Indian Institute of Technology, Madras Overview
IIT Madras Overview
The Indian Institute of Technology at Madras set its foundations in the year 1959, with technical and financial help provided by the former government of West Germany. It was third in the line of the IITs established by the Indian Government and today it is a second home for nearly 8,000 students, 550 faculty members and 1,250 administrative and supporting staff.
The course structure at the institute offers quality education on a variety of streams including non-engineering subjects like BSc, MSc and MBA/PGDM. The engineering branches offer about 7-8 courses in the B.Tech programme and more than 20 courses for the M.Tech degree.
Inaugurated in 1959, by then Union Minister for Scientific Research and Cultural Affairs, Prof Humayun Kabir - today IIT Madras is ranked as the best institute in the nation by NIRF 2019, and has been continuing the same since 2017.
The faculty at IIT Madras consists of a range of well experienced and knowledgeable professors as reviewed by the students. They are mostly PhD holders and are always willing to offer the required help and support to their students and hence are able to impart them quality education and exposure in their line of study.
IIT Madras Courses offered and Fee Structure
The Indian Institute Of Technology in Madras offers its students courses in Bachelor and Master’s Degree and also doctorates in Engineering, Management, Science and Arts. The courses are categorised as B.E. / B.Tech, M.E./M.Tech, MBA/PGDM, M.A., B.Sc. and Executive MBA/PGDM. The streams are classified as Engineering, Business & Management Studies, Humanities & Social Sciences and Science. Here we will discuss the engineering courses only.
IIT Madras Course Highlights
- Choices offered under the B.Tech programme include Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Engineering Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering, Metallurgical and Materials Engineering and Biotechnology.
- Under the M.Tech programme the streams offered are Industrial Metallurgy, Civil Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Combustion and Propulsion, Communication systems, Computer Science and Engineering, Control systems and Instrumentation, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Engineering Physics, Environmental Engineering, Mechanical Design, Manufacturing Systems Engineering, Manufacturing and Precision Engineering, Mathematics and Computing, Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, Microelectronics and VLSI Design, Nuclear Engineering, Ocean Engineering and many more.
- PhD streams include Civil Engineering, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Design, Hydrology and Water Resources Engineering and Aerospace Engineering.
|B.Tech||4 years||Minimum 75% marks in Higher Secondary Examination. There will be no preference of 10+2 marks for calculating the ranks in JEE Main.||3.02 lakhs|
|M.Tech||2 years||Passed Bachelor degree in relevant subject (B.E/ B.Tech) with at least 6.5 CGPA (on 10 point scale) or 60% marks. Relaxation of 5% for SC/ST/ PH candidates.||38,444|
|PhD.||4 to 5 years||Master or a dual degree in the relevant disciplines with the CGPA of 6.5 or above.||32,790|
IIT Madras Admission Process
The admission procedures on grounds of the courses available at the Indian Institute of Technology in Madras are given below –
- BE / B.Tech - Admission is based on JOSAA counselling, which is determined by the rank obtained in JEE Advanced. The marks scored in the Higher Secondary Examination is also taken into account.
- ME / M.Tech - IIT Graduates and candidates who have qualified GATE can register online with the required information provided on COAP. Sponsored category students and NON-GATE Qualifiers need to register separately to the institute. They have to appear for a suitability test/ interview. Admission for IT Graduates and GATE qualified candidates are determined by the college on grounds of marks obtained in GATE and JEE-Advanced.
- PhD - The selection is done on the basis of GATE, CSIR-NET or UGC-NET score followed by an interview.
IIT Madras Placements
The companies and recruiters that visit the campus of IIT Madras include American Express, BCG, Capgemini, Cisco Systems, Citicorp, DE Shaw, Google, IBM, Intel, ITC, JP Morgan Chase, Mercedes Benz, Mahindra and Mahindra, Microsoft, Procter Gamble, Rolls Royce, Samsung, Shell, TATA, Axis Bank, Bajaj Auto, Cognizant, Crayon Consulting, Cummins, Deloitte, Eaton Ltd, ELGi Equipments, EXL Services, Exxon, Flipkart, General Electric, General Motors, Goldman Sachs, HCL Technologies, HSBC, Hyundai, ICICI, ICICI Prudential, Indian Oil e.t.c.
