The most common question asked by FORE aspirants and other prospect stakeholders before actually coming to college is the difference between PGDM and PGDM IB, the difference between FMG group and IMG group.
So, what is this? Why there is a difference in cut offs for both the courses and what makes which course special?
Let’s start by understanding what FORE aims to offer:
The two full time courses –
The Two Year Full Time Post Graduate Diploma in Management – Future Managers Group Programme (PGDM – FMG) is designed to train and groom the future managers at FORE.
International Managers Group (IMG)
The Two Year Full Time Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM) – International Business Management programme aims at preparing students to take up careers in corporate houses and family businesses engaged in International Business operations.
Talking about the similarities of the two programmes:
The aim of both the programmes remains on understanding the independent nature of organisational dynamics and its managerial implications. This helps students acquire conceptual and analytical abilities required for appropriate decision making and effective implementation. A number of generic learning outcomes are specified, which relate to the theme of corporate performance, and link the various functional modules.
The instructional methodology comprises of an optimum mix of lectures, classroom discussions, case studies, role-plays, group discussions, special sessions from professionals from industry and trade, management games, sensitivity training, management films, industrial visits and industry interaction. Students are encouraged to present their cases through individual or group presentations. Further opportunity is provided through participation of students in various seminars.
- The pool of opportunities for the students of both the programmes is common; be it in terms of placements, inter college competitions or becoming a student council member.
- Students of both programmes are taken for the immersion programme which stands as an USP of fore.
- Scholarships provided remain the same for both IMG and FMG group.
Next we look at the difference between the two programmes to understand better which is more suited to the aspirant’s interests and capabilities.
- The first is obviously the age of the course: PGDM has completed 26 years and PGDM-IB came into existence 11 years back. This lays down the main reason for the difference in cut offs of both the programmes.
- Next is the subjects taught in the first year: IMG group studies subjects with a global perspective so that they are able to analyse and evaluate the issues that arise out of the greater integration of the Indian economy and businesses with the global environment.
- Another difference lies in the specializations offered.
PGDM is a course which aims at providing conceptual and analytical abilities required for effective decision making. The first three trimesters aim at building up the basic knowledge while in the last three trimesters the student can take up electives of their choice from the given list.
PGDM-IB focuses more on imparting management education in the context of international business environment. . The specializations being offered under the rubric of International Business are International Finance, International Marketing, International HR, International Policy and Strategy, Global Systems and Operations. The second specialization may come from the existing specialization basket available in the PGDM programme.
- Another major difference in curriculum is that IMG students have to write Dissertation which is of 2 credits and two semesters – 4 and 5.
The basic outcome of two courses:
- To have comprehensive understanding of the corporate world
- To integrate the theoretical knowledge with the practical aspects of organizational settings and techniques of management
- To acquire conceptual and analytical abilities required for effective decision making
- Evolve with the dynamic and complex working environment
Difference lies in understanding of the subjects, as IMG group tends to look it at with a global environment perspective and FMG as more corporate integration.
To read further about the courses, one can visit the fore website and read about the courses under the Academic Programs heading: http://www.fsm.ac.in/