The recent IIT fee hike from Rs 90,000 to Rs 2,00,000 had definitely raised a lot of eyebrows. Here is your chance to reduce the burden of your hefty tuition fees for a degree in an IIT. And it will be shared by none other than the Union Ministry of Human Resource Development, and the Institute itself.
In the recent Joining Instructions released by various IITs on the official website of Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA) 2016, IIT Kanpur has notified the incoming students about various scholarships that
they can avail of at their institute.
“Every year, a large number of scholarships are offered to the students by the institute. About 40% of undergraduate students of the institute avail of scholarships like the Merit-cum-Means scholarship given by the Alumni of IIT Kanpur, Sports scholarship, Benevolence fund, etc.” said an official of IIT Kanpur.
One scholarship that has the most benefits and which can be availed of in every IIT and NIT is the Merit-cum-Mean scholarship.
Under the Merit-cum-Means Scholarships for Undergraduate students, students can avail the following benefits:
- Students receive full tuition waiver, and pocket allowance of Rs 1000 per month for the duration of the program.
- This is a merit-based scholarship, hence, the recipients must maintain a minimum CPI of 6.5.
- If CPI falls below 6.5 (but remains above 6.0) then the pocket allowance is withdrawn.
- Normally, parents annual income should be within certain limits (currently, Rs 6.0 Lakhs).
- For undergraduates (B.Tech, BS, Major-Minor, Major-Major M.Sc.(2 years), M.Sc.-Ph.D. (UG Part)).
In an IIT/NIT/IIIT/GFTIs, students are given the facility to benefit from more than one scholarship at a time. All students will be notified about the scholarships by their respective institutes.