Dear PaGaLGuY readers, as we all know General Knowledge is an important component of a number of competitive examinations such as the UPSC Civil Services Examination, Banking Entrance Examinations, SSC CGL/CHSL Examinations, MBA Entrance Examinations, Combined Defence Service Examination, etc. In order to help you practise and improve your General Knowledge, we hereby present this General Knowledge quiz.
Given below are a few questions from the General Studies papers of the UPSC Civil Services Preliminary Examinations between 1995 and 2010. Leave your answers/ responses in the comments section below and soon we’ll let you know the correct answers!
1. Who among the following Europeans were the last to come to pre-independent India as traders?
(a) Dutch (b) English (c) French (d) Portuguese
2. The following question consists of two statements, one labelled as the Assertion (A) and the other as the Reason (R). You are to examine these two statements carefully and select the answer to these items using the codes given below:
(a) Both A and R are individually true and R is the correct explanation of A
(b) Both A and R are individually true but A is not the correct explanation of A
(c) A is true but R is false
(d) A is false but R is true
Assertion (A): River Kalinadi is a river in the southern part of India and this river flows towards the east.
Reason (R): The Deccan plateau is higher along its western edge and gently slopes towards the Bay of Bengal in the East.
3. Who was the Chief Justice of India when Public Interest Litigation (PIL) was introduced in the Indian Judicial System?
(a) M. Hidayatullah
(b) A.M. Ahmadi
(c) A.S. Anand
(d) P.N. Bhagwati
4. Match List I to List II and select the correct answers using the codes given below:
List I List II
A. Boom 1. Business activity at a high level with increasing income, output, and employment at macro level
B. Recession 2. Gradual fall of income, output and employment with business activity in a low gear
C. Depression 3. Unprecedented level of under employment. Drastic fall in income, output and employment
D. Recovery 4. Steady rise in general level of prices, income, output and employment
Codes: A B C D
(a) 1 2 3 4
(b) 1 2 4 3
(c) 2 1 4 3
(d) 2 1 3 4
5. What is the principle by which a cooling system (Radiator) in a motor car works?
(a) Conduction only
(c) Radiation only
(d) Both conduction and radiation
To follow our UPSC portal on Facebook and Twitter, click on the following links: