The study of Management requires one to be smart and know things outside books and job hunting websites. Here is a list of some Hindi as well as English movies that a MBA student should watch. These movies contain some valuable lessons about professional life which is otherwise difficult to teach in classrooms.
1. Modern Times: It is a 1936 comedy film written and directed by Charlie Chaplin in which the protagonist tries hard to survive in the modern, industrialized world. By watching this movie one can easily understand the historical evolution of Management as a discipline and Taylor’s scientific management theory.
2. Manthan: This 1976 movie is based on a story written jointly by Verghes Kurien (the Father of the White Revolution in India) and director Shyam Benegal. It is set amidst the backdrop of the White Revolution of India (Operation Flood) .The film beautifully shows the cooperative movement in India , the channels of milk production and distribution and also the rural empowerment .
3. The Devil wears Prada: It is a story about a young ambitious woman coming to New York to work as a magazine writer. Though she has little to no interest in the garment trade, she lands up getting a job as an assistant to a powerful fashion magazine Head who is a very demanding boss .She struggles to hold on to the job and her sanity, knowing that a recommendation from the boss can open the door to her success as a journalist .But can she sustain the pressure?
4. Rocket Singh: The film shows that salesman ship does not require bribery and cheating. It shows that eventually honesty and hard work is a sound business decision.
5. Office Space: It is an American comedy movie satirizing the work life in a software company and the status of white collar employees in general.
6. Avataar: This 1983 movie is about an aged man with paralyzed hand who after being spurned out by his sons sets out to work again and builds a business empire with sheer hard work and honesty.
7. 12 Angry Men: An ideal movie to understand group behaviour and dynamics .The movie shows how 12 men, who are made to sit in a closed room to decide fate of an accused, discuss it out till the end. In the beginning 11 out of 12 agree to wrap of the case instantly and convict the accused but 1 man stands against the motion and makes everyone debate. How he does it and what comes out of it is the real learning out of this movie.
By:- Rituparna Prasoon.(Faculty of Marketing)