Here are today’s important headlines with key details for UPSC, SSC, IBPS and other competitive examinations.
Indian Institute of Management, Jammu gets cabinet approval
· The Union Cabinet of India has approved the establishment of the Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Jammu on October 13, 2016.
· The cabinet meeting was headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
· The new IIM will operate initially from the Old Government College of Engineering and Technology, Jammu for four years.
· This will be the 20th IIM in the country.
· The student strength intake for this year in the Post Graduate Diploma Programme (PGDP) in Management is 54, which will gradually go up to 120 by the 4th year.
· The cabinet also approved the formation of the IIM Jammu Society under the Societies Registration Act, 1860.
First ‘World Tsunami Awareness Day’ to be celebrated on November 5 by AMCDRR
· The Asian Ministerial Conference for Disaster Risk Reduction (AMCDRR) 2016 is going to celebrate the first ‘World Tsunami Awareness Day’ on November 5, 2016.
· The conference will begin on November 3 at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi organized by Government of India with the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR).
· The United Nations had previously designated 5th November as World Tsunami Awareness Day.
· The conference will have activities like thematic events, exhibitions and distribution of awareness material.
MoU between India and Hungary on water management cooperation approved by cabinet
· The Union Cabinet of India has approved the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Hungary on cooperation in the field of water management.
· The Union Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, Government of India and the Ministry of Interior, Government of Hungary will sign the MoU.
· This will be the first time India will enter in a wide-range water sector MoU with Hungary.
· Apart from cooperation in basin management, integrated water resources management, irrigation technology innovation, and flood & drought management, the countries will also exchange scientific delegations and experts in the field of water resources development and management.
International Day for Disaster Reduction celebrated on October 13
· To encourage citizens and governments to take part in building more disaster resilient communities, the International Day for Disaster Reduction (IDDR) is observed every year on October 13.
· The theme of IDDR 2016 is ‘Live to Tell: Raising Awareness, Reducing Mortality’.
· With IDDR 2016, there will be launch a new ‘Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction’ by United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR).
· Sendai Framework is a 15-year voluntary, non-binding agreement which recognizes that it is the countries that have the primary role to reduce the risks associated with disasters.
· The International Day for Disaster Reduction was initiated by UN General Assembly in 1989.
India ranked at 97th position in Global Hunger Index 2016
· In the report released by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) on Global Hunger Index 2016 on October 11, India has been placed at 97th position.
· Neighbouring countries like, China (29), Nepal (72), Myanmar (75), Sri Lanka (84) and Bangladesh (90) are ahead in the ranking from India. Pakistan is at 107 rank in terms of hunger, which is even worse than India.
· Although India is running the two biggest child nutrition programme (ICDS and Mid Day Meal) for children across the country, malnutrition doesn’t seem to be ending for the country.
· The index is prepared on the basis of four key indicators: undernourishment, child mortality, child wasting and child stunting.
· In 2016, 118 countries in the developing world took part in the GHI report.