China reforms: One-child policy to be relaxed
● In a surprising move China is set to relax its policy of restricting most couples to have only a single child
● In future, families will be allowed two children if one parent is the only child.
● It should be noted that the one-child policy already exempts rural dwellers and ethnic minorities.
● China’s population-control policy was introduced in 1979 and restricts couples in urban areas to only one child.
● In rural areas, families are allowed to have two children if the first is a girl.
● The policy has meant that about one-third of China’s 1.3 billion citizens cannot have a second child without incurring a fine.
● According to UN, by 2050 more than a quarter of China’s population will be over 65 years old and younger generations face an unprecedented burden of care.
● One Child Policy has led to forced abortions, female infanticide, and the under-reporting of female births. It is also implicated as a cause of China’s gender imbalance.
Six cities bid for 2022 Winter Olympics
● Kazakhstan (Almaty), China(Beijing), Sweden(Stockholm), Norway(Oslo), Ukrain(Lviv) and Poland(Krakoware) are bidding for the 2022 Winter Games.
● IOC said application for bidding has expired on 14th November.\
● The 2014 Winter Olympics, officially the XXII Olympic Winter Games, or the 22nd Winter Olympics, are scheduled to take place 7 to 23 February 2014, in Sochi, Russia, with some events held in the resort town of Krasnaya Polyana.
● 2018 edition is going to be held in Pyeongchang (South Korea). It is a county in Gangwon province, South Korea located in the Taebaek Mountains region. It is also home to several Buddhist temples, including Woljeongsa. It is located approximately 180 km east of Seoul, the capital of South Korea.
● The 2022 host city will elected at the IOC Session in Kuala Lumpur on July 31, 2015
India should be a permanent UNSC member, says Cameron
● British PM David Cameron at an interactive session at IIM-C said India should be made a permanent member of United Nations Security Council.
● He also said that the political will of “deciding to act and deciding to take a stand” mattered more than issues such as reforming the Council
● Cameroon also said though UN is not “perfect”, “it is very good in our world to have something like that.”
World Bank, ADB offer Odisha $313m aid
Muzaffarnagar probe panel’s term extended by six months
Oceans turning hot, sour and breathless
Navtex Chain- Navigational Telex Coverage System Launched
2.9 Million TB cases go unreported
Japanese man sets new quadruped record
36-year-old Indian-American physician to be US surgeon general
Craig Reedie elected as WADA president
To read about the above news and to continue reading click here or go to the link below.