XAT, or the Xavier Aptitude Test, is the entrance examination conducted by Xavier Association of Management Institutes, more commonly known as XAMI. Xavier Labour Relations Institute organizes XAT, or XLRI, for admission into some of the top tier B schools in the country such as XLRI, SPJIMR, IMT, XIMB, TAPMI, XIME and 150 such other B schools in India.
XAT is one of the most coveted entrance examinations for all MBA aspirants in India, second only to CAT.
In this article, we will help aspiring candidates gather an adequately detailed overview of XAT 2020. The key points of focus in this article will be the following.
- About Xavier Labour Relation Institute (XLRI)
- Notification for XAT 2020
- Important Dates
- Eligibility Criteria for XAT 2020
- Application for XAT 2020
- Syllabus for XAT 2020
- Examination Pattern
- Changes observed in the examination pattern of XAT 2019
- Preparation tips for XAT 2020
XLRI, or Xavier Labour Relation Institute is a Jamshedpur based business school that was established in 1949 by the Society of Jesus. It is affiliated to AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) and AMBA (Association of MBAs). It is recognized by the UGC, the AICTE, and the MHRD. XLRI is a NAAC ‘A’ graded institution. It has grown as one of the elite B schools in the country, ranking 7th on the MHRD NIRF 2019 B School Rankings.
It offers multiple MBA courses with varying courses of the specialization, spread over two kinds of degrees; regular two year MBA programmes as well as diploma courses (PGDM). Some of the course specializations offered are Business Management (PGDM), Human Resources Management (PGDM) and General Management, which is a regular two-year course.
The official notification for XAT 2020 has been released on August 23, 2019.The details such as the important dates for registration, application form, downloading of the admit card, examination dates and dates for the results for XAT 2020 are mentioned here. It also contains a detailed procedure for application and registration, which is crucial as it can get quite confusing for first-time candidates. Therefore, all aspirants for XAT 2020 must keep an eye on the website for the official notification for XAT 2020 and make sure to download it as soon as they find out about the release of the notification. It allows them to have a smooth application and examination process for XAT 2020.
IMPORTANT DATES FOR XAT 2020
Candidates are always advised to be familiar with the important dates for XAT 2020, lest they should miss the time frame for any of the important events. We have formulated a table below which contains all the important dates for XAT 2020, to ensure that aspiring candidates do not miss out any of the significant events for XAT 2020.
|XAT Exam 2020||XAT 2020 Exam Date|
|XAT Date for Notification||August 23, 2019|
|XAT 2020 Exam Date for Registration start||August 23, 2019|
|Deadline for XAT 2020 Exam Registration &
Application submission online without late fee
|November 30, 2019|
|Deadline for XAT 2020 Registration with late fee||December 10, 2019|
|XAT 2020 Exam Admit Card download Start Date||December 20, 2019|
|Deadline to Download XAT 2020 Admit Card||January 5, 2020|
|XAT 2020 Exam Date||January 5, 2020 (9.30 AM to 12.30 PM)|
|XAT 2020 Exam Results||By January 31, 2020 (Expected on Jan 25)|
ELIGIBILITY FOR XAT 2020
Before beginning the registration process, candidates must check the eligibility criteria for XAT 2020. If candidates fail to meet the eligibility criteria for XAT 2020, their candidature will be deemed cancelled. The registration fee, however, is not refundable.
The eligibility criteria for XAT 2020 is probably one of the simplest in the country. To apply for XAT 2020, one requires a bachelor’s degree in a 3-year course with any specialization, from an institution that is recognised nationally. Other top B schools require candidates to score a minimum of 50% marks or its equivalent CGPA. Since the eligibility criteria for XAT 2020 is just a Bachelor’s degree, it is the same for all categories of reservation according to the Government of India.
Important things to remember regarding eligibility for XAT 2020
- XAT 2020 does not have an age limit; candidates from all age groups can apply.
- XAT 2020 requires candidates to have a valid email ID and working mobile number throughout the application and examination process.
- Candidates are only required to have obtained a Bachelor’s degree to be eligible for XAT 2020.
- Aspirants in the final year of graduation can also apply, provided they can provide a graduation certificate by June 2020, latest.
- For admission to XLRI, only the XAT 2020 score will be considered; and not the marks or CGPA obtained in graduation.
- For NRI candidates for XAT 2020, however, XAT 2020 is not mandatory. In that case, their valid GMAT scores are the basis on which the selection procedure is done.
- Mere eligibility to appear for XAT 2020 does not ensure admission to XLRI or any such institution; it allows a candidate to appear for XAT 2020.
