Here are today’s important headlines with key details for UPSC, SSC, IBPS and other competitive examinations.
Smart India Hackathon launched by MHRD
- The initiative has been launched by the Ministry of Human Resource Development.
- It is a pan-India 36-hour nonstop digital programming competition which will take place in more than 20 centres simultaneously.
- It will aim to find digital solutions to problems in the areas of power, education, health, water, finance, agriculture, energy, urban & rural development, aviation, transport, sanitation, sports, law & justice, etc.
- It will help institutionalize a model for harnessing the creativity and skills of youth for nation-building.
- It will harness creativity & technical expertise of over 30 lakh students from technology institutes in remotest parts of India to help build a way-out for Startup India, Standup India campaign.
India’s first banking robot ‘Lakshmi’ launched in Tamil Nadu
- India’s first banking robot named Lakshmi was launched by the Kumbakonam-based City Union Bank (CUB) in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. Lakshmi will be the first on-site humanoid (robot) in India. Currently, CUB has made only one version of humanoid banker and is planning to deploy around 25-30 robots at key branches by end of year.
- Lakshmi is an artificial intelligence powered robot. It can speak English, understand gestures and can also engage in life-like conversations. The robot can interact with customers on more than 125 subjects including account balance and interest rates on loans. It will not voice the sensitive financial information like account details rather display it discreetly on its screen.
What is artificial intelligence?
- Artificial intelligence is a branch of computer science concerned with making computers behave like humans. In contrast to normal hardware and software, artificial intelligence enables a machine to perceive and respond to its changing environment. The artificial intelligence machines learn automatically like humans during their processing by assimilating large volumes of information.
SAIL wins Golden Peacock Award for 2016
- The Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL) has won the prestigious 2016 Golden Peacock Award for Corporate Governance. The award was received by Ashwini Kumar, CEO of Rourkela Steel Plant (RSP) on behalf of SAIL during the 16th London Global Convention on Corporate Governance and Sustainability in London, UK. SAIL was bestowed with this award on account of its exemplary performance in the field of corporate governance i.e. for balancing the interests of all the stakeholders of the company management, customers, shareholders, suppliers, financiers, government and the community.
About Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL)
- SAIL is one of the largest state-owned steel company in India and one of the top steel makers in the world. SAIL is the 24th largest steel producer in the world. It was founded in 1954 and incorporated in 1973. It is headquartered in New Delhi. It operates and owns 5 integrated steel plants at Bhilai, Durgapur, Rourkela, Bokaro and Burnpur and 3 special steel plants at Salem, Durgapur, and Bhadravathi. About Golden Peacock awards Instituted by the Institute of Directors (IoD) in 1991. They are presented annually under various categories. The awards comprise to sets Global Awards and National Awards.
Here is a list of last few articles on Current Affairs and the Monthly Bullet on Current Affairs for SSC
Monthly Bullet Pdf for October 2016
Current Affairs Bullet for November 6