and Research (K J SIMSR), Mumbai is one of the top B-schools in India. This premier management institute is a part of Somaiya Vidyavihar, which was established in 1959 by Padmabhushan awardee Shri K. J. Somaiya. Somaiya Vidyavihar comprises 36 individual institutes, including SIMSR, KJ Somaiya College of Engineering, KJ Somaiya Medical College, and KJ Somaiya College of Arts and Commerce. Somaiya Vidyavihar provides educational programs along with experiential learning across its numerous courses for academic excellence and intellectual competence to adapt to the rapidly evolving world. Besides, in addition to the Vidyavihar complex, the Somaiya Trust has also established Ayurvihar KJ Somaiya Sion campus, which houses the K. J. Somaiya Institute of Engineering and Information Technology.
In the year 1981, KJ Somaiya Institute of Management Studies and Research SIMSR was established in Mumbai as a part of Somaiya Vidyavihar to impart state-of-the-art education in management and allied fields. Somaiya College of management enjoys autonomous status as granted by the University Grants Commission (UGC) and offers several programs - PGDM, Masters, Part-Time Masters, and Doctoral. Besides, KJ Somaiya PGDM and MMS programs have been accredited by the National Board of Accreditation (NBA).
Over the years, SIMSR Mumbai has continuously added to the intellectual resource of the country through its innovative teaching methodologies and experiential learning that groom future-ready managers and entrepreneurs. The mentored valuable learning experience offered to students enables them to tactfully tackle the challenges in the real world and maneuver their way up the corporate ladder.
COURSES OFFERED AT KJ Somaiya
Somaiya Institute of Management offers a total of 14 PGDM, Masters, Part-Time Masters and Doctoral programs that are in sync with the latest industry happenings and practices. All SIMSR Mumbai programs are affiliated to the University of Mumbai, along with boasting other accreditations.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management - PGDM: It is a 2-year, full-time, AICTE approved postgraduate management diploma course. It offers specialization in Finance, Marketing, Human Resource Management, and Operations.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management - International Business - PGDM-IB: It is a 2-year, full-time, AICTE approved, marketing super-specialization postgraduate management diploma course. Along with common courses in Finance, Marketing, Human Resource Management, Operations & IT and specialization in International Business, it also offers exclusive courses, such as International Finance (including FEMA) and Intellectual Property Rights.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management – Retail Management - PGDM-RM: It is a 2-year, full-time, AICTE approved, marketing super-specialization postgraduate management diploma course in retail management. It also comprises certain unique courses, such as E-Retailing & E-Business, B2B Marketing & Industrial Retailing, and Event Management, among others.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management – Financial Services - PGDM-FS: It is a 2-year, full-time, AICTE approved, postgraduate management diploma course in finance that makes students industry-ready with contemporary skills.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management – Health Care Management - PGDM-HCM: It is a 2-year, full-time, AICTE approved, super-specialization postgraduate management diploma course in healthcare. This KJ Somaiya MBA program is offered in collaboration with Imperial College, Health Partners, London, as well as in academic partnership with K.J. Somaiya Hospital & Research Centre and other international institutions.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management – Executive PGDM-EXEC: It is a 15-month, full-time, AICTE approved, postgraduate management diploma course for working professionals. This flagship program of KJ Somaiya Institute of Management Studies and Research emphasizes on Leadership and Strategic Focus.
- Masters in Management Studies – MMS: It is a 2-year, full-time postgraduate course in management studies. This course helps students inculcate hands-on skills, critical thinking and an in-depth understanding of business to make a mark in the fierce and competitive market.
- Masters in Computer Application – MCA: It is a 3-year, full-time postgraduate course in computer science or IT. The course aims to provide strong conceptual learning along with technical insights as well as application design and development.
- Masters in Marketing Management – MMM – Part Time: It is a 3-year, part-time postgraduate course in marketing management that equips students with skills to excel in the field of marketing and allied industries.
- Masters in Financial Management – MFM – Part Time: It is a 3-year, part-time postgraduate course in financial management that is in complete sync with the latest industry trends.
- Masters in HRD Management – MMHRD – Part Time: It is a 3-year, part-time postgraduate course in HRD management that boasts of an extremely comprehensive curriculum to shape future-ready professionals.
- Masters in Information Management – MIM – Part Time: It is a 3-year, part-time postgraduate course in information management to help students develop an analytical mind. This is acquired with the aid of the theoretical and practical curriculum of this course.
Once the admission is granted, selected candidates need to pay the KJ Somaiya MBA fees for the first year. Since the fee is subject to revision, the exact amount is informed at the time of admission. K.J Somaiya fees can be paid either by account payee demand draft, payable at Mumbai or NEFT to K.J. Somaiya Institute of Management Studies and Research. Besides, the second-year fees need to be paid as per the schedule announced.
