The IIMs in general have any admission criteria apart from being a graduate and having legitimate CAT score. However, the CAT 2019 will have some eligibility criteria to be fulfilled.
So we will discuss in detail about the criteria one has to fulfil to be eligible to attend the CAT 2019 examination and also the category wise distribution of seats in any IIM as per the government guidelines.
The Common admission test, CAT 2019 will be conducted by a stipulated Indian institute of management, which is popularly known as IIM. The body which conducts the examination will set a qualification criterion, which has to be met to be eligible to attend CAT 2019. All the aspirants of CAT 2019 or of the IIM, need to ensure that they qualify for the examination as per the expected structure.
As indicated by the qualification criteria of CAT 2019, applicants must meet the imperative scholarly accreditations (or academic qualifications) that have been set somewhere around the specialist which will direct the test.
The examination will be conducted over a computer system or personal computer (PC) and therefore the candidate is expected to know the basic usage of the computer systems to be able to attend the exams. Every IIM expects the admitted candidates after the exam to own their laptops, as many a classes are taught using personal laptops. Therefore it becomes quintessential for every to be not just aware of basic computer systems, but also computer savvy.
Let us now try to have detailed understand the major criteria which are very essential to be considered before applying for CAT 2019.
The following are the major criteria which a CAT 2019 aspirant should be aware of:
- Academic Qualifications
- Reservation Criteria – Necessary awareness with regards to CAT 2019
- Consideration of PWD category – Persons with disability
1. Academic Details:
The candidates must meet the following criterion to be able to attend the CAT 2019 examination:
- The candidates who are in the final year of their graduation are eligible to take up the CAT 2019 examinations. However, the candidate should have graduation completion certificate, by the time he/she joins the course.
- Students who have appeared for their final examinations and re waiting for their results can also appear for the examination. Such candidates, if they clear cut off and take admissions, they will be provided with provisional admission and their admission into any of the IIMs will be considered, only once they submit the graduation completion certificate. However, some colleges consider letters from the principal of their graduating colleges, which should attest that the student has completed all necessary requirements to be able to attend classes at IIM and the delay is from the University.
- CGPA requirements :
General Merit and OBC: 50% of marks or equivalent CGPA
SC/ST/PWD: 45% of marks or equivalent CGPA
2. Reservation Criteria – Necessary awareness with regards to CAT 2019
|1||Scheduled Caste – SC||7.5%|
|2||Scheduled Tribe – ST||15%|
|3||Other Backward Classes – OBC||27%|
|4||Persons with disability – PWD||3%|
|5||Economically weaker sections – EWS (Yet to be implemented)||10%|
More details about the reservation categories:
The candidate claiming a seat under the reserved categories of the various Castes and their sub castes should be able to submit or display the original caste certificates, whenever asked for. The caste certificate should clearly mention the following in it without fail, or otherwise the reservation will be withheld for that specific candidate:
- The specific caste category within the scheduled caste, scheduled tribe and the other backward classes should be clearly mentioned on the caste certificate and the same should be in the list prescribed by the government of India in a specific category
- Original residence details right from the village, town, taluka, district, state and country should be clearly mentioned
- Name of the tribe or sub caste if applicable should be written
- The caste related documents should be uploaded in the CAT application form while applying for the CAT 2019. Failing to do this will expel a candidate from being able to enjoy the reservation at a later stage
- At the time of admission, all the documents related to the caste, should be compulsorily submitted in originals
3. Consideration of PWD category – Persons with disability
The following are the major considerations, for which a candidate will be considered for PwD reservation:
- Candidates who have hearing impairment
- Candidates with absence of vision – Blindness
- Candidates who are suffering from cerebral palsy or locomotor disability
- For various other minute details on up to what extent other disabilities are considered, the candidates are requested to go through the section 39 of 1995 act for PwD reservation. In general, any disability which is more than 40% is considered for reservation.
Stay connected with fellow students on PaGaLGuY for CAT 2019 Preparation group
The CAT 2019 applications are expected to be out in Aug 2019 and will be available to be applied by Sep 2019. So be prepared with necessary documents and ensure you are 100% risk free on the application and eligibility criteria fronts.