National War Memorial and War Museum sanctioned by Defense Ministry
- The War Memorial and Museum will be constructed in New Delhi.
- The Memorial is to honour the memory of soldiers of Indian Armed Forces who have made the ultimate sacrifice for the nation.
- India Gate is also a war memorial which honour sacrifice of soldiers of undivided India in the First World War (1914-21). It was designed by Sir Edward Lutyens.
- Amar Jawan Jyoti or Flame of the Immortal Soldier is built beneath the archway of India Gate was installed after the 1971 war for liberation of Bangladesh.
Ramon Magsaysay Awards 2016 given to T M Krishna and Bezwada Wilson
- Wilson is the National Convener of the Safai Karmachari Andolan (SKA). He was awarded for asserting the inalienable right to a life of human dignity. He has done remarkable work in liberating scores of people engaged in manual scavenging across the country.
- Krishna is a Carnatic music vocalist. He was bestowed with this award ensuring social inclusiveness in culture.
- Other awardees include:
- Conchita Carpio Morales of Philippines – For restoring faith in the rule of law.
- Dompet Dhuafa of Indonesia – Is a non-profit institution working towards expanding the transformative impact especially in health services.
- Japan Overseas Cooperation Volunteers of Japan – The organisation was awarded for building a world of genuine solidarity.
- Vientiane Rescue of Laos – Is a volunteer ambulance service awarded for volunteering to save lives in traffic-related deaths and injuries.
Permanent Residency Status (PRS) to foreign investors approved by Union Cabinet
The PRS will be granted for a period of 10 years with multiple entry.
- If the PRS holder has not come to adverse notice, it can be reviewed for another 10 years. The scheme will be applicable only to foreign investors fulfilling the prescribed eligibility conditions and also his spouse and dependents.
- The minimum amount of investment should be 10 crores rupees within 18 months or 25 crores rupees within 36 months. Another condition for foreign investors to avail this scheme is that the investment should result in generating employment to at least 20 resident Indians every financial year.
Madhya Pradesh hosts BRICS Convention on Tourism
- The 2016 BRICS Convention on Tourism has begun at UNESCO World heritage site Khajuraho in Madhya Pradesh to promote intra-regional tourism. The two day convention was inaugurated by Union Minister of State (MoS) for Tourism and Culture. The convention has been organised as a precursor to the BRICS Summit to be held in Goa in October 2016.
- The focus of the convention on cooperation between the BRICS countries for promoting intra-regional tourism.Business to Business (B2B) meetings between the India Travel Trade and their counterparts from the BRICS countries will also be organised.
- The site of convention is the famous Khajuraho Temple. The temple complex is a group of Hindu and Jain Temples in Madhya Pradesh build by Chandela Dynasty between 950 and 1050 AD. It is also an UNESCO World heritage Site.
Here is a list of last four articles on Current Affairs and the Monthly Bullet on Current Affairs for SSC