Union Government launched Smart Ganga City Scheme in 10 cities
- Union Minister for Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation Uma Bharti and Union Urban Development Minister M Venkaiah Naidu on 13 August 2016 launched Smart Ganga City Scheme.
- The scheme was launched in 10 ten important cities through video conference. These cities are –
A R Rahman honoured with Tamil Ratna Award
- Noted music composer A.R. Rahman on 15 August 2016 was honoured by the Tamil Ratna Award.
- The award was presented by New York based Tamil Sangam.
- Rahman was bestowed with the honour after his concert at the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) chamber. Rahman was invited at the UNGA to perform a concert to honour M.S. Subbulakshi, the doyen of Carnatic music.
- The concert was sponsored by India’s UN Mission and Sankara Nethralaya, a Chennai-based charity organisation.
- The previous recipients of Tamil Ratna Award include Tamil movie director Bharathi Raja, Bharatha Natyam exponent Kamala Lakshman and Srinivasa Varadhan, the winner of the Abel Prize for mathematics.
Prominent Malayalam script writer TA Rasaq passes away
Prominent Malayalam script writer TA Rasaq passed away on 15 August 2016 in Kochi following a brief illness. He was 58.
- He was born in Thurakkal near Kondotty town in Malappuram in April 1958.
- He started his career with the film Vishnulokam directed by noted filmmaker Kamal in 1991.
- He won the state film award for best screenplay and story in 1996 for the film Kanakkinavu.
- He also won state film awards for best stories in 2002 and 2004 for the films Ayirathil Oruvan and Perumazhakkalam respectively.
- Rappakal, Bus Conductor , Vesham Nadodi, Gazal, Thalolam, Sneham Saphalayam, etc are other major screen writings by Rasaq.
Renowned Punjabi writer Gurdial Singh passes away
- Prominent Punjabi writer and Jnanpith awardee Gurdial Singh passed away on 16 August 2016 in Bathinda, Punjab. He was 83. Singh was known as a Spartan who has taken it all in his stride in the literary world.
India’s first Nuclear Supplier’ Insurance Policy unveiled by INIP
- The India Nuclear Insurance Pool (INIP) on 12 August 2016 unveiled India’s first Nuclear Suppliers’ Insurance Policy. New India Assurance Company Limited and INIP will issue the policy and administer the claims on behalf of the pool. The INIP has become the 27th such insurance pool in the world as countries such as France, Russia, South Africa and the U.S. have put in place such similar risk transfer mechanisms.
Hindustan Copper Limited inaugurated nickel production facility in Ghastila
- Hindustan Copper Limited (HCL) has inaugurated the country’s first facility to produce nickel, a metal for which the country is completely dependent on imports.
- The new facility— Nickel, Copper and Acid Recovery Plant is located at the company’s Indian Copper Complex (ICC) at Ghatshila in Jharkhand.
UBI launched USSD based *99# Mobile Application for basic banking needs
- It was launched in partnership with National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), the umbrella organisation for all retail payments system in the country.
- Key Features: It can be downloaded in an android smartphone from the Google Play Store by the bank customers. It can be used even without any internet connection as it does not require any data and is available in 10 languages. It provides basic banking facilities like checking account balance, sending money, Mobile PIN (MPIN) management. Besides, it provides value added services like checking Aadhaar linked overdraft status and PMJDY account overdraft status.
Stay tuned to PaGaLGuY for more updates on Current Affairs, as we will be updating the page at regular intervals.
Here is a list of last four articles on Current Affairs and the Monthly Bullet on Current Affairs