GARV-II mobile app and citizen engagement window launched by the Union Government
The Union government launched the GARV-II mobile app on December 20, 2016, to provide village wise and habitation wise data on household electrification for all states. It is an upgraded version of the GARV mobile app that was launched in October 2015, which mapped the data for only 18452 un-electrified villages.
- Around 6 lakh villages have been mapped in the app for tracking progress on household electrification in each village.
- All the data will be made available in the app to ensure transparency and enhance accountability of various stakeholders.
- The app will also provide real time progress of the data.
National Mathematics Day
- The National Mathematics Day is observed every year on December 22, to celebrate birth anniversary of great Indian autodidact Mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan. This year, it is 129th birth anniversary of Srinivasa Ramanujan.
About S Ramanujan
- Srinivasa Ramanujan was born in 1887 in Erode district of Tamil Nadu. He died at young age of 32 on April 26, 1920. He was considered as doyen of number theory, infinite series, mathematical analysis, and making formulas and equations without any formal training in pure mathematics.
- He is in the same league as great mathematicians such as Euler and Gauss.
- As a mathematical genius, he had compiled more than 3900 mathematical results and equations.
The National Mathematics Day was instituted in 2011 by the Union Government to celebrate Ramanujan’s 125th birth anniversary. Besides, the year 2012 was also declared National Mathematics Year.