Education is invaluable. It does not matter whether one is merely a child or an adult; education remains especially important. There is always a constant emphasis on getting a good quality education, whether at the school level or further, at the college or university level.
While the former is crucial to develop basics and to provide an idea of some common yet important concepts, the former is crucial to help develop professional competency; to help one gain knowledge and expertise in any area.
It goes without saying that there is pressure to as well as stress about getting into a good educational institute post-school in order to earn a degree in a chosen field so as to be able to better understand and face the challenges of the chosen profession.
With regards to the above, i.e., university or college-level education, the result, along with abundant knowledge and experience, is a degree.
It is the degree which states that one has successfully graduated, that one has been able to meet the demands of the course, and has done so successfully. And it is this very degree which comes in handy when applying for further courses or when applying for a job since it is proof of having undergone the course or education.
Traditionally, most people choose to enroll in a university or college (or an educational institute) to pursue a specific course of study and to earn their degrees. This means they must physically be present at a location, must physically attend classes, and have to physically appear for examinations and other tests.
However, given the fact that higher education or degrees are not simply meant for first-timers, i.e., those with professional experience or those who have lost touch with education too are eligible to earn a degree, there is an alternative. This alternative is an online degree.
What is an Online Degree?
Technological advancements have made education much more accessible and personalized. While most people continue to opt for traditional degrees, there are many that opt for online ones.
An online degree is one wherein one does not need to physically be present at an institute and can attend the course from just about anywhere if there are an internet connection and a system to access it on.
One can attend live classes or pre-recorded sessions on the system and can appear for tests or can submit assignments the same way.
Online degrees generally refer to college or university level degrees but can also mean school-level degrees. Online degrees offer flexibility. One does not need to go anywhere specifically to learn and can do so within the comfort of their own homes.
One can pursue the course at their own pace, and most importantly, they allow one to be engaged in other kinds of work.
What Are Some Benefits of Online Degree?
- The flexibility of Learning: One of the biggest plus points of pursuing an online degree is the flexibility that comes with it. Since one does not need to go and attend classes at a particular location and can learn sitting at home or anywhere else simply with the help of a laptop or computer and books, one can choose to do so whenever they want. If one is busy or has other things to get done in a day, they can study at any desired time, which is not the case with a traditional degree. Moreover, if there is no need to log in at a time to attend a live class, then there is more flexibility and freedom to set one’s own schedule according to one’s own convenience.
- No Compromise on the Quality of Education: Many might think that online degrees do not provide the same quality of education as traditional degree since there is no one-on-one interaction with the professors or mentors unless via emails or chats, but that is not true. While the course is designed in a different way, it still includes all the concepts that a traditional degree would include so that the students do not miss out on what is important or crucial. If there are any doubts or queries, the assigned professors are available not only on email but also on the phone; the difference being that one cannot immediately find an answer to the query.
- Freedom to Work or Pursue Other Hobbies: Another way in which online degrees offer flexibility or freedom is by providing enough time to continue working or pursue any other hobby full time. Since an online degree allows one to design a personalized schedule, it provides one enough time to take up a job full-time without compromising on education and still add an educational qualification to the resume. The same is the case with a hobby, since one can easily pursue another course on the side, and, in a way, add more to the skill set.
- Lower Costs: While the cost of education in India may depend on the particular educational institute and whether it is government-owned or not, it can still be considerable and might make it difficult for many to pursue a traditional degree. In such cases, online degrees come with much lower tuition and other costs, thus making them a better option for many. Moreover, this minimizes the need to take loans for the same and, in turn, means that one does not need to worry about repaying the loans.
- Choice of Courses: It may sound surprising, but many online degrees offer courses that traditional degrees do not. In other words, when it comes to pursuing an online degree, there is a greater choice of courses as compared to a traditional degree. Not only can one find the desired course through the means of an online degree but can also discover more options that might help advance the career.
Traditional degrees will, perhaps always remain the preferred choice but over the years, online degrees have become much more popular owing to the flexibility they offer in every way, to the quality of education they offer as well as to the fact that they teach important skills such as being able to set a fixed schedule and achieving targets without actually having someone to reinforce them.
Stay connected with fellow students on PaGaLGuY for CAT Exam 2020 Discussion