Sachin gets Bharat Ratna
● Sachin Tendulkar has broken two more records, right after his retirement. He has become the youngest recipient of India’s top civilian honour – Bharat Ratna. He is also the first sportsperson to be awarded this honour.
● The official release says, “He has been a true ambassador of India in the world of sports. His achievements in cricket are unparalleled, the records set by him unmatched, and the spirit of sportsmanship displayed by him exemplary. That he has been honoured with several awards is testimony to his extraordinary brilliance as a sportsman.”
● Bharat Ratna will also be conferred on eminent scientist Prof C.N.R. Rao who is also a well recognized international authority on solid state and materials chemistry. Prof. Rao has published over 1,400 research papers and 45 books. Prof. Rao’s contributions have been recognized by most major scientific academies around the world through conferment of memberships and fellowships. He has been honoured with several national and international awards.
About Bharat Ratna
● Bharat Ratna is India’s highest civilian award, for performance of highest order in any field of human endeavour.
● Any person without distinction of race, occupation, position or sex is eligible for the award. The recommendations for Bharat Ratna are to be made by the Prime Minister of India to the President of India.
● The holders of the Bharat Ratna rank 7th in the Indian order of precedence.
● Last five recipients – Bhimsen Joshi (2008), Bismillah Khan, Lata Mangeshkar, Gopinath Bordoloi & Amartya Sen
Aircraft Carrier INS Vikramaditya inducted into Indian Navy
● The long-delayed and much-awaited $2.3 billion aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya was inducted on 16th November into the Indian Navy to boost India’s maritime warfare capabilities.
● INS Vikramaditya is the country’s biggest warship and the second aircraft carrier.
● INS Vikramaditya is 284 meters in length, and with its beam of about 60 meters, it stretches to an area as large as three football fields. It has 22 decks and will have over 1,600 personnel on board.
● The warship can carry over 30 aircrafts, comprising an assortment of MiG 29K/Sea Harrier, Kamov 31, Kamov 28, Sea King, ALH-Dhruv and Chetak helicopters.
● The warship is equipped with state-of-the-art launch and recovery systems and computer-aided Action Information Organisation (CAIO) system, which is the heart of the operational network that infuses life into the combat systems onboard the ship.
World famous month-long ‘Sonepur mela’ begins today
EC asks govt to enact law banning opinion polls release
Court makes exceptions for preliminary enquiry before FIR
New China panel to streamline border response
Deforestation in Brazil’s Amazon region rose by 1/3rd over past year
To read about the above news in detail and to continue reading click here or go to the link below.