Anil Dhasmana appointed as new chief of Research and Analysis Wing
The Union Government has appointed senior IPS officer Anil Dhasmana as the new chief of Research and Analysis Wing (RAW). He succeeds Rajinder Khanna who will complete his two year tenure on December 31, 2016.
- Anil Dhasmana has been with RAW for the last 23 years. He has also served in key foreign capitals such as London and Frankfurt.
- His domain of expertise is considered to be Balochistan, counter-terrorism and Islamic affairs. He also has an experience in handling Pakistan, Afghanistan, Europe and SAARC desks.
- RAW is the primary foreign intelligence agency of India established in 1968. It is under the direct command of Prime Minister.
- Its primary function is gathering foreign intelligence, engaging in counter-terrorism, advising Indian policymakers, promoting counter-proliferation and advancing India’s foreign strategic interests.
Rajiv Jain appointed as new chief of Intelligence Bureau
The Union government has appointed senior IPS officer Rajiv Jain as the new chief of Intelligence Bureau (IB). He succeeds Dineshwar Sharma and shall have two years term.
- Rajiv Jain joined the IB in 1989 as an Assistant Director.
- He has handled various assignments as chief of Subsidiary Intelligence Bureau (SIB). He headed the Ahmedabad SIB (2005-2008) and later the Delhi SIB (2008-2012) which is considered politically sensitive.
- He was the adviser to the previous NDA government’s interlocutor on Kashmir, KC Pant, when talks were held with separatist leaders.
- He is the recipient of the President’s Police Medal.
Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana comes into effect
The Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana (PMGKY) came into effect from 17 December 2016. It will remain open until March 31, 2017.
- PMGKY is the Union Government’s second Income Disclosure Scheme (IDS) to allow tax evaders to come clean with unaccounted wealth.
- Declarant of undisclosed income needs to pay 30% tax, 10% penalty and 33% Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Cess on the tax, all of which add up to around 50%.
- Besides, declarant must make mandatory deposit of 25% of undisclosed income in the zero-interest Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Deposit Scheme, 2016 with lock-in period of 4 years.
- Declarations made will be kept confidential and shall not be admissible as evidence under any Act (ex. Wealth-tax Act, Central Excise Act, Companies Act etc.).
- However, declarant will have no immunity under Criminal Acts mentioned in section 199-O of the Scheme.
Rajasthan Government launches Annapurna Rasoi Scheme
Rajasthan Government has launched Annapurna Rasoi Scheme to provide quality meals at a cheap price to the poor and needy. The scheme has been started in line with Tamil Nadu Government’s Amma canteens.
- It was launched by Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje at Jaipur Municipal Corporation campus. The tagline for the scheme is: “Sabke liye bhojan, sabke liye sammaan (Food for all, respect for all)”.
- Under this scheme, breakfast will be provided at Rs 5 per plate and lunch/dinner at Rs 8 per plate. The meals will be cooked and served by staff trained in hospitality.
- It will be distributed by 80 mobile vans at locations decided by local self-help agencies in districts.
- The main beneficiary of the scheme will be rickshaw pullers, labourers, auto drivers, students, working women, elders and other weaker section.
- In the first phase the scheme will be started in 12 districts. They are Jaipur, Udaipur, Jodhpur, Ajmer, Bharatpur, Bikaner, Pratapgarh, Kota, Banswara, Dungarpur, Baran and Jhalawar. The remaining 21 districts of state will be covered in second phase.