Department of Management Studies, School of Management (DMS SOM) Pondicherry University Overview
Department of Management Studies, School of Management, Pondicherry University (DMS SOM) is a department of the Pondicherry University, India for Master of Business Administration (MBA) studies. It was established in 1986. Department of Management Studies DMS with well qualified faculty members offers two post-graduate programs in Management under the School of Management SOM
The institute follows its University Anthem, “Tamasoma Jyotirgamaya”, which means “from darkness, lead me to light”. The university believes that only education can provide light to the darkness of literature.
The Department of Management Studies, Pondicherry University conducts various management courses on the postgraduate level of education. There are two Master of Business Administration courses available. They are - MBA with Dual Specializations and MBA - Data Analytics. The former one is offered with a total of four specializations and while the later course can be taken with a specialization from a list of four or five specializations.
Department of Management Studies, Pondicherry University is one of the top management institutes in India. The university has accreditation of NAAC with Grade A. It has been ranked 48th among all the Universities in India by NIRF (National Institutional Ranking Framework) in 2019.
Department of Management Studies DMS (since 1986) with well qualified faculty members offers two post-graduate programs in Management under the School of Management SOM
Dr R. Chitra Sivasubramanian is the head of the Department of Management Studies, Pondicherry University of Management Studies. All the faculty members are PhD holder and best in their respective fields of study. They have enough experience in teaching and corporate profession to build the students’ future. Some of the other faculty members are Dr Uma Chandrasekaran, Dr S Victor Anand Kumar, Dr B Rajeswari, Dr R P Raya, Dr K Lavanyalatha.
Course and Fees
On the postgraduate level, this institute offers Master of Business Administration (MBA) programme in two different modes. The programmes are offered for working professionals as well as undergraduate students. For the MBA with Dual Specialization, the university offers Finance, Human Resources Management, Information Systems, Marketing and Operations Management.
Apart from this, candidates can take another course called MBA - Data Analytics. For this, candidates can take a specialization such as Big Data Analytics, Business Analytics, Python and more.
- On PG level MBA with Dual Specialization course is provided with a duration of two years with a fee structure of less than INR 1.5 Lakhs.
- Another course, MBA - Data Analytics is offered with a fee of less than INR 3.5 Lakhs.
- On a special note, the university offers free education for Persons with Disabilities (PWD) and Transgender only in the MBA with Dual Specialization programme.
|MBA with Dual Specialization||2 years||Passed Graduation in the relevant stream from a recognised university||Less than 1.5 lakhs|
|MBA - Data Analytics||2 years||Passed Graduation in the relevant stream from a recognised university||Less than 3.5 lakhs|
- As per Govt. of India norms for All-India seats (MBA with Dual Spl. & MBA Data Analytics)
- 20% quota for Puducherry UT (for MBA with Dual Spl.)
To get admission in any one of the courses provided by the Department of Management Studies at the candidate needs to fulfill the eligibility criteria along with a good score in the entrance examination. For the MBA with Dual Specialization programme, the university has more than 148 seats and for the MBA - Data Analytics, the intake capacity is only 30.
- To get admission in MBA - Dual Specialization as well as MBA - Data Analytics, the candidates must pass a bachelor degree with a minimum of 50% marks from a recognised university.
- The final selection is done on the basis of a national level entrance examination called CAT, conducted by the IIMs, followed by a group discussion and a personal interview conducted at the university premises. For instance, to apply for an MBA at DMS Pondicherry University in July 2020, candidates are required to submit their CAT 2019 scorecard.
- It is important to note that, in MBA with Dual Specializations, there are some reservations in admission. For NRI and Foreign students, there are 20% additional seats. For Defense personnel, two seats from Army and four seats from Air Force are reserved.
Steps to apply
- Apply for IIM CAT before 18 September 2019. Appear for CAT scheduled on 24 November 2019. Download your results and CAT Score Card.
- Look out for our Admission Notification to be posted on Pondicherry University website www.pondiuni.edu.in Jan 2020.
- Apply online for MBA programs of DMS Pondicherry University as per instructions. Separate applications for the two MBA programs.
- No Application Fee for PWD and Transgender applicants.
- Shortlisted applicants based on CAT scores will be notified on official website.
- Selection process will consist of Group Discussion and Personal Interview in end March 2020.
Direct Applications exempted from CAT:
Andaman & Nicobar 2 seats (for MBA with Dual Spl. only) NRI & Foreign students 20% additional seats
Defense: Army 2 & Air Force 4 seats
Result and Cutoff
The aspirants need to score a minimum cutoff mark determined by the university, in order to get selected for any one of the courses. The Department of Management Studies, Pondicherry University announces the cutoff after the declaration of the entrance examinations for the year.
The shortlisted candidates based on CAT scores are notified via its official website and they need to go through a group discussion round followed by a personal interview. Applicants are advised to check the Admission Notification, which will be posted on the Pondicherry University website in the month of January.
Since the year 1986, Department of Management Studies Pondicherry University has been delivering world-class management education. In more than 30 years of time span, this university has built up a huge alumni network. This institute has a separate alumni portal to stay connected with its former students.
Through this portal, the alumni can connect with their batchmates, seniors and juniors and also can help each other in many aspects. The alumni also provide the present students with a boost in their career as they are working with many reputed companies.
The university has produced several important personalities in different fields. For example, Ashwin Mahesh, who has popularity in the movement called “India against corruption” is one of the notable alumni of this university and he is also a well-known journalist, technologist and politician from our country.
Department of Management Studies, Pondicherry University offers its students all the facilities to make their education smooth and burden-free. Along with the excellent education, university also provides its students with financial assistance in the form of scholarship and fellowship.
The scholarships are given to the meritorious students with a lower family income. Some of the scholarships are Merit-cum-Means Scholarship (MCM), SC/ST/OBC Scholarship by Govt. of India, Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child, Government of Puducherry Fellowship or Scholarship Merit cum Means Scholarship.
Scholarships are Merit-cum-Means Scholarship - Rs.750 per month to 20% of students with income less than Rs.2.5L per annum
PG Merit: First 3 Ranks. Rs.2000/1500/1000 per month
Govt. of India: SC, ST, OBC Scholarships; Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child
Govt. of Puducherry: Merit/Merit-cum-Means: Rs.3000 per month