HomeCollegesMBA
HomeCollegesMBA

Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology (IIEST), Shibpur Overview

  Shibpur   AICTE   ESTD 1856
  Shibpur   AICTE   ESTD 1856

About College

Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, Shibpur owes its origin to the erstwhile Bengal Engineering College, the history of which goes to the nineteenth century when industries in the sense we understand today, were practically absent. Prompted by the idea of meeting requirement of trained engineering personnel for the Public Works Department, the then council of Education, Bengal, decided to open Civil Engineering classes and a Professorship in Civil Engineering was created at Hindu College, Calcutta, in the year 1843-44. A College of Engineering was started by the name of Civil Engineering College on 24th November, 1856, in the premises of the Writers Building, Calcutta. In 1982, a new degree course in Computer Science & Technology was started and with modernization of the facilities, this department started offering the Master of Engineering courses in 1988 and Master of Computer Applications courses in 1991. The college was selected as a participating institute under the World Bank EIDP Project and an endowment in the amount of Rs. 200,000,000 was received for upgrading the teaching facilities and laboratories in the Electronics and Computer Science Departments. An E-mail facility was offered by the DOE under this project through which the university can have install access to information super highway. The alumni of the college have occupied or are occupying top positions in various national and international organizations. In recognition of its yeoman's service to the nation for 143 years of its existence with its well organized infrastructure, the college was elevated to the status of a "Deemed University" in 1992 by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India on the recommendation of a UGC Expert Committee. As a result, Dr. SankarDayal Sharma, the President of India, inaugurated the University in March 1993. In 2004, B.E. College (Deemed University) was converted into a full-fledged university by an act in the West Bengal Assembly and renamed as Bengal Engineering and Science University, Shibpur. In addition to the tradition engineering disciplines, the university started M.Sc curriculum in basic sciences. In March 2014, Bengal Engineering and Science University, Shibpur was taken over by the Government of India and converted into an Institute of National Importance through an act of parliament and renamed as Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, Shibpur. Academic Programs:
  • Integrated Dual Degree
  • Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.)
  • Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch.)
  • Master of Technology (M.Tech.)
  • Master of Urban and Regional Planning (M.U.R.P.)
  • Master of Science (M.Sc.)
  • Master of Business Administration (M.B.A)
Departments
  • Aerospace Engineering and Applied Mechanics
  • Architecture, Town and Regional Planning
  • Chemistry
  • Civil Engineering
  • Computer Science and Technology
  • Earth Sciences
  • Electrical Engineering
  • Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering
  • Human Resource Management
  • Humanities and Social Sciences
  • Information Technology
  • Mathematics
  • Mechanical Engineering
  • Metallurgy and Materials Engineering
  • Mining Engineering
  • Physics