Pondicherry University (PU), Puducherry Overview Overview
Founded by the Government of India, the University Grants Commission (U.G.C.) approved Pondicherry University is a collegiate university situated in Puducherry, India. With over 6,500 students and 380 faculty members, Pondicherry University has jurisdiction over the Union Territories of Lakshadweep, Andaman and Nicobar Islands and Puducherry.
Pondicherry University held an international rank between 801 and 1000 among universities in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings of 2019. In India, it had an overall rank of 72 under the NIRF rankings of 2019.
The University offers a total of 319 courses in branches of Accounting & Commerce, Animation, Arts (Fine / Visual / Performing), Banking, Finance & Insurance, Beauty & Fitness, Business & Management Studies, Design, Engineering, Hospitality & Travel, Humanities & Social Sciences, IT & Software, Law, Mass Communication & Media, Medicine & Health Sciences, Science, Teaching & Education etc.
The faculty at Pondicherry University is considered to be highly qualified with most of them holding a PhD in their respective field of study. The teachers are friendly, experienced, supportive and helpful. The faculty to student ratio is 1:25. For more specific information like Pondicherry University address, one can check its official website
|Accredited by||NAAC (National Assessment and Accreditation Council) with ‘A’ Grade|
|Number of affiliated Colleges||90|
|Total number of students enrolled||15904|
|The geographical area of the campus||800 acres|
Courses offered and Fee Structure.
Pondicherry University courses are offered in several disciplines. The Undergraduate courses include B.A., B.E./B.Tech, B.Sc, B.B.A. and B.C.A. The Bachelor of Science + Master of Science full-time course provides degrees in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics and Applied Geology.
The Bachelor of Arts + Master of Arts course consists of specializations like Political Science, Sociology and History. The duration of the UG courses under Pondicherry University is generally four to five years.
The total fee for the B.Sc + M.Sc programme is INR 57,900, for the B.A. + M.A. programme INR 56,500, for the B.E/B. Tech programme INR 1.16 lakhs, for the B.B.A. programme INR 67,023 and INR 78,273 for the BCA degree.
The Postgraduate courses offered by the University include LL.M, M.Com, M.E./M.Tech, M.Ed, M.Lib.I.Sc, M.P.Ed, M.Phil, M.Sc, MBA/PGDM, MCA, MPA and MSW. The Master of Business Administration degree provides specializations in General, Tourism Management, International Business, Insurance, Banking Technology and Consultancy Management over a period of two years for a fee of INR 74,200.
The two-year-long Master of Science programme provides degrees in Chemistry, Mathematics, Economics, Computer Science, Applied Geology, Ecology & Environmental Science, Statistics, Biotechnology, Microbiology, Physics and Food Science & Technology for a fee of INR 31,300.
The University also offers a Master of Arts degree in Economics, Applied Economics, History, Mass Communication, Sanskrit, Political Science, Philosophy, Sociology, Anthropology, French and Hindi for a fee of INR 27,300 over a period of 2 years.
The total fee for the M.Tech programme is INR 31300, for the M.P.A. programme INR 27,300, for the M.Com programme INR 27,300 and INR 27,300 for the M.Ed degree.
The University also offers a Doctor of Philosophy degree in Applied Geology, Chemistry, Maths, Physics and Environment Science & Engineering over a period of 1 year for a fee of INR 3,000.
All the applicants are admitted to the university’s courses based on the marks scored in their qualifying degree, entrance examination, group discussion, personal interview or physical fitness test. Candidates need to score above a specified mark in these exams to get admitted to a particular course or discipline.
The entrance exams include CAT (Common Admission Test), JNU-CEE (Jawaharlal Nehru University Combined Entrance Exam), GATE etc. Pondicherry University admission in different courses is given below.
- Admissions based on Qualifying Degree Merit is conducted for MA, M.Com and M.B.A. (General, Marketing, Finance, International Business etc) degrees.
- Admission based on Entrance Examination conducted by the University is conducted for Integrated MA, Integrated M.Sc, M.Tech, MCA, MA, M.Sc (Applied Geology, Applied Psychology, Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, Bioinformatics) and PG Diploma courses.
- Admission based on CAT score is conducted for courses like MBA (Banking Technology, Business Administration, Insurance Management, International Business, Tourism).
- Admission based on Entrance Examination is conducted for M.Sc, M.Com (Business Finance, Accounting & Finance), M.Ed, MLIS, MPA courses.
