Sakshi Malik gets India its first medal at Rio Olympics 2016
- Sakshi Malik clinched the bronze in the Women’s Freestyle 58kg category with a spirited comeback victory over Aisuluu Tynybekova of Kyrgyzstan.
- She overturned a 0-5 deficit in a hectic second round to script an 8-5 victory over the Kyrgyzstan wrestler.
Najma Heptullah appointed as Governor of Manipur
- Najma Heptullah took the charge as Governor of Manipur from V Shamuganatha, to become the 18th Governor of the State.
- She served as a Union Minister till July 2016, before resigning on the ground of age (75)
- Other Appointments
• Banwarilal Purohit was appointed as the Governor of Assam.
• VP Singh Badnore was made the Governor of Punjab.
• Prof Jagdish Mukhi was named Lieutenant Governor of Andaman and Nicobar Islands in place of Lt Gen (Retd) AK Singh.
CLRI scientist awarded with APJ Abdul Kalam Award
- Central Leather Research Institute’s (CLRI) Principal Scientist P Shanmugam was awarded the APJ Abdul Kalam Award on August 15, 2016, for his meritorious service in the Higher Education Department of Tamil Nadu.
- The award consists of a certificate, 5 lakh rupees cheque and an 8-gram gold medal.
China, ASEAN to form South China sea framework
- China and ten member countries of Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) have agreed to form a framework for a code of conduct to ease tension in disputed South China Sea.
- The agreement was reached between both sides during a meeting at Inner Mongolia in northern China held on August 15 and 16, 2016. Key Facts The two sides also agreed to get the framework for the code of conduct done by mid-2017. They also approved guidelines for a China-ASEAN hotline for use during maritime emergencies.
- They also agreed that a pact on unplanned maritime encounters signed by countries in the region in 2014 is applied to the SCS.
First SAARC Youth Parliamentarians Conference begins in Islamabad from August 17
- The first South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) Youth Parliamentarians Conference on `Peace and Harmony for Development’ was held in Islamabad, Pakistan.
- The two-day (from August 16 to 18, 2016) intends to offer young Parliamentarians’ narrative as a prelude to the 19th SAARC Summit to be hosted by Pakistan in November 2016. Key Facts 8 parliamentary delegates from 8 SAARC member countries are participating in the conference. Lok Sabha MP Kalikesh Narayan Singh Deo, is leading the three-member Indian delegation.
- The goal of the conference is to build bridges between the future leaders of South Asia on a platform that supports continued engagement and cooperation. It is dialogue among Young Parliamentarians of SAARC region to create democratic space to meet expanding expectations of burgeoning youth population in region.
- It seeks to provide an opportunity for the youth and Parliamentarians to apprise respective Government leaders on where the youth of South Asia stands on a vision for the region ahead of the High Level Summit. Besides, it also seeks to set the foundation of strong inter-parliamentary linkages between parliamentarians from across South Asia.
- The linkages will be to setup a network that can nurture regional interaction, support democratic norms and build a coalition for sustained dialogue and peaceful cooperation.
Stay tuned to PaGaLGuY for more updates on Current Affairs, as we will be updating the page at regular intervals.
Here is a list of last four articles on Current Affairs and the Monthly Bullet on Current Affairs