SIMSR ELIGIBILITY/SELECTION PROCESS & FEES
The eligibility criteria for applying to PGDM / PGDM-IB / PGDM-FS / PGDM-RM / PGDM-COMM / PGDM-HCM program is to appear for the qualifying test, namely CAT / XAT / CMAT / GMAT. Subsequently, candidates need to fill an online KJ Somaiya admission form. Shortlisting of candidates, based on the test score, forms the next step of the selection process. They then have to appear for GD-PI. Thereafter, the merit list of the selected candidates is declared by the KJ Somaiya Institute of Management Studies and Research.
Following is the weightage given to respective parameters:
- Qualifying Exam (CMAT / GMAT / CAT / XAT) - 35%
- Group Discussion - 17%
- Personal Interview - 25%
- Work Experience - 5%
- Past Academic Record - 10%
- Outstanding Achievements - 8%
|Course||Eligibility||Fees (IN INR)|
|PGDM||Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks with a valid CAT, CMAT, GMAT or XAT score - For PGDM Executive course work experience of minimum 5 years is required||13.66 Lakhs|
|PGDM - International Business (IB)|
|PGDM - Retail Management (RM)|
|PGDM- Financial Services (FS)|
|PGDM- Communication (COMM)|
|PGDM - Healthcare Management (HCM)|
|PGDM - Executive||7.50 Lakhs|
|Masters in Computer Applications (MCA)||Graduation degree with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks in any discipline||2.83 Lakhs|
|Masters in Management Studies (MMS)||2.68 Lakhs|
|Part-Time Masters in Marketing Management||Bachelor’s degree with getting at least a minimum of 50% aggregate marks in any discipline and also have to give an entrance exam conducted by the Institute||88,000/-|
|Part-Time Masters in Financial Management|
|Part-Time Masters in Information Management|
|Part-Time Masters in HRD Management|
|PhD||Candidates must have a master’s degree or an integrated master’s degree with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks||11.99 Lakhs|
KJ SOMAIYA ADMISSION 2019
KJ Somaiya admission process to PGDM / PGDM-IB / PGDM-FS / PGDM-RM / PGDM-COMM / PGDM-HCM is very simple. The entire admission process to varied PGDM courses consists of the following steps:
- Appearing for Qualifying Exam: Aspirants need to appear for CAT / XAT / CMAT / GMAT.
- Shortlisting: Candidates are shortlisted, based on the qualifying test score. They need to register first, and for this, they need to fill the candidate profile form and SOP on the official Somaiya Edu website - https://www.somaiya.edu/ wherein they have to create a unique Somaiya login and follow all the instructions for successful submission of their admission form.
- Group Discussion & Personal Interview: The next step is GD-PI, wherein candidates take part in case-based GD and in-depth PI. Group Discussion & Personal Interview is conducted in different Indian cities.
- Merit List: Thereafter, the consolidated merit list of selected candidates is declared.
- Seat Allocation: Candidates are allocated seats depending upon merit positions, preferences, and availability of seats.
Please note that KJ Somaiya last date for submission of the online admission form is January 14, 2020, for PGDM / PGDM-IB / PGDM-FS / PGDM-RM / PGDM-COMM / PGDM-HCM programs. Also, candidates can opt for one PGDM program, mentioning their preferences in the admission form.
KJ SOMAIYA PLACEMENTS
One of the biggest advantages of studying at KJ Somaiya Institute of Management Studies and Research Mumbai Maharashtra is the holistic development of students that make them business-ready and better equipped to tackle the challenges of the industry. K.J. Somaiya placements 2018-2019 season saw 99% of students getting sought-after profiles with competitive packages in leading companies across varied sectors. Amongst all the programs, the PGDM batch accounted for Highest K.J. Somaiya Package – 27.5 LPA as well as Highest KJ Somaiya Average Package – 10.39 LPA.
Some of the key highlights of the 2019 placement season are as follows:
- Highest Package PGDM: 27.5 lakhs per annum
- Highest Package PGDM-IB: 16.23 lakhs per annum
- Highest Package PGDM-RM: 15 lakhs per annum
- Highest Package PGDM-FS: 24 lakhs per annum
- Highest Package PGDM-COMM: 15.68 lakhs per annum
- Highest Package MMS: 15 lakhs per annum
- Highest Package PGDM-EXEC: 15 lakhs per annum
- Average Package PGDM: 10.39 lakhs per annum
- Average Package PGDM-IB: 9.63 lakhs per annum
- Average Package PGDM-RM: 9.27 lakhs per annum
- Average Package PGDM-FS: 9.49 lakhs per annum
- Average Package PGDM-COMM: 9.15 lakhs per annum
- Average Package MMS: 9.03 lakhs per annum
- Average Package PGDM-EXEC: 9.25 lakhs per annum
- Total Recruiters: 170 (including prominent names like ITC, Amazon, Hindustan Unilever, Accenture, Deloitte, HSBC, Axis, Barclays, Dell, Cognizant, KPMG, Godrej, Abbott, ICICI, PWC, Ernst & Young, etc.)
