Jadavpur University, Kolkata Overview
Founded by the Society for Promotion of Technical Education in 1906, the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and University Grants Commission (UGC) approved Jadavpur University is a public state university situated in Kolkata, West Bengal, India.
Started under the name of Bengal Technical Institute, the University gained full academic autonomy status from the UGC in 2018.
Jadavpur University held an international rank between 601 and 650 among universities in the QS World University Rankings of 2018. In India, it had an overall rank of 13 under the NIRF rankings of 2018.
The university offers a total of 94 courses in branches of Accounting & Commerce, Animation, Architecture & Planning, Arts (Fine / Visual / Performing), Business & Management Studies, Design, Engineering, Humanities & Social Sciences, IT & Software, Mass Communication & Media, Medicine & Health Sciences, Science, Teaching & Education etc.
The faculty at Jadavpur University is considered to be highly qualified with most of them holding a PhD in their respective field of study. The teachers are friendly, experienced, knowledgeable, understanding and helpful.
|The establishment Year||1955|
|Accredited by||NAAC (National Assessment and Accreditation Council) with ‘A’ Grade|
|Affiliations||UGC, NAAC, AIU, AICTE|
|Total number of students enrolled||11808|
|The geographical area of the campus||58 acres|
Courses offered and Fee Structure
Jadavpur University offers a variety of courses in several disciplines. The Undergraduate courses include B.A, B.Arch, B.Com, B.E/B.Tech, B.Ed, B.Lib.I.Sc, B.P.Ed, B.Sc, BBA and BPT. The Bachelor of Arts full-time course provides degrees in Economics, History, English, Political Science, Philosophy, Bengali, Sanskrit and Comparative Literature for a fee of INR 7,200 over a period of three years.
The Bachelor of Science course consists of specializations like Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Geology and Geography. The duration of the UG courses under Jadavpur University is generally three to four years.
The total fee for the B.E programme (four years) is INR 9600, for the B.Sc programme (three years) INR 7200, for the B.Pharm programme (four years) INR 9,600, for the B.Ed programme (one year) INR 15,260 and INR 4,800 for the B.Arch degree (five years).
Jadavpur University courses offered at the Postgraduate level include M.A, M.Arch, M.Com, M.E./M.Tech, M.Ed, M.Lib.I.Sc, M.Lib.Sc, M.Sc, MBA/PGDM and MCA.
The Master of Engineering degree provides specializations in Software Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Automobile Engineering, Civil Engineering, Control Systems, Production Engineering, Printing and Graphic Communication, Chemical Engineering and Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering over a period of two years for a fee of INR 72,000.
The two-year-long Master of Science programme provides degrees in Food and Nutrition, Textiles and Clothing and Human Development for a fee of INR 1.57 lakhs. The total Jadavpur University fees for the M.Com programme is INR 1.16 lakhs and INR 3.10 lakhs for the MBA degree.
All the applicants are admitted to the university courses based on the marks scored in their qualifying degree, entrance examination or admission tests (written and practical). Candidates need to score above a specified mark in these exams to get admitted to a particular course or discipline.
The entrance exams include WBJEE (West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination), NATA (National Aptitude Test in Architecture), GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering), GPAT (Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test), WB JECA (Joint Entrance Examination for admissions to Master of Computer Applications) etc.
Jadavpur University admit card is available on its official website. Aspiring candidates who meet the Jadavpur University eligibility can apply for its preferred courses.
- For Jadavpur University admission to the PhD and M.Phil courses candidates’ selection is done based on the Admission Test conducted by the University.
- For the MA and M.Sc degrees, admission is based on Entrance Test + Qualifying Exam and for the M.P.Ed course performance in Written Test + Practical Test is taken into account.
- Admissions for the BE / B.Tech and B.Pharm courses are based on the performance in WBJEE and for the B.Arch degree, NATA score is also taken into account.
- For the BA course, admission is based on performance in Entrance Exam or Qualifying Exam. For the B.Sc degree, Qualifying Exam score is considered and for B.P.Ed course, Admission test (Practical) + academic results + written test performance is taken into account.
- For Jadavpur University, MTech admissions are done based on the marks obtained in GATE or GPAT or Admission Test conducted by University.
- For M.E, M.Pharm and M.Arch courses, admission is done based on the marks obtained in GATE or GPAT or Admission Test conducted by University.