REGISTRATION AND APPLICATION FOR XAT 2020
The registration process for XAT 2020 begins on August 23, 2019, after the publication of the official notification for the same. Candidates must register and apply before November 30, 2019. The last date to apply with a late fee is from December 1st to December 7th. Candidates are to register and apply in the online mode only; offline applications cannot be made. The detailed step by step registration and application process is given below.
- Visit the official website for XAT 2020 (xatonline.in) and click on the ‘new registration’ portal.
- Register requires a few necessary details about yourself, like your name, mobile phone number and email ID.
- Candidates will receive their login information, such as their user ID and password through the email ID and mobile phone number that they provide.
- Using these credentials, log into the portal for XAT 2020.
- Once candidates have logged in to their portal for XAT 2020, they will immediately be led to the application form.
- To fill up the application form, candidates must enter all personal details, academic background and other information requested of them.
- Candidates are required to select an MBA programme of their choice, although it is not mandatory.
- They are required to upload certain documents such as their photograph, signature, caste certificate (if relevant), among others.
- Once the candidates have filled in all details required of them, they must proceed to pay the application fee.
- After the application fee is paid, candidates are advised to keep a hard copy print out of their application form, for future use.
- The application process is complete.
- The application fee for XAT 2020 is 1700 INR, without any late charges. If the application is completed after the last date, candidates must pay a late fee of 2000 INR.
- Candidates should pay an additional fee of 300 INR per XLRI programme that they choose.
- The application fee is to be paid in the online mode only; net banking, debit card or credit card.
Stay connected with fellow students on PaGaLGuY for XAT 2019 | XLRI 2019 – Admit Card, Exam, Result
SYLLABUS FOR XAT 2020
The XAT 2020 syllabus can be divided into four major components, which are as follows:
- Verbal Ability, Reading Comprehension (VARC) and Logical Reasoning
- Decision Making
- Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation (QADI)
- General Knowledge
The section-wise detailed syllabus for XAT 2020 is provided in the tables below.
Verbal Ability, Reading Comprehension and Logical Reasoning
● Fill in the blanks with appropriate words
● Contextual Usage on vocabulary words
● Jumbled Paragraphs
● Correction of errors, correct usage of words in sentences
● Completion of paragraphs
● Completion of sentences
RC passages are usually short and are to be answered in the MCQ format.
RC Passages are based on the following topics:
● Abstract topics
● Science and culture
● Literature and art
● Social and economic issues
● Current affairs
● Seating arrangements
● Binary logic
● Blood relations
● Logical sequence
● Conditions and Group Testing
● Complex Arrangements
● Data Arrangement Test
● Situation-Based Decision Making
Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation
● LCM and HCF
● Profit and Loss
● Interest (Simple and Compound)
● Speed, Time and Distance; Time and Work; Averages; Ratio and Proportion and others
● Number System
● Geometry including Co-ordinate Geometry
● Pure Math
● Venn diagrams
● Linear Equations
● Quadratic Equations
● Complex Numbers
● Binomial Theorem
● Surds and Indices
● Permutation and Combination
● Probability Functions
● Set Theory
● Mixtures and Alligations
● Data Tables
● Data charts
● Bar diagrams
● Pie charts
● Data analysis and comparison
● Economics, finance,
● National and International current affairs
● Conventional GK
● Constitution of India
● Company profiles, logos,
● Business & Economy
● Who’s who
● Books & Authors
● Capitals & Currencies
|The section in XAT 2020 Exam Pattern||Number of questions||Overall Time Duration|
|Part-1||74 Total MCQs||165 Minutes|
|Verbal Reasoning, Reading Comprehension and Logical Reasoning||26||No Sectional Time Limit|
|Decision Making||21||No Sectional Time Limit|
|Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation||27||No Sectional Time Limit|
|Part-2||25 Total MCQs||15 Minutes|
|Total questions (Part 1 + Part 2)||99||180 minutes (3 hours)|
Fundamental changes introduced in XAT examination pattern:
- XAT 2020 is a CBT; it is conducted in the online mode.
- There are no subjective questions in XAT 2020- all questions are presented in the MCQ format.
- The essay type question has been removed, reducing the number of sections from five to four.
XAT 2020 Result
The results for XAT 2020 will be declared on January 31, 2020. The results will be announced in the online mode on the official website for XAT 2020 (xatonline.in). Results will not be delivered via mail or post so the same should not be expected.
After the declaration of the results, the cut off for XAT 2020 will be released a week later. If a candidate secures the cut off marks, they will qualify for the Group Discussion and Personal Interview round and are expected to appear for the same. On clearing all rounds of admission, an offer letter for admission into the right institution will be sent.
We hope that this overview of XAT 2020 is beneficial to all aspirants.
All the best!