National institute of Technology (NITW), Warangal Overview
The National Institute of Technology in Warangal was established by the Government of India in the year 1959. The college was founded by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru on the 10th of October in the year 1959 and was the first in a chain of the 30 NITs in the country.
Interesting to note that NIT Warangal was located previously in India’s southeastern coastal state, Andhra Pradesh but now it came under 29th and the newest state of India, Telangana.
Warangal’s NIT offers education on nine undergraduate courses, 21 postgraduate courses and ten PhD streams.
Admission to these courses is based on the marks obtained in the following Entrance Exams – JEE Main (B.Tech, B.Arch), JAM (M.Sc.), GATE (M.Tech, M.Plan), CAT/MAT (MBA) and NIMCET (MCA). The institute has also received the World Bank Assistance through the Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme.
NIT Warangal was ranked 26th by NIRF (National Institutional Ranking Framework) 2019. It had a previous rank of 25th in 2018 and 34th in 2017.
The faculty members at NIT Warangal are quite well experienced and qualified. Most of them have completed their PhDs and happen to have a strong grasp on their respective field of study. They are known to be quite helpful and supportive to their students, thus ensuring them a comfortable academic journey at the institute.
NIT Warangal Courses offered and Fee Structure
The courses offered at the National Institute of Technology in Warangal range from various academic branches like Architecture and Planning, Business and Management Studies, Engineering, IT and Software, and Science.
The degrees provided at the institute are B.E. / B.Tech, M.E./M.Tech M.Sc., MBA/PGDM and MCA. Following is a brief discussion of the course structure under the engineering degrees.
NIT Warangal Course Highlights
- NIT Warangal provides Bachelor of Technology degree, a four years course with a fee of around 2.25 lakhs for four years.
- The institute offers Master of Technology degree on the postgraduate level and the fee is around 1.79 lakhs for two years.
- The institute also offers a three years full-time PhD course with a fee of 1.22 lakhs.
NIT Warangal Admission Process
The admission procedures on grounds of the courses available at the National Institute of Technology in Warangal are given below –
- BE / B.Tech - Admission is based on JOSAA counselling and is determined by the rank obtained in JEE Mains. Foreign candidates are admitted through the DASA scheme (Direct admission of students abroad) on the basis of their SAT Score.
- ME / M.Tech - Candidates need to obtain a valid score in GATE.
- PhD - Candidates need to have a JRF/NET score. The shortlisted candidates need to appear for Entrance exam and personal interview round.
NIT Warangal Placements
The companies and recruiters visiting the campus of NIT Warangal include ABB, ACCENTURE, Amazon.com, Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited, Capgemini, Cognizant, Deutsche Bank, fidelity, GAIL(Gas Authority Of India Ltd), Hindustan Unilever, HSBC, Infosys, Intel, ITC, Microsoft, Nestle, Oracle, Sify, UBER, Wipro etc.
|Stream||Minimum Salary (INR)||Average Salary (INR)||Maximum Salary (INR)||Placement percentage|
|B.Tech. in Computer Science and Engineering||4.50 Lakh||15.52 Lakh||32.50 Lakh||93.22|
|Biotechnology||3.25 Lakh||6.00 Lakh||12.00 Lakh||71.42|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||3.50 Lakh||13.30 Lakh||39.00 Lakh||93|
|Mechanical Engineering||3.30 Lakh||8.48 Lakh||17.40 Lakh||91.01|
|Electrical and Electronics Engineering||4.00 Lakh||9.73 Lakh||22.00 Lakh||89.89|
|Chemical Engineering||3.25 Lakh||7.14 Lakh||25.00 Lakh||88.46|
|Civil Engineering||3.50 Lakh||6.27 Lakh||16.69 Lakh||69.33|
|Metallurgical and Materials Engineering||3.60 Lakh||7.41 Lakh||23.00 Lakh||65.78|
NIT Warangal Result and Cut-off
Mentioned below is the cut off for NIT Warangal JEE Mains 2018 (gender neutral), for the B.Tech programme:
|AP||Computer Science and Engineering||1651||306||172||709|
|AP||Electrical and Electronics Engineering||6192||1179||NA||2318|
|AP||Electronics and Communication Engineering||4064||636||349||1455|
|AP||Metallurgical and Materials Engineering||16984||3357||NA||6053|
|HS||Computer Science and Engineering||2410||495||146||748|
|HS||Electrical and Electronics Engineering||6809||1283||263||1992|
|HS||Electronics and Communication Engineering||4456||910||179||1410|
|HS||Metallurgical and Materials Engineering||19633||3933||1396||6059|
|OS||Computer Science and Engineering||1408||188||168||635|
|OS||Electrical and Electronics Engineering||4811||818||337||1778|
|OS||Electronics and Communication Engineering||3676||618||284||1342|
|OS||Metallurgical and Materials Engineering||16066||3238||1468||5752|
AP - Andhra Pradesh, HS - Home State, OS - Other State
NIT Warangal Alumni Network
The institute has an NIT Warangal Alumni Association or NITWAA that administers all aspects regarding the college’s alumni. They also host an official members only website that aims to strengthen the entire alumni fraternity by forming a well-connected network of past NIT Warangal scholars spread all over the world.
The NITWAA has also organised past events like 2008 batch 10-year reunion, Golden Jubilee Triunion meet, Inauguration of Diamond Jubilee celebrations and 40 years reunion of 1972-1977 batch.
NIT Warangal Scholarships
The Scholarships offered at NIT Warangal are mainly of ten types. These include:
- Institute Merit Scholarship
- MHRD scholarship
- National Scholarship
- TS EPass Scholarship
- AP EPass Scholarship
- Rajasthan Scholarship
- Dasa Scholarship
- SC/ST Pwd Students
- Women Scholarships
- Tata Women Mettle scholarship
A candidate cannot receive more than one scholarship excluding Merit. The candidate also needs to clear examinations of all subjects to stay eligible for the scholarships.
NIT Warangal Campus Facility
- Library: The central library of NIT Warangal has a rich collection of 179797 books, technical pamphlets, back volumes, 110 national and international journals, Video Cassettes, CD-ROMs, e-books etc. It also has access to over 2000 online journals aided by NITs Consortium, INDEST-AICTE and NITW.
- Hostel: The college has both Boys and Girls hostels within the campus and students can opt between single occupancy and shared rooms.
- Sports Complex: The institute has a Badminton Court, Basketball Court, Cricket Ground, Football Ground, Tennis Court, Volleyball Court and Hockey Ground.
- Labs: The available labs at NIT Warangal include: Civil Engineering Lab, Chemistry Lab, Computer Lab, Electrical Lab, Electronics Lab, Mechanical Lab, Physics Lab, Electrical Machines Lab, Electrical Measurements Lab, Control Systems Lab, Design and Simulation Lab, Power Systems Lab, Power Electronic and Drives Lab, Electrical Circuits Lab, Microprocessors Lab and a High Voltage Lab.