- MCA admissions are based on WB JECA score.
- For the B.L.I.Sc degree, admission is based on the performance in Written Admission Test and for the M.L.I.Sc degree Merit + Admission Test score is taken into account.
Following are the placement statistics (maximum CTC) of the UG departments of Jadavpur University for the year 2018:
- Chemical Engineering - 17.20 lakhs
- Civil Engineering - 6.00 lakhs
- Computer Science and Engineering - 42.00 lakhs
- Construction Engineering - 7.00 lakhs
- Electrical Engineering - 27.00 lakhs
- Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering - 39.00 lakhs
- Food Technology and Bio-Chemical Engineering - 9.50 lakhs
- Information Technology - 39.00 lakhs
- Instrumentation and Electronics Engineering - 18.30 lakhs
- Mechanical Engineering - 16.80 lakhs
- Metallurgical Engineering - 7.95 lakhs
- Power Engineering - 8.41 lakhs
- Printing Engineering - 7.22 lakhs
- Production Engineering - 13.00 lakhs
- Pharmaceutical Technology - 6.00 lakhs
The companies employing B.Sc students at Jadavpur University placement drive include Phoenix Legal, B.M Birla, Columbia Asia, Taj Group of Hotels, Weavers Studio etc.
Companies recruiting B.Com (Hons) students include Amazon.com, Capital First Ltd, HSBC, IndiGo Airlines, KANTAR Operations, Karvy Consultants, Wipro etc.
Results and Cut-off
Jadavpur University cutoff list is declared for its several courses and degrees once the results of their respective entrance examinations are calculated.
The preparation of the cut-off list is governed by various factors like the highest marks obtained in the examination, the number of candidates appearing for the qualifying exam, the level of difficulty of the exam and the number of seats left in a particular department of the university.
The candidates need to obtain a score which is equal to or more than the cut-off mark specified by the university to get admitted to their desired courses.
For example, B.Tech aspirants need to clear the WBJEE Cut Off, B.Arch aspirants must clear the NATA cut-offs, M.Tech and M.Pharm candidates need to clear the GATE and GPAT cut-offs respectively and MCA students get admitted on clearing the WB JECA cut-offs. The cut-offs are relaxed for reserved candidates like SCs, STs and OBCs.
Jadavpur University has an alumni association which consists of former students of the National Council of Education, Bengal and Jadavpur University (Arts, Science, Engineering & Interdisciplinary) as members for life. It takes responsibility for all events regarding the alumni such as meetings, seminars etc.
The several scholarship programmes offered by Jadavpur University to its students include the following:
- Stipends: These are sanctioned by the DPI office and are usually availed to candidates on a merit-cum-means basis. 80 stipends are offered to the ones in need out of which one - fourth is reserved for the 1st year students.
- Scholarships for reserved candidates belonging to SC, ST and PH categories provided by the State and Central Government.
- Exemption of Fees: Full and Half Freeships are availed to the meritorious candidates if recommended by the departments. A maximum of 10% of the total number of students is covered under the full freeship scheme.
- DPI Special Scholarships.
- Non-NET fellowship programmes for M.Phil and Ph.D candidates.
- Stipend or Scholarships for students of the B.Ed (Physical Education) course.
Jadavpur University campus has a Central Library which has a rich collection of over 6,46,296 volumes of books (including the stock at Salt Lake Campus Library and those offered to the departmental libraries), 13000 theses and dissertations, 80700 bound volumes of journals along with 37000 non-book items such as reports, maps, pamphlets and micro-forms.
The university provides hostel or lodging provisions for both boys and girls. The boy's hostel has a total of 1254 beds while the girl's hostel has 622 beds.
There is a Badminton Court, Basketball Court, Cricket Ground, Football Ground, Tennis Court, Playground, Indoor Stadium, Outdoor Stadium, Volleyball Courts, Kabaddi Court, Kho-Kho field, Athletic Track and a multi-purpose hall. Jadavpur University address is located in 188, Raja S.C. Mallick Rd in Kolkata.
|NIRF (2018) Engineering||12|
|NIRF (2017) Engineering||9|
|NIRF (2017) Overall||12|
|NIRF (2017) Universities||5|
|NIRF (2018) Overall||13|
|NIRF (2018) Universities||6|