Devendra Jhajharia wins gold medal in javelin throw at 2016 Rio Paralympics
India’s Devendra Jhajharia has won the gold medal in men’s javelin throw event at the 2016 Rio Paralympics. With this, he becomes only the second gold medallist at the Paralympics for the country. He won the gold medal with world-record throw of 63.97 metres. Devendra victory took India’s medal tally at this edition of the Paralympics to four medals — two golds, one silver and a bronze. He had also secured the gold medal in the javelin event at the 2004 Athens Paralympics with record throw of 62.15 metres. With this, he also became first Indian Paralympian to win two gold medals at the Paralympics.
- Devendra Jhajharia’s left hand amputated after he had met with accident in his childhood.
- He was awarded the Arjuna award in 2004 and the Padma Shri in 2012, becoming the first Paralympian to receive the honour. He last participated in the Paralympics 12 years ago i.e. in 2014, however the F46 event did not feature in the 2008 and the 2012 editions of Paralympics.
3rd BRICS Urbanisation Forum Meet begins in Vishakhapatnam
- The third edition of BRICS Urbanisation Forum Meet has started in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh. The three days conference was be inaugurated by Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu in the presence of Union Minister of Urban Development, M. Venkaiah Naidu.
- In this edition of conference the delegates from the BRICS nations, Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa are participating. During the three-day deliberations, they will discuss investments, urbanisation, formation of new cities and others.
- The conference will also discuss how to increase the productivity, how to make a separate urban finance system and creation of employment opportunities. Based on the discussions and deliberations ‘Vizag Declaration’ will be prepared, which will play a vital role in ministers’ conference of BRICS to be held on October 15 and 16, 2016 in Goa.
SAI-AIFF launch online portal for Global Scouting Programme
- The Sports Authority of India (SAI) and All India Football Federation (AIFF) have jointly launched an online portal for its Global Scouting Programme (GSP). The portal was launched by Union Sports Minister Vijay Goel in New Delhi.
- Under the Global Scouting Programme, boys of Indians living abroad will be able to play in India’s team in FIFA under-17 world cup scheduled in 2017 in different cities of the country.
- The online portal of GSP will allow applicant have to upload a two minute playing video on the site. It will provide Indian players who hold valid Indian passport a chance to present his playing talent to the scouts of India’s U-17 team.
Here is a list of last few articles on Current Affairs and the Monthly Bullet on Current Affairs for SSC