Rafaela Silva gets Brazil its first Gold at Rio Olympics of 2016
- Rafaela Silva, Judo player or Judoka won the Gold medal in Women’s 57 kg Judo event.
- This the first Gold medal for the host country Brazil.
K M Hanumantharayappa is the new chairman of central silk board
- He is a Sericulturalist and Weaver.
- He is a senior leader of BJP from Doddaballapur, a traditional silk weaving cluster in Karnataka.
Odisha Crime Branch rescues 1051 children in first phase of Operation Muskan-2
- Operation Muskaan-2, an initiative to trace missing and destitute children and reunite them with parents, was in news in first week of August 2016.
- It came into news after Odisha Crime Branch in its first phase of Operation traced and rescued about 1051 children.
- The Operation Muskan which was started on 25 July 2016 jointly by the Crime Branch in association with Women and Child Development Department has rescued these children from various places across the state.
Dinesh Kumar Khara appointed Managing Director of State Bank of India
- Dinesh Kumar Khara on 9 August 2016 was appointed Managing Director (MD) of State Bank of India (SBI).
- The Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) has appointed Khara for a period of three years, extendable by two years after review of his performance.
- On the other hand, Ashok Kumar Garg and Raj Kamal Verma have been appointed as Executive Director (ED) of Bank of Baroda and Union Bank of India respectively. Gopal Murli Bhagat and Himanshu Joshi have been appointed as ED of Corporation Bank and Oriental Bank of Commerce respectively.
Government increased the NPA of commercial banks by around 4%
- The Union Government has announced that the Non-Performing Assets (NPA) of commercial banks have increased by around 4% in the last one year (March 2015 to March 2016).
- The NPA of banks was 5.43 percent in March 2015 which has risen to 9.32 percent in March 2016.
RBI keeps policy rates unchanged in 3rd bi-monthly monetary policy review
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in its third bi-monthly monetary policy review for year 2016-17 has maintained status quo in key policy interest rate.
- Policy Rates Repo rate under the liquidity adjustment facility (LAF): unchanged at 6.50 per cent. Reverse repo rate under the LAF: unchanged at 6.0 per cent. Marginal standing facility (MSF) rate:00 per cent. Reserve Ratios Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) of scheduled banks: Unchanged at 4.0 per cent of net demand and time liability (NDTL). Statutory Liquidity Ratio (SLR): Unchanged at 21.25 per cent.
Parliament passes Enforcement of Security Interest and Recovery of Debts Laws Amendment Bill, 2016.
- Parliament has passed Enforcement of Security Interest and Recovery of Debts Laws Amendment Bill, 2016. It was first passed in Lok Sabha and later in Rajya Sabha.
- The Bill seeks to amend four laws: (i) Securitisation and Reconstruction of Financial Assets and Enforcement of Security Interest (SARFAESI) Act, 2002 (ii) Recovery of Debts due to Banks and Financial Institutions Act (RDDBFI), 1993 (iii) Depositories Act, 1996 and (iv) Indian Stamp Act, 1899
Lok Sabha passes Employee’s Compensation (Amendment) Bill, 2016
- The Lok Sabha has unanimously passed the Employee’s Compensation (Amendment) Bill, 2016 to reduce litigation in cases of disputes arising over compensation to workers.
- The Bill seeks to amend the Employee’s Compensation Act, 1923. This law provides payment of compensation to employees and their dependents in the case of injury by industrial accidents, including occupational diseases.
Stay tuned to PaGaLGuY for more updates on Current Affairs, as we will be updating the page at regular intervals.
Here is a list of last four articles on Current Affairs and the Monthly Bullet on Current Affairs