1) Cabinet approves signing of the Extradition Treaty between India and Afghanistan
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, has approved the signing and ratification of the Extradition Treaty between India and Afghanistan.
- The treaty would provide a legal framework for seeking extradition of terrorists, economic offenders and other criminals from and to the Afghanistan.
2) Cabinet approves Bilateral Technical Arrangement between India and Switzerland on the identification and return of Swiss and Indian Nationals
The Union Cabinet under the Chairmanship of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its approval for signing of the Technical Arrangement between India and Switzerland on the identification and return of Swiss and Indian Nationals and its implementation.
- Conclusion of the Bilateral Technical Arrangement (BTA) has been linked to the Visa Free Agreement for holders of Diplomatic passports as a package deal.
- The BTA essentially aims to formalise the existing procedure for cooperation on the return of irregular migrants between the two countries without introducing any additional obligations or exacting timeframes.
- It is noteworthy that the estimated number of irregular migrants in Switzerland who are thought to be from India is less than 100. If the BTA with Switzerland is approved as proposed, it would offer an opportunity to use the same as a model template for negotiations on the subject with other EU countries, which have been raising the issue regularly with us.
- It would also help to leverage the Readmission Agreement to liberalise visa and work permit regimes for legitimate Indian travellers. This has been envisaged as a key goal in the recently concluded India-EU Common Agenda on Migration and Mobility (CAMM).
3) BRICS Wellness Workshop and AROGYA fair inaugurated in Bengaluru
The two days BRICS Wellness Workshop and AROGYA fair is being organized by the Ministry of AYUSH, in collaboration with Research and Information System for Developing Countries (RIS). Secretary level Officers and Traditional Medicine/wellness experts from the BRICS countries are participating in the BRICS Wellness Workshop.
4) Stan Wawrinka defeats Novak Djokovic to win 2016 US Open Men’s Singles title
Third seed Stan Wawrinka on 11 September 2016 defeated world number one Novak Djokovic to lift the 2016 US Open Men’s Singles title.
- In the final, Swiss Wawrinka defeated Serbian Djokovic 6-7, 6-4, 7-5, 6-3 to clinch the title.
- This is Wawrinka’s maiden US Open title and his third major title
About 2016 US Open
- The 2016 US Open was a tennis tournament played on outdoor hard courts.
- The 2016 US Open was the 136th edition of the US Open, the fourth and final Grand Slam event of the year.
- It took place at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows–Corona Park of Queens in New York City, United States.
- Jamie Murray and Bruno Soares won the men’s doubles title.
- Angelique Kerber won the women’s singles event.
5) New imaging system to read closed books: MIT Research
In the latest issue of Nature Communications, a group of researchers described a prototype of the system, which they tested on a stack of papers, each with one letter printed on it. The system was able to correctly identify the letters on the top nine sheets. It is done with the help of Terahertz radiation, the band of electromagnetic radiation between microwaves and infrared light, and the tiny gaps of air between the pages of any closed book.
About Terahertz radiation:
- Terahertz radiation can distinguish between ink and blank paper in a way that X-rays cannot. It also offers much better depth resolution than ultrasound does.
- Terahertz radiation has been widely researched for use in security screening, because different chemicals absorb different frequencies of terahertz radiation to different degrees, yielding a distinctive frequency signature for each.
6) Philippine revenge drama ‘Ang Babaeng Humayo’ wins Golden Lion Award at Venice Film Festival
A revenge drama Ang Babaeng Humayo (The Woman Who Left) won the Golden Lion for Best Film Award at the 73 Venice Film Festival.
- Ang Babaeng Humayo is nearly four-hour black and white revenge drama film about a woman’s thirst for revenge and her feelings of forgiveness after 30 years in jail for a crime she did not commit.
- On the other hand, Russian director Andrei Konchalovsky and Mexican film director Amat Escalante shared Silver Lion for Best Direction for their respective films Paradise and The Untamed.
7) World’s first driverless bus service launched in French city of Lyon
The world’s first driverless bus service began carrying passengers in the first week of September 2016 in Lyon, France.
Two electric minibuses with a capacity of 15 passengers each are now operating a 10-minute route with five stops in the city centre at an average speed of 10 Kilometres per hour.
Key highlights of driverless bus
- The buses include features like LiDAR radar technology and motion sensors to help it avoid collisions.
- They’re equipped with a range of detectors that allow them to know exactly where they are. It can hold up to 15 passengers.
- The bus is designed by French company Navya. The electric buses were tested in several French cites and in Switzerland before coming to Lyon. They are also set to undergo trials in Dubai.
8) Union Government issues fresh guidelines for flexi-fund for CSS
Union Government on 9 September 2016 issued fresh flexi-fund guidelines for Centrally Sponsored Schemes (CSS). The guidelines would give more freedom to states in spending money under the CSS to meet local developmental requirements.
Under the new norms, flexi-funds in each CSS have been increased from the current 10 percent to 25 percent for states and 30 percent for Union Territories. Now, the states can use the fund to undertake mitigation or restoration activities in case of natural calamities, or to satisfy local requirements in areas affected by internal security disturbances.
9)Jamie Murray and Bruno Soares win 2016 US Open Men’s Doubles title
Britain’s Jamie Murray and Brazil’s Bruno Soares on 10 September 2016 won the 2016 US Open Men’s Doubles title.
Murray and Soares defeated Spain’s Pablo Carreno Busta and Guillermo Garcia-Lopez 6-2 6-3.
With this, Murray became the first Britisher to win the US Open doubles title in 44 years. Soares also became the first Brazilian to win more than one Grand Slam doubles title.
10)Angelique Kerber wins 2016 US Open Women’s Singles title
Germany’s Angelique Kerber on 10 September 2016 defeated Karolina Pliskova by 6–3, 4–6, 6–4 to win 2016 US Open Women’s Singles title.
It was Kerber’s second Grand Slam singles title. With this, she became the first German to win the US Open since Steffi Graf in 1996.
11)Army Green beat Neroca FC 6-5 to lift Durand Cup
Army Green on 11 September 2016 won the Durand Cup football title. In the final of Asia’s oldest football tournament in New Delhi, Army Green defeated Neroca FC 6-5 via penalty shoot outs.
In the semi-final, Army Green had prevailed over Aizawal FC by a 4-2 margin, to become the first Army team since 2005 to reach the title clash.
- Durand Cup is a football competition in India and was first held in 1888. It is co-hosted by the Durand Football Tournament Society (DFTS) and Osians. The Tournament is named after its founder, Sir Mortimer Durand, Foreign Secretary in charge of India from 1884 to 1894.
12) CBDT launches e-nivaran to resolve Income Tax grievances
Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) on 8 September 2016 launched e-nivaran (electronic resolution) facility for online redressal of taxpayers’ grievances. The grievances can be related to refunds, Income Tax Returns (ITRs), Tax Deducted at Source (TDS), and Permanent Account Number (PAN) among others.
- It will help taxpayers in registering their complaints through their computer and receive a special PIN number on their registered mobile number and email, which will help to keep track on the issues.
- It will also allow the complainant to track the progress of the complaint. People can lodge their complains and upload the documents related to the same in form od a PDF file and clubbed as a ZIP file.
- People who don’t have a PAN can also access the e-nivaran facility and lodge their complaints in connection with their I-T case.
- The ‘e-nivaran’ form will be available in a physical form at the Aaykar Sampark Kendras (ASK) (tax facilitation centre), located in over 300 cities. Later, the form will be fed into the system by tax officials.
Here is a list of last few articles on Current Affairs and the Monthly Bullet on Current Affairs for SSC