Here are today’s top headlines, compiled for the SSC/Banking and other competitive exams.
Maharashtra and Telengana signs pacts for Irrigation Projects
- Maharashtra and Telangana have signed agreement for three irrigation projects to be constructed on Godavari, Pranahita and Painganga rivers. These agreements were signed in presence of Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis and Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrasekhar Rao in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Medigadda barrage: Telangana will build a barrage of 100 metre height and 16 TMC storage capacity at Medigadda. The barrage will help irrigate 18.19 lakh acres of land in six districts.
- Tummadihatti barrage: It will be built on Pranahita River with a height of 148 metres and 1.8 TMC storage capacity. This will help in irrigation of two lakh acres of land in Adilabad district bordering Maharashtra.
- Chanaka-Korata barrage: It will be built on Penganga River. It will have 213 metre height and 0.85 TMC storage capacity. It will irrigate land in Maharashtra and Adilabad district of Telangana.
Andhra Pradesh first to start DNA Profiling of Criminals.
- Andhra Pradesh becomes the first state in the country to launch DNA Index System (DIS) for DNA (Deoxyribonucleac acid) profiling of criminals. The system uses the latest RapidHIT DNA System to assist DNA profiling.
- The DNA Index System (DIS) allows generation of DNA profiles from live samples like buccal swabs, saliva and blood stains etc. It creates DNA profiles within 90 to 120 minutes compared to currently available technologies which take at least two days or more.
- DIS has vast potential to bring down crimes as it can create a huge database of DNA profiles of offenders. It could also help the suspects prove their innocence. With DNA in the database, repeat offenders will be easily and quickly caught which will further help to bring down crime rate.
- The system can help resolve missing persons’ cases with on the spot DNA testing and also reduce backlogs of trying of criminal cases.
What is DNA?
- DNA (Deoxyribonucleac acid) is the genetic material typically found in tissue of all living cells of humans as well as animals and plants. It invariably contains hereditary data passed on from parent to children which is unique to each person (except in the case of identical twins). This makes DNA profiling a reliable and unique personal identification tool.
About DNA profiling technology
- DNA fingerprinting or DNA profiling is method of isolating and identifying variable elements within the base-pair sequence of DNA. DNA fingerprinting technology is utilised by police all over the world for fool-proof identification of criminals who leave their traces at crime scene while committing crime. The technology plays a crucial role in solving crimes as it has potential to link a series of crimes by placing the suspects by linking them with the crime scene.
Gujarat to host 2016 Kabaddi World cup
- The International Kabaddi Federation (IKF) has announced that 2016 Kabaddi World Cup will be hosted in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, between October 7 and 22, 2016. The event will see participation of 12 Kabaddi teams from around the world.
- These 12 teams are India, Canada, United States, United Kingdom, Iran, Australia, Poland, Pakistan, Bangladesh, South Korea, Japan and Kenya.
Sania Mirza gains top spot in ATP Women’s Doubles Tennis Rankings
- India’s ace tennis player Sania Mirza was on 22 August 2016 topped the ATP Women’s Doubles Tennis rankings. She topped the list after teaming up with new partner, Barbora Strycova of Czech Republic.
- The new ranking also follows the victory of the pair in the Cincinnati final. To win the title, the Sania-Barbora duo defeated Martina Hingis and Coco Vandeweghe 7-5, 6-4. Incidentally, Sania recently ended her partnership with Martina Hingis after three Grand Slam victories and 11 WTA doubles titles together. In the recent rankings, Hingis was figured at the second sport with 10945 points behind Sania’s 11260 points.
Here is a list of last four articles on Current Affairs and the Monthly Bullet on Current Affairs for SSC