- Admission based on Common Entrance Examination conducted by the Pondicherry University in collaboration with Anna University is done for Computational Biology (M.Tech) course and on the basis of JNU CEEB scores admissions are conducted for the Biotechnology (M.Sc) course.
- Admission based on Entrance Examinations Group Discussion + Personal Interview is conducted for the LL.M course and Entrance Examination conducted by the University + Personal Interview + Academic Record is required for admission into PhD courses.
Following are the placement statistics (median package) of the UG and PG departments of Pondicherry University for the year 2018:
- Computer Application and IT (MCA) - 3.50 Lakhs
- Sciences (Dual Degree) - 3.50 Lakhs
- B.Sc - 1.24 Lakhs
- Management and Business Administration (MBA) - 3.50 Lakhs
The companies employing B.Sc students at Pondicherry University include Accenture, CTS, Eureka Forbes, Hindustan Zinc, HONEYWELL, H.P., HSBC, ICICI, IDBI Bank, Infosys, Integra, Kotak Securities, L&T Infotech, Mphasis, Reliance, Satyam, Standard Chartered bank, Sutherland, Syntel., TCS, Tech Mahindra, Williams Lea, Wipro etc
The companies employing B.Tech students include Acheron, Aricent, Athena Health, Bosch Ltd, Broadcom Corporation, Cognizant, H.C.L., I.G.A.T.E., Infosys, Larsen and Toubro, Marico, MRF, Sapient, Shapoorji Pallonji, Sutherland, S.Y.N.T.E.L., T.C.S., Tech Mahindra, ThoughtWorks, Wipro etc
Companies recruiting M.Com (Hons) students include Bank of America, Cognizant, G.E. Healthcare, H.C.L., R.B.S. (Royal Bank of Scotland) etc
Results and Cut-off
Pondicherry University declares the cut-off list for its several courses and degrees once the results of their respective entrance examinations are calculated. The preparation of the cut-off list is governed by various factors like the highest marks obtained in the examination, the number of candidates appearing for the qualifying exam, the level of difficulty of the exam and the number of seats left in a particular department of the University.
The candidates need to obtain a score which is equal to or more than the cut-off mark specified by the University to get admitted to their desired courses. For example, M.Sc Biotechnology aspirants need to clear the JNU-CEEB Cut Off. Pondicherry University MBA admission 2019 will be based on the CAT cut-offs.
The 2018 cut-off for the CAT exam of the MBA degree was a percentile of 70 to 75. Other entrance exams having specific cut-off scores include the GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test Engineering) exam.
Pondicherry University has an alumni association that takes care of all proceedings related to the alumni and the members of the alumni community like meetings, reunions, events, seminars etc.
The scholarships provided by Pondicherry University to its fellow students can be categorized as:
- Merit Scholarship
- Merit-cum-Means Scholarship (MCM)
- Scholarships for M.Sc. Marine Biology and Disaster Management
- Scholarships for M.Tech Computational Biology
- Scholarship for M.Sc. Integrated students
A few of the scholarship programmes available in the University include:
- N.B.H.M. (The National Board for Higher Mathematics, Mumbai) Scholarship
- Rajiv Gandhi National Fellowship / Maulana Azad National Fellowship
- Government of India- D.B.T. Special Fund
- Ministry of New and Renewable Energy(M.N.R.E.) scholarship
- Madanjeet Singh Group Scholarship
- Government of India SC/ST Scholarship
The University offers 100% exemption of fees to physically challenged candidates. It also provides 50% relaxation in fees for candidates belonging to the following categories:
- Non-teaching employees of the University and their wards (Group B, C & D only)
- Defence personnel in Indian Armed and Paramilitary forces
- Deserted women
Pondicherry University campus is spread across an area of around 800 sq meters. The campus offers a wide range of facilities for students as well as the staff. Pondicherry University Library is the central library which hoards a rich collection of around 497248 Prints (2.22 lakhs) and E-Resources (2.7 lakhs, consisting of e-books, e-theses, e-databases, e-journals, Video Talks, Academic Online Videos etc), 38011 Prints and E-Journals.
The facilities offered by the library include complete air-conditioning, WIFI service, special services for the Visually impaired with the help of RFID technology etc The University provides hostel or lodging provisions for both boys and girls.
There are a total of 17 hostel buildings (11 for boys, 5 for girls and 1 for international students) within the university campus. There are Cricket grounds, Football fields, Volleyball courts, Basketball grounds, Tennis courts and facilities for sports like Kabaddi, Handball, Hockey and Kho-Kho.