Here are today’s important headlines with key details for UPSC, SSC, IBPS and other competitive examinations.
Union Government launched UDAN for Regional Air Connectivity
- The Union Government on October 21, 2016, unveiled the regional air connectivity scheme UDAN (Ude Desh ka Aam Naagrik), which seeks to enable people from smaller towns to access Air travel services.
- The scheme is expected to be rolled out by January 2017. The scheme UDAN envisages to provide connectivity to un-served and under-served airports of the country through revival of existing air-strips and airports. The scheme would be in operation for a period of 10 years.
- The Ministry of Civil Aviation took a major step today towards making flying a reality for the small town common man.
- Under the scheme, the airline operators will bid for up to 40 subsidised seats and minimum seats will be 9. There will be 50 percent seats on market based pricing.
- The scheme ensures affordability, connectivity, growth and development.
- This first-of-its-kind scheme will create affordable yet economically viable and profitable flights on regional routes so that flying becomes affordable for the common man even in small towns.
India, World Bank sign $650 Million agreement for Eastern Dedicated Freight Corridor
- India signed a 650-million US dollar loan agreement with the World Bank for the Eastern Dedicated Freight Corridor-III (EDFC-III) Project, on October 21, 2016. The project will benefit industries of Northern and Eastern India, which rely on railway network for transportation of material inputs and exports.
- These industries also depend on railway network for transportation of bulk processed and semi-processed commodities and consumer goods. Railway passengers will also be benefited through decongestion of the existing passenger lines.
- The project is being developed by Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India Ltd. (DFCCIL). It would also help in creating jobs in the northern and eastern regions of the country.
- The EDFC-III Project is to augment rail transport capacity, improve service quality and enhance freight carriage throughput on the 401 km Ludhiana-Khurja section of the Eastern Dedicated Freight Corridor.
- It seeks to develop institutional capacity of DFCCIL to build, maintain and operate the entire DFC network.
IGKV Chhattisgarh develops protein-enriched rice variety
- The researchers of the Indira Gandhi Krishi Vishwavidyalay (IGKV)Raipur, developed a protein-enriched rice variety.
- The newly developed rice variety has over 10 per cent protein content, which is three per cent more than what is found in any popular variety and has 30 PPM zinc content.
- The researchers hope that it would serve as a boon for malnourished population, especially children, in the tribal-dominated Chhattisgarh.
- As per a survey conducted in 2015, very high rate of malnutrition was found among pre-school children in tribal areas showing conditions like being underweight and stunted growth, which indicates a critical situation.
- The Women and Child Development Department in September 2016, informed that malnutrition rate in Chhattisgarh has declined to 29.8 per cent from 47.1 per cent.
SC freezes BCCI’s financial transactions
- The Supreme Court on October 21, 2016, froze all the financial transactions between BCCI and state cricket associations. The apex court directed the apex cricket body not to disburse any funds, even for the match purposes, till BCCI abides by the Justice RM Lodha panel recommendations.
- A bench headed by Chief Justice T S Thakur asked Lodha panel to appoint independent auditors to scrutinize all BCCI accounts. The judgment also directed the Lodha panel to ask the auditors to scrutinize the high-value contracts provided by BCCI.
- The apex court also directed BCCI president Anurag Thakur and Secretary Ajay Shirke to give a undertaking before the Lodha panel and apex court by December 3,2016, stating how much time they would need to implement reforms.
- It directed the Lodha panel to ask the auditors to scrutinise the high-value contracts given by BCCI and also fix a ceiling of high-value contracts involving media rights.
Here is a list of last few articles on Current Affairs and the Monthly Bullet on Current Affairs for SSC
Monthly Bullet Pdf for October 2016