- New Recruiters: 35
- Sector-wise Placements:
- Banking & Insurance: 31%
- IT: 20%
- Financial Services: 16%
- Manufacturing & FMCG: 13%
- Consulting: 10%
- Conglomerate: 10%
KJ SIMSR CAMPUS FACILITIES
KJ SIMSR is a part of the Somaiya Vidyavihar campus that spreads across 60 acres. The state-of-the-art campus has all the modern-day facilities to ensure the holistic development of the students, ranging from the institute’s two well-designed buildings spread across 150,000 sq. ft. to the well-equipped medical room. In addition, SIMSR campus is completely vegetarian / non-smoking /non-alcoholic. Following are some of the other highlights of K.J. Somaiya College Mumbai campus:
- Wi-Fi Enabled
- AC Classrooms
- Well-Equipped IT Centers
- Fully Computerized Library
- Seminar Halls
- Conference Rooms
- Student Discussion Rooms
- Separate hostel for girls and boys
- Recreational Facilities like Cricket Ground, Basketball Court, Volleyball Court, Squash Court, etc.
In addition to the aforementioned facilities, K J Somaiya offers an array of other opportunities to its students, such as industry interactions, student publications, extra-curricular activities, student committees, women’s development cell, etc. SIMSR Mumbai also organizes several events from time to time for its students as well as faculty members. Following are the upcoming events at KJ SIMSR:
- CEPAR: October 11-12, 2019: A Two-Day International Conference on Globalization at Crossroads.
- 2nd International Conference on Challenges in Emerging Economies: November 22, 2019.
- POMS International Conference 2019 India: December 13, 2019: Conference on Supply Chain in the New Environment of Industry 4.0.
- SICTIM 2020 International Conference India: January 10, 2020: 6th Somaiya International Conference on Technology and Information.
- SIFICO 2020 International Conference: January 17, 2020: Conference on Risk Management in Banks and Financial Markets.
- 15th SIMSR Global Marketing Conference: January 23-24, 2020: A Two-Day Conference on MarkTech – Seamless Marketing Technology.
- 7th International HR Conference: January 30, 2020.
- Conference of the EuroMed Academy of Business: February 5, 2020: Conference on Global Business Theories and Practices.
Q. What are the management courses offered by KJ SIMSR?
A. K. J. SIMSR Mumbai offers full-time (PGDM, PGDM-IB, PGDM-RM, PGDM-FS, PGDM-COMM, PGDM-HCM, PGDM-EXEC, MMS) and part-time (MMM, MFM, MHRDM, MIM) management programs.
Q. Does K J Somaiya provide any scholarships?
A. Yes. Few scholarships are offered to economically backward students.
Q. Can I apply for more than one PGDM program?
A. Yes. You can apply for all the five PGDM courses, for which the application fee will only be 2850 plus transaction charges if any.
Q. How can I pay the application form fee?
A. You can pay the fee by DD or online by using a debit/credit card.
Q. Is there any hostel facility available at SIMSR College?
A. Yes. There are separate hostels available for girls (Maitreyi) and boys (Sandipani).
Q. Is K J Somaiya an autonomous institute?
A. Yes. K.J. Somaiya Institute of Management Studies & Research enjoys autonomous status as granted by the University Grants Commission (UGC).
Q. Is K J Somaiya and Somaiya Vidyavihar same?
A. No. K.J. Somaiya is a part of Somaiya Vidyavihar that was established in 1959 and comprises 36 colleges, including SIMSR.
Q. How were PGDM placements 2019?
A. 99% of students got placed during the PGDM placements 2019 season. The highest package offered was 27.5 LPA while the average package was 10.39 LPA.
Q. How much is the expected KJ Somaiya MBA cut off?
A. KJ Somaiya cut off is expected to be around CAT 2019 / XAT 2020: 80-85; GMAT: 550-600 or CMAT 2020: 85-90.
Admissions Related Queries
Phone: +91-22-67283000, 672833050, 672833232, 672833081
K.J. Somaiya Institute Complex
Sarvoday Buddh Vihar Marg, Vidyanagar,
Vidya Vihar East, Ghatkopar East, Mumbai – 400077
Phone: +91-22-67283000, 67283050