Here are today’s important headlines with key details for UPSC, SSC, IBPS and other competitive examinations.
‘Psychological First Aid’ as the theme for World Mental Health Day 2016
- The 2016 World Mental Health Day campaign made ‘Psychological First Aid’ as their theme for the year the year 2016 to highlight the importance of both psychological and social support to persons suffering from mental health issues.
- The campaign aims at encouraging people to take control and ownership of their mental health and wellbeing.
- World Mental Health Day is an initiative taken up by the World Federation for Mental Health (WFMH), recognized by World Health Organization (WHO).
- The World Mental Health Day is celebrated on October 10, every year since 1992.
- Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare, Faggan Singh Kulaste on October 10 at a function said, “As a community and as a country, we must collectively create and spread awareness on the multifarious causes and factors resulting in mental health disorders and the available treatment. This shall enhance the avenues for those suffering from mental illness and disorders to lead a normal life with dignity and to be productive.”
UN resolution to stop bombing in Aleppo, Syria vetoed by Russia
- Russia has vetoed the UN Security Council Draft resolution on October 8, which demanded an end to the bombing of Aleppo city in Syria.
- While the resolution won 11 favour votes, Russia and Venezuela vetoed it while China and Angola didn’t vote. This is the fifth time that Moscow used the veto power to stop UN from ending the five-year war in Syria.
- The draft of the resolution was proposed by France and Spain. French Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault urged the Security Council to take immediate actions to save Aleppo from getting destroyed.
- Russia had earlier presented its own draft urging the Security Council for separation of moderate and extremist forces in Syria, without mentioning the halt in bombings at Aleppo. The draft received 4 votes in favour and 9 against.
4th BRICS Science, Technology and Innovation Ministerial Meeting held in Jaipur
- The 4th BRICS Science, Technology and Innovation Ministerial Meeting to strengthen the collaboration amongst the BRICS countries in the area of Science, Technology and Innovation, took place in Jaipur on October 8, 2016.
- The meeting was chaired by Minister of Science & Technology and Earth Sciences, Dr. Harsh Vardhan.
- Vice Minister for Science, Technology and Innovation of Brazil, Álvaro Toubes Prata; Deputy Minister of Federation of Russia, Alexey Lopatia; Vice Minister of S&T of Peoples Republic of China, H.E. Jiang Hua; Minister of Science and Technology of South Africa H.E. Madam Naledi Pandor led their respective country delegations.
- The Jaipur declaration of Building, Responsive Inclusive and Collective Solutions was unanimously adopted by all the BRICS Country.
- The 8th BRICS Summit will be held in Goa on October 15-16, 2016 under the chairmanship of India.
Andy Murray and Agnieszka Radwanska win China Open 2016
- World number two Andy Murray beat Grigor Dimitrov in straight sets 6-4 7-6 (7-2) to clinch the Men’s Singles China Open 2016 final on October 9.
- In Women’s Singles, Polish World Ranked 3, Agnieszka Radwanska beat British World number 9 Johanna Konta in straight sets 6-4 6-2 to clinch the singles trophy.
- World Number 1 Novak Djokovic didn’t take part at the China Open this year, making Andy Murray the top seeded player in the Men’s Single’s draw.
- Pablo Carreno Busta and Rafael Nadal beat Jack Sock and Bernard Tomic to clinch the Men’s Doubles trophy while Bethanie Mattek- Sands and Lucie Safarova defeated Caroline Garcia and Kristina Mladenovic to win the Women’s Doubles title.
- The China Open 2016 took place at the National Tennis Center in Beijing, China from October 3 to 9, 2016.
PV Sindhu appointed as Brand Ambassador of Vizag Steel
- World Number 10 Badminton player PV Sindhu on October 8, got appointed as Brand Ambassador of Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Limited, popularly known as Vizag Steel.
- P V Sindhu will sport the company brand logo on her jersey for all the international and domestic tournaments falling under the Badminton World Federation and Badminton Association of India.
- Sports marketing and brand licensing firm Baseline facilitated the deal between the two.
- P V Sindhu recently won Silver in Rio Olympics and became the first Indian female athlete to win a silver medal at the sporting event.
- VIzag Steel is a corporate entity of Vishakhapatnam Steel Plant and a Navaratna PSE under Union Ministry of Steel.