Here are today’s important headlines with key details for UPSC, SSC, IBPS and other competitive examinations.
State’s OBC commission dissolved in Rajasthan
- The Rajasthan High Court order dissolved the State Other Backward Classes (OBC) Commission, in October 2016. The court dissolved the commission stating that the latter was constituted without the State Assembly enacting any legislation for it.
- The Division Bench of the court directed the state government to appoint a new commission backed by a statute by January 15, 2017. It also directed that no salary or allowance of the members of this commission would be disbursed hereafter.
United Nations Day observed across the world
- The United Nations Day 2016 was observed across the world on October 24, 2016. The day marks the anniversary of the UN Charter(the founding document of UNO) in 1945.
- Theme: In 2016, UN Day will be used to highlight concrete actions people can take to help achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
Indo-Italy Scientific and Technological Cooperation re-launched
- The Indo-Italian Joint Committee established on october 21, 2016, under the Scientific and Technological Cooperation Agreement re-launched the cooperation in the sectors of science, technology and innovation. The original agreement was signed between Italy and India in 2003.
- The Joint Committee approved several initiatives in bilateral scientific R&D projects of significance with the aim of facilitating the mobility of researchers who will be jointly selected.
- A new scientific and technological cooperation programme on applied science was launched aiming at developing technologies and processes to be applied in industry.
- Joint workshops will be alternatively held in Italy and India, starting from 2017.
- An Indo-Italian Innovation Forum will be established to promote and connect the world of research with the world of business and investment.
RBI eases norms for foreign investment in startups
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on October 20, 2016, notified the amended norms for foreign investment in startups in India. For this, the bank amended the Foreign Exchange Management (Transfer or Issue of Security by a Person Resident Outside India) Regulations, 2000.
- Any FVCI, registered with market regulator SEBI, will not require any approval from Reserve Bank of India and can invest in unlisted Indian companies.
- FVCI can invest in following sectors- Biotechnology, IT, Nanotechnology, Seed research and development, pharmaceutical sector, Dairy industry, Poultry industry, Production of bio-fuels, Hotel-cum-convention centres and Infrastructure sector.
India lifts its third Kabaddi World Cup
- India on October 22, 2016 lifted the 2016 Kabaddi World Cup. Team India, under the captaincy of Anup Kumar, defeated Iran 38-29 in the final held in Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
- This was India’s 3rd World Cup in the Standard Style version of Kabaddi.
About 2016 Kabaddi World Cup
- The 2016 Kabaddi World Cup was an international kabaddi tournament governed by the International Kabaddi Federation. It was contested from October 7 to 22, 2016, in Ahmedabad, India. Twelve countries had competed in the tournament.
- The tournament was hosted at The Arena by TransStadia, a newly-constructed convertible stadium in Ahmedabad.
Here is a list of last few articles on Current Affairs and the Monthly Bullet on Current Affairs for SSC
Monthly Bullet Pdf for October 2016