With 4 months left for CAT 2019 examination, it is very important to have a strategic approach for the preparations. Our experts at Pagalguy are here to help you with this.
The Data interpretation and logical reasoning (DILR) section of the CAT paper seems comparatively easier at a glance. However, it includes aspects of both QA and VARC and therefore is the most difficult to clear the sectional cut-offs for this section, and thus it is advised to be well prepared with DILR.
There are a few things that all candidates must be aware of when they attempt to prepare for the DILR section of CAT 2019.
- Syllabus for DILR section of CAT 2019
- Paper format
- Previous years’ question papers
- Books for preparation
- Category wise cut off marks for DILR section of CAT 2019
SYLLABUS FOR DILR SECTION OF CAT 2019
|● Data Tables|
|● Data charts|
|● Bar diagrams & Simple, Stacked, Composite Bar charts|
|● Pie charts|
|● Graphs – Line X-Y Graphs|
|● Data analysis and Data comparison among others|
|● Caselet based Data|
|● Binary logic|
|● Seating Arrangement|
|● Blood Relations (Family Tree)|
|● Logical Sequence|
|● Linear and matrix arrangement|
|● Team Formation|
|● Direction sense and Decision Making|
|● Set Theory, Venn Diagrams, Network Diagrams|
|● Quantitative Reasoning|
|● Logical Reasoning based on Rankings|
|● Critical Reasoning|
Candidates can figure out the paper format for the DILR section of CAT 2019 when they solve sample papers designed for CAT 2019. It must be kept in mind that CAT does not follow any particular pattern. However, CAT has been following a designated pattern since 2015, so candidates can expect the pattern to remain the same this year too. This section, being the hardest one, demands the most attention from candidates. Therefore, candidates must allot at least 60 minutes to this section.
Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
|Total Number of Questions||32|
|Number of MCQ questions||24|
|Number of non MCQ questions||8|
|Marks for correct answer||+3|
|Marks for incorrect answer||-1|
|Time Allotted||60 minutes|
PREVIOUS YEARS’ QUESTION PAPERS
Solving questions from previous years’ question papers is essential to the core for the DILR section of CAT 2019. Being the hardest section to attempt in CAT, the DILR section demands special attention during the preparation process. By solving earlier question papers, one can get an idea of the level of difficulty of questions, thus assessing themselves and rectifying themselves where required. Candidates must solve previous question papers along with mock tests, constraining themselves to a maximum of 60 minutes, to better their preparation for the DILR section of CAT 2019.
BOOKS TO HELP PREPARE FOR THE DILR SECTION OF CAT 2019
|NAME OF THE BOOK||AUTHOR|
|How to Prepare for Data Interpretation for the CAT||Arun Sharma|
|Data Interpretation and Data Sufficiency||Ananta Ashisha|
|How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning for the CAT||Arun Sharma|
|Analytical and Logical Reasoning for CAT and other Management Entrance Tests||Peeyush Bhardwaj|
|Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for the CAT||Nishit K Sinha|
|A Modern Approach to Logical Reasoning||R.S. Aggarwal|
|Pearson Guide to Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning||Nishit K Sinha|
|Data Interpretation||Nishit Sinha|
Stay connected with fellow students on PaGaLGuY for Books of CAT preparation
CUT OFF MARKS FOR DILR SECTION OF CAT 2019
Different B schools have a different cut off marks every year for each section of the CAT. We have computed an average cut off for the DILR section that can be expected for CAT 2019.
Cut off Marks
PREPARATION TIPS FOR DILR SECTION OF CAT 2019
There are a few things that candidates can do to ensure a good score in the DILR section of CAT 2019.
- Read business newspapers and magazines. Reading business newspapers like The Economic Times can greatly help candidates in the DILR section of CAT. They can attempt to interpret the various graphs on the newspapers and magazines, to help them in the Data Interpretation section of the paper.
- Familiarise yourself with caselets. One of the most prominent questions that appear in the DILR section of CAT is caselets. A caselet will consist of a case within three to four sentences. The DI section pertains to interpreting data related to the caselet and the LR portion consists of deriving family trees, blood problems, etc.
- More mock tests better results. Solving CAT mock tests and previous years’ question papers will allow candidates to get a better idea of the questions that can come, thereby preparing them to face such questions. It also allows the candidate to practice solving the DILR section within a stipulated time of 60 minutes.
We hope that the information we have provided regarding the DILR section of CAT 2019 will help you achieve better results.
For more CAT 2019 Articles please check below: