Mariyappan Thangavelu wins gold medal in men’s high jump at Rio Paralympics
India’s Mariyappan Thangavelu created history on Saturday morning by winning a gold medal in the men’s high jump T-42 event at the Rio Paralympics.
- His compatriot Varun Singh Bhati clinched the bronze medal the same event.
- While Thangavelu made a leap of 1.89 metres, Bhati jumped his personal best of 1.86 metres to finish third
- About Paralympics: The Paralympic Games is a major international multi-sport event involving athletes with a range of disabilities, including impaired muscle power, impaired passive range of movement, limb deficiency, etc. There are Winter and Summer Paralympic Games, which since the 1988 Summer Games in Seoul, South Korea, are held almost immediately following the respective Olympic Games. All Paralympic Games are governed by the International Paralympic Committee (IPC).
- Summer Paralympics 2016- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Winter Paralympics 2018- PyeongChang, South Korea
ICICI Bank introduces software robotics
The country’s leading private sector lender ICICI Bank has introduced ‘software robotics’ in handling its banking transactions.
- Over 200 software robots are now performing over 10 lakh transactions per day for the bank which comprises 10% of its total transactions. The bank will engage 500 software robots by the end of the year which will help it to automate 20% of its total transactions.
- ICICI becomes the first bank in India to introduce software robotics in the banking sector.
Haryana bags award for Best Horticulture State
Haryana has bagged ‘Best Horticulture State’ award for the concerted efforts made by the state government to increase the income of the farmers in horticulture.
The award was received by Haryana Agriculture Minister OP Dhankar on 9 September 2016 at two-day 9th Agricultural Leadership Summit 2016. The summit was organized by Indian Council of Food and Agriculture (ICFA) in New Delhi.
Here is a list of last four articles on Current Affairs and the Monthly Bullet on Current Affairs for SSC