Manjulla Chellur appointed as Chief Justice of Bombay High Court
- Manjulla Chellur was on 12 August 2016 appointed as Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court with effect from 24 August 2016. Presently, she is the Chief Justice of the Calcutta High Court.
- She succeeds DH Waghela, who retired as Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court on 10 August 2016. Waghela held the post for a brief six months.
- Chellur will be only second woman Chief Justice of the Bombay High Court after Sujata Manohar who served the office in 1994. She is scheduled to retire in 2017.
Usain Bolt wins gold in men’s 100 meters in Rio Olympics
- Usain Bolt on 14 August 2016 clinched gold in the 100-metre final in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- With this win, Bolt became the first man to win the event three times at consecutive Olympic Games.
- Bolt won the race in 9.81 seconds, followed by USA’sJustin Gatlin at 9.89 seconds and Canada’s Andre De Grasse at a personal-best 9.91 seconds.
- De Grasse is also the first Canadian male athlete to win a medal in Rio.
Eminent Tamil Lyricist Na Muthukumar passes away
- Eminent poet and lyricist Na Muthukumar passed away on 14 August 2016 in Chennai, Tamil Nadu following a brief illness. He was 41. He is survived by his wife, a son and a daughter.
- He was known for his critically acclaimed literary work and Tamil film songs.
Spiritual guru Pramukh Swami Maharaj passes away
- Pramukh Swami Maharaj, head of Bochasanwasi Akshar Purushottam Swaminarayan Sanstha (BAPS) of Swaminarayan sect, passed away on 13 August 2016 at Sarangpur, Gujarat. He was 95.
Dipika Pallikal wins Australian Open Squash 2016 title
- India’s top squash player Dipika Pallikal on 13 August 2016 won the Australian Open Squash women’s singles title in Melbourne.
- To win the title, the top seed Dipika defeated eighth seed Mayar Hany of Egypt 10-12, 11-5, 11-6, 11-4 in the 40-minute final. For Dipika, this was the first title win in 2016. Earlier, in February 2015, she won the Winnipeg Winter Open in Canada.
International Youth Day: August 12
- The International Youth Day was celebrated across the world on 12 August 2016.
- The theme of the 2016 International Youth Day is – The Road to 2030: Eradicating Poverty and Achieving Sustainable Consumption and Production.
Union Government constitutes National Committee on Trade Facilitation
- The Union Government has constituted a National Committee on Trade Facilitation (NCTF) to develop the Pan-India road map for trade facilitation.
- It has been constituted in line with the World Trade Organisation (WTO’s) Trade Facilitation Agreement (FTA), which India also has ratified.
- The NCTF will inter – ministerial body on trade facilitation and will be headed by Pradeep Kumar Sinha, who is the Cabinet Secretary of India.
India’s first facility to produce nickel launched by HCL in Jharkhand
- India’s first facility to produce nickel was launched by the Hindustan Copper Limited (HCL) at its Indian Copper Complex (ICC) at Ghatshila in Jharkhand.
- The new facility “Nickel, Copper and Acid Recovery Plant” will be first facility in India to produce nickel metal of London Metal Exchange (LME) grade from primary resource.
- Initially, the capacity of the plant is poised to be 50 tonnes per annum, given the current production rate from the Surda mines. However, the nickel output will be increased nearly eight times after the completion of mine expansion projects located at Ghatsila.
- The plant will utilize eco-friendly technology and help check pollution and also eliminate use of lead, reduce liquid effluents and cut down solid waste by 75%. It will also utilise less energy, provide a safe working environment and conserve natural resources, the statement added. Significance:
- The annual demand for pure nickel in India is around 45,000 MT and country’s domestic market is totally dependent on import. Thus it will help to curb import dependence.
Stay tuned to PaGaLGuY for more updates on Current Affairs, as we will be updating the page at regular intervals.
Here is a list of last four articles on Current Affairs and the Monthly Bullet on Current Affairs