One stop for all your Current Affairs needs for UPSC IAS 2017, SSC CGL 2017, Bank PO 2017 and other Competitive Exams
UAE unveils plans to build the first city on Mars by 20117
The UAE has unveiled plans to build the first city on Mars by 2117 as the oil-rich state looks to transport people to the Mars over the next few decades.
- Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai Shaikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum and Abu Dhabi Crown Prince and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces Shaikh Mohammad Bin Zayed Al Nahyan announced the 100-year national project on which the Gulf state would collaborate with specialised international organisations and scientific institutes.
- The UAE will set a plan to achieve scientific breakthroughs to facilitate the transport of people to the Red Planet in the coming decades.
- The plan will involve scientific research programmes in order to nurture national cadres specialised in space sciences at universities in the UAE.
- The announcement was made during the World Government Summit in the presence of representatives of 138 governments, six major international organisations, as well as leading international tech companies, the Gulf News reported.
INS Tarini to be Inducted into Indian Navy on February 18, 2017
The Indian Navy’s second ocean going sailboat Tarini will be inducted at a ceremony scheduled to be held at the INS Mandovi Boat Pool on evening of February 18, 2017.
- The sail boat Tarini is being inducted into the Navy and is slated to be the platform for First Indian All Women Circumnavigation of the Globe expedition of the Indian Navy.
- The boat has been built to a stock design by Van de Stadt, Netherlands called Tonga 56.
- The boat draws her origin from the famous Tara-Tarini temple of Orissa’s Ganjam district. The word Tarini means a Boat and is also a Sanskrit word for Saviour.
- In order to promote ocean sailing activities and to encourage women empowerment, the Indian Navy conceptualised the idea of the First Indian All Women Circumnavigation of the Globe. A team of six women Officers led by Lieutenant Commander Vartika Joshi was selected for this project.
Supreme Court introduces Middle Income Group Scheme to facilitate legal aid at affordable prices
Now, it is easier for the middle and relatively lower income group to avail and enjoy the legal services of the country. The Supreme Court of India has introduced the Middle Income Group Scheme.
- It is a self supporting scheme which provides legal services to the middle income group citizens i.e. citizens whose gross income is not exceeding Rs.60, 000 per month or Rs. 7, 50, 000 per annum.
- Under the scheme, middle class people who can`t afford the expensive litigation in the Supreme Court can avail the services of the society for a nominal amount. The person desirous of availing the benefit of the Scheme shall have to fill up the form prescribed and accept all the terms and conditions contained therein.\