General Knowledge is important for several competitive exams such as the UPSC Civil Services Examination, SSC CGL, Bank PO & PSU entrance tests, etc. Therefore, understanding the concepts/ terms that are of practical significance in our daily lives is critical for aspirants. To make your preparation easier and help you score better, we at PaGaLGuY bring you brief articles on trending phenomena, terms and concepts.
This article will cover the important facts related to cancer.
- The word cancer was coined by Hippocrates, a Greek physician (also known as the Father of Medicine).
- HeLa cells is the oldest immortal human cell line used in research, derived from cervical cancer cells of Henrietta Lacks in 1951.
- The four most common cancers occurring worldwide are of the lungs, breasts, colon and prostate.
- The most common cancer found in India is oral cancer (in men) and breast cancer (in women).
- Chewing tobacco in its various forms causes nearly 90% of oral/mouth cancer cases in India.
- Globally, one in eight deaths are due to cancer. It alone causes more deaths than AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria combined.
- About 30% of the cancers can be prevented with a healthy change in diet and lifestyle, avoiding tobacco and alcohol.
- Use of tobacco is associated with 20% of global cancer deaths and 70% of global lung cancer deaths.
- Of the 4800 chemicals found in one cigarette, 69 are known to be proven carcinogens (cancer causing agents).
- Prediabetics (people with abnormally high levels of sugar in blood but without all symptoms of diabetes present) are at 15% higher risk of getting cancer as compared to normal people.
To get fresh updates about different exams on your Facebook & Twitter timelines, subscribe to our pages created specifically for them. We will post only exam specific links on these pages:
SSC – CGL: