Indian Maritime University (IMU) is the only recognized university in the country which offers education in the field of maritime. It offers various undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral programs to the students who wish to pursue their career in the field of marine. Indian Maritime University Admissions are done on the basis of marks scored by the candidates in the IMU Common Entrance Test (CET).
IMU Chennai Highlights
|Established | Type
||2008 | Central University
|Formerly known as
||National Maritime Academy
|Courses Offered | Type
||7 | UG and PG
||Regular: 15 | Contract: 3
||UG: 807 | PG: 191
||Kolkata, Kochi, Visakhapatnam, Mumbai Port, Navi Mumbai
Indian Maritime University Courses
IMU Chennai offers the following academic programs:
|B.Sc – Nautical Science
||10+2 (PCM) with 60% marks average and 50% marks in English
|B.Tech – Marine Engineering
|BBA – Logistics, Retailing & E-commerce
||10+2 with 60% marks average and 50% marks in English
|MBA – International Transportation & Logistics Management
||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline with 50% marks in aggregate and 50% in English
|MBA – Port and Shipping Management
|M.Sc – Commercial Shipping & Logistics
|Diploma – Nautical Science
||10+2 (PCM) with 60% average (OR) B.Sc (PCM)/ B.Sc (Electronics with Physics as individual subject in one of the years) with marks not less than 60% in aggregate, (OR) B.E./B. Tech from IIT or college with marks not less than 50% in aggregate.
Following are the reserved categories as per the guidelines of the university:
|Scheduled Castes (SC)
|Scheduled Tribes (ST)
|Andaman & Nicobar Islands
|Jammu & Kashmir
|North Eastern States
Admissions to all the UG and PG programs at the IMU Campuses and its Affiliated Institutes is done through Common Entrance Test (CET).
The following CETs are conducted online by the university for shortlisting students to various courses:
- Common CET for UG programs (except BBA)
- CET for MBA programs
- CET for M.Tech program
Candidates who wish to apply can register themselves online by filling the application form. They must submit it along with the application fee of INR 1000 for General/ OBC and INR 700 for SC/ST candidates.
How to Prepare for IMU CET
- Candidates can practice basic Mathematics, GK and English to prepare for the examination. However, the candidates should pay attention to managing their time as per the subjects mentioned in the syllabus.
- Choose the right study material available in the market or on the internet. Practice from previous year question papers will help you to understand the exam pattern, important topics and type of questions asked.
- Go for the complete IMU CET syllabus with deep study and try to cover all important topics before one month of the exam. It is very important to make a timetable for the study so, make a proper schedule and follow it on a regular basis.
Indian Maritime University Scholarships
The University helps students who are eager to earn a higher degree and do research in any area of study. The scholarships and awards are offered on the based-on merit and other backgrounds. Various state-government agencies offer a post-matric scholarship for OBC, ST, SC, and Minority Community.
IMU Chennai Placements
Indian Maritime University has a dedicated placement and training cell wherein they train students for the industry requirements. It conducts a training program for the students under 2 divisions – Marine and Port. Tabulated below are the number of students placed in the Chennai campus:
|Diploma in Nautical Science
||48 (PSM: 16 | ITL: 32)
IMU Chennai Facilities
Indian Maritime University, Chennai campus offers modern facilities to students to cater to their needs. Following is a brief about the same:
- Library: There is a rich collection of more than 8000 books, 40 journals/ periodicals, projects, magazines, etc. IMU has one of the largest Maritime Libraries in the country.
- Hostels: The hostel can accommodate 250 students with world-class facilities. They have access to a gym, swimming pool, routine health check-up, and emergencies. A guest house and staff quarters are also located on the campus.
- Classrooms: The campus has 23 modern and well-equipped classrooms with audio and visual aids. Students can also get hands-on training in workshops and machine shops.
Indian Maritime University FAQs
Q. If I am a foreign national, how can I take admission in IMU?
Ans. The admission to both undergraduate and postgraduate courses is done through Direct Admission to Students from Abroad (DASA) Scheme. MHRD nominates a Central University to become the agency for admission.
Q. What marks should I score in IMU CET for a top 200 rank?
Ans. You should score at least 160+ marks out of 200 for a good rank. However, IMU does not reveal the marks secured instead they provide All India Rank. Last year, around 16,000 students qualified the entrance test out of which only 1500 secured their seats in IMU.
Q. How is life at IMU Chennai?
Ans. It has a picturesque campus located at the sea-side on East Coast Road. The administrative staff follows proper schedule for examinations and academics. The university also has a good amount of students placed in reputed organizations.