A quantitative analysis of the placement details as per the courses offered at IIT Madras are given below -
|Programs||Maximum Salary Annual (in INR) - lakhs||Average Salary Annual (in INR) - lakhs||Minimum Salary Annual (in INR) - lakhs|
|B.Tech. in Aerospace Engineering||20.00||10.00||4.80|
|B.Tech. in Computer Science and Engineering||113.00||18.28||6.50|
|B.Tech. in Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering||48.75||10.00||4.40|
|B.Tech. in Mechanical Engineering||26.04||10.01||4.80|
|B.Tech. in Electrical Engineering||39.02||15.50||5.38|
|B.Tech. in Chemical Engineering||32.00||11.00||4.80|
|B.Tech. in Civil Engineering||18.95||9.60||4.40|
IIT Madras Results and Cut-off
Admission into an Indian Institute of Technology is always based on the marks obtained by a senior secondary pass out in his or her JEE Advanced exam. Following is the cut off for IIT Madras JEE Advanced 2018 of the General category for the B.Tech and Integrated B.Tech + M.Tech programmes:
|Computer Science Engg.||200||63||37||89|
|Metallurgical and Materials Engg.||4218||1121||676||1984|
|Naval Architecture and Ocean Engg.||5830||1582||23||2606|
B.Tech + M.Tech.
|Naval Architecture & Ocean Engineering||6256||1609||35||2614|
|B.Tech Mechanical Engineering + M.Tech Product Design||1948||598||356||80|
|B.Tech Civil Engineering + M.Tech Structural Engineering||4419||860||294||1706|
|Metallurgical & Materials Science||4500||1253||NA||2385|
IIT Madras Alumni Network
The college holds several events to bring back its past scholars together to ensure renewal of memories and continual of relationships. Upcoming events include Silver Jubilee Reunion 2019, for the class of 1994, GJRU 2020, for the batch of 1970, and a prospective event celebrating a Diamond Jubilee. The pass-outs return back to their roots and share their experiences with the young minds thus giving them the necessary knowledge to ensure a successful future.
IIT Madras Scholarships
IIT Madras offers its students a total of eleven scholarships along with fifteen other reward schemes - a few of the distinct scholarships are explained below:
Institute Merit-cum-Means Scholarship: Eligible candidates include students with parents having an annual income less than or equal to Rs.4,50,000. It is available for only 25% of applied candidates. To renew a scholarship every semester the student needs to have a minimum GPA of 5.0 in the previous semester. 67% of the tuition fee is deducted from the initial amount.
Institute National Prize: Candidates are selected on the basis of their rank in JEE and annual income of parents not being more than Rs.4,50,000. It is available to 7% of the admitted students who are given a one-time scholarship reward of Rs.1000.
Institute SC/ST Scholarship: The candidate’s parents’ annual income should not be more than Rs.4,50,000. Selected students are provided free messing, an amount of Rs.250 per month and tuition fee exemption. To renew a scholarship every semester the student needs to have a minimum GPA of 5.0. in the previous semester.
Indian Women’s Association at Bonn Scholarship: Students are chosen on the basis of their rank in JEE and parents annual income needs to be less than or equal to 5 lakhs. The amount of this scholarship is Rs.1,250 per month and is given to one B.Tech student only for a period of 12 months.
M Sankaraiah and M Saradha (Mathigiri) Scholarship: This scholarship is awarded to the students of B.Tech / Dual Degree in Electrical Engineering on the basis of the highest CGPA score at the end of 4th semester. It is a one-time payment of Rs 20,000.
IIT Madras Campus Facility
There is a provision of WiFi and good internet facility at IIT Madras with every person associated with the institute having their own login ID and password. The classrooms are clean, big, spacious and can fit an average of 100 pupils. There are around 400 labs on the campus all of which are equipped with high tech machinery and latest instruments. The central library of the college is one of the biggest libraries in the country. In terms of health care, every student on the campus is provided medical insurance of Rs 1 lakh. The sports facilities are quite good and the institution houses its own cricket stadium. There is also a national park enclosed within the college boundaries.
|The Week (Engineering)||4|
|The Times Group||5|