Established in 1909, IISc is India’s leading institution of advanced education and research in the sciences and engineering. From its beginnings, IISc’s reputation and preeminence ensure that it attracts the best of young faculty members trained in the best laboratories around the world.
The Institute has a student population of around 4,200, of which there are about 2,750 doctoral students, roughly 950 master’s students, and about 500 students in a four-year, research-oriented undergraduate programme in the sciences.
The Institute also has a Centre for Continuing Education which offers several courses to those from outside IISc. These courses are designed keeping in mind the requirements of non-traditional students like high school teachers, researchers and engineers.
IISc has a vibrant and diverse campus spread over 440 acres of greenery in the city of Bengaluru, formerly Bangalore, India’s hub of high-technology companies (in aerospace, electronics, and information technology), educational and research institutions, and numerous start-ups.
Departments at IISc Bangalore:
- Department of Biological Sciences
- Department of Chemical Sciences
- Department of Electrical, Electronics, and Computer Science (EECS)
- Department of Interdisciplinary Research
- Department of Mechanical Sciences
- Department of Physical and Mathematical Sciences
- Centres under the Director
- Autonomous Societies / centres