Here are today’s top headlines, compiled for the SSC/Banking and other competitive exams.
G Satheesh Reddy wins first IEI-IEEE award
- Senior DRDO scientist Dr. G. Satheesh Reddy was awarded the first IEI-IEEE Award for Engineering Excellence-2015. He was bestowed with this award in recognition of his significant national contributions towards missiles and aerospace technologies.
- Reddy is a renowned aerospace and navigation scientist. Presently, he is serving as the Scientific Adviser to the Defence Minister and DRDO’s DG (Missiles & Strategic Systems), He had served as Director of the Research Centre Imarat (RCI), a key laboratory of Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Missile Complex of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- He has pioneered many technological developments for Indian Missiles. He had led indigenous development of denied sensor and avionics technologies related to Indian missile navigation. He also has made significant contributions towards successful flight testing of the country’s maiden intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) Agni-V mission. He is also credited with development of the Medium Range Surface-to-Air Weapon System (MRSAM) and the country’s first guided bomb, among others.
- In 2015, he became first Indian to get the fellowship from Royal Institute of Navigation.
- IEI-IEEE Award: It has been constituted by the Institution of Engineers (India) and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Asia Pacific region to mark IEI’s 50th anniversary.
Abhinav Bindra to Head Committee on Rio debacle
- The National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) has constituted five-member review committee to probe the Indian shooters’ Rio Games debacle. The committee will be headed by India’s first and only individual Olympic gold-medallist Abhinav Bindra. It will submit the report within a maximum period of four weeks.
- Other members of the committee include former tennis player Manisha Malhotra, NRAI Secretary Rajiv Bhatia and two journalists.
- Key Facts: The committee will examine and identify causes behind not securing any medals at the Rio Olympics. It will recommend concrete steps that NRAI must immediately undertake to ensure that this is not repeated in further competitions. About National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) The NRAI was founded in 1951to promote and popularize the shooting sports in India. It has is affiliated to Indian Olympic Association (IOC) and all International Shooting Federations/Confederations. Presently, NRAI conducts five national level competitions annually with a view to promote and popularize the sports of shooting in India. The first speaker of Lok Sabha, GV Mavlankar was the founder and the first president of NRAI.
RBI directs banks to extend loans to women SHGs at 7% rate
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has directed banks to provide loans up to Rs 3 lakh at 7 per cent interest rate to Women Self-Help Group (SHG). This loan scheme must be provided under the National Rural Livelihoods Mission (NRLM)-Aajeevika scheme during 2015-16.
- Under this loan scheme, an interest subvention on credit up to Rs 3 lakhs at 7% per annum will be provided. All women SHGs will be eligible for it.
- About National Rural Livelihoods Mission (NRLM)-Aajeevika NRLM-Aajeevika was launched by the Union Ministry of Rural Development in June 2011. In November 2015, it was renamed Deen Dayal Antayodaya Yojana (DAY-NRLM).
- The Mission aided by World Bank aims at creating efficient and effective institutional platforms of the rural poor. It seeks to enable rural poor (below BPL) to increase household income through sustainable livelihood enhancements and improved access to financial services. It is the largest poverty reduction initiative and the largest programme for women in the world with its goal to reach out to nearly 70 million rural households.
Cristiano Ronaldo wins UEFA Best player in Europe award
- Cristiano Ronaldo on 25 August 2016 won the UEFA Best Player in Europe award for 2015-16. He won the award for the second time in three years. Ronaldo defeated Antoine Griezmann and Gareth Bale to bag the honours. In 2014-15, Barcelona’s Lionel Messi was the winner of the award. Ronaldo joins Messi as the only player to win the award twice.
- On the other hand, Messi won the UEFA Goal of the Season award for 2015-16. Messi won the award for his strike against Roma. During the match, he dinked the ball over goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny in a 6-1 win over Roma in the Champions League in November 2015. The famous goal received 73331 votes, giving Messi a 34 percent share.
Here is a list of last four articles on Current Affairs and the Monthly Bullet on Current Affairs for SSC