Here are today’s important headlines with key details for UPSC, SSC, IBPS and other competitive examinations.
IAF Personnel can’t sport beard on religious grounds, directs Supreme Court
- The Supreme Court on December 15, 2016, ruled that the Indian Air Force (IAF) personnel cannot sport a beard on religious grounds.
- The judgment was pronounced by a bench comprising the Chief Justice of India TS Thakur, Justice DY Chandrachud and Justice L Nageswara Rao
- In the judgment, the bench reasoned that the personal policies on appearance are not intended to discriminate against religious beliefs but to ensure uniformity and discipline which are indispensable to every armed force.
- The bench further observed that for the effective functioning of a large combat force, the members must bond together by a sense of esprit-de-corps. There should not be any distinctions on the basis of caste, creed, colour or religion.
- The bench concluded that while on duty, every member of the Indian Air Force is required to wear the uniform and not display any sign distinguishing one from another.
Assam’s Majuli to be India’s first carbon neutral district
- Assam’s island district, Majuli will now become India’s first ever Carbon neutral district by 2020.
- The project titled ‘’Sustainable Action for Climate Resilient Development in Majuli’ (SACRed, Majuli) was launched by Additional Principal Chief Conservator of Forest, A K Johari on December 14, 2016. It was initiated by Assam’s department of Environment and Forest to fight against climate change and reduce the emission of greenhouse gases.
About Majuli district
- Situated on the Brahmaputra River, the district is the world’s largest river island and India’s first Island district.
- It is located towards the east of Assam’s largest city – Guwahati.
- It was formed due to change in the course of Brahmaputra and its tributaries.
What does Carbon Neutrality mean?
- Carbon neutrality refers to achieving net zero carbon footprint by removing as much carbon dioxide from the atmosphere as the amount released into it.
Seventh Indo-Maldives joint Military exercise EKUVERIN begins
The seventh edition of EKUVERIN commenced on December 15, 2016, at Kadhdhoo, Laamu Atoll, Maldives. The exercise will conclude on December 28, 2016.
- The exercise aims at conducting military training with emphasis on amphibious and counter insurgency/ counter terrorism operations.
- It also aims at enhancing interoperability between the two armies.
- The contingents taking part in the exercise comprises of platoon strength from BIHAR Regiment and a similar strength of the Maldivian National Defence Force.