Opinion on Companies/Career options !!

Hi all It has been observed that one of the most important areas related to which we face dilemma is the opinion on companies and career options. Few FAQs in this area which have been observed are: * What company to go for, from the avai…

Hi all

It has been observed that one of the most important areas related to which we face dilemma is the opinion on companies and career options. Few FAQs in this area which have been observed are:

What company to go for, from the available choice ?

What career option to select from 2 different streams ?

Which company would be better for me wrt vision which i have for me ?

How to move across 2 different functions?

What about a job switch from company A to company B ?
etc.

This thread caters to all the queries related to this issue being faced by quite a few of us. Pour in your queries and fellow puys shall respond to them appropiately!! :)

Other helpful links are :

Finance : http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/why-finance-25068219

Marketing: http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/why-marketing-25066758

Supply Chain Management: http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/why-supply-chain-management-scm-25066759

Link to older thread for reference : http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/personal-career-cat-job-dilemma-queries-a-repository-25009670

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Hi Thanks for the new thread...

I have one question I am preparing for GMAT and planning to give it in DEC.
But I am still undecided about my stream for MBA.I have Finance and Marketing in my mind.What are the career oppurtunities in both the fields?

I am working in IT from past 3.6 years exp in Infosys.
My target is anything above 700 score and wish to do it from EUrope.

Can you suggest me how should I start narrowing my college preferences and stream preferences, I am very confused and unable to concentrate on GMAT prep.

Thanks in Advance

Regards,
Abhinav

Hey,

Nice initiative, visionIIM-ACL :clap:

I am keen to know which companies/banks, over the globe, are really considerable for Asset Mgmt., Wealth Mgmt., Investment Mgmt. & Security Analysis and Portfolio Mgmt. Also I am interested to know what are the roles offered post-MBA, in this field. Can I enter pre-MBA, in order to get experience?

As far as I know, Swiss Banks are really good for Asset & Wealth Mgmt. And all major Banks & I-Banks have these departments (from where they print money )

But I'd like to know which companies/banks have the edge.

Thanks, in advance!

Hey,

I am keen to know which companies/banks, over the globe, are really considerable for Asset Mgmt., Wealth Mgmt., Investment Mgmt. & Security Analysis and Portfolio Mgmt. Also I am interested to know what are the roles offered post-MBA, in this field. Can I enter pre-MBA, in order to get experience?

Hi

I think above query will be more appropiately answered by finance enthusiasts providing guidance to all at this thread http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/why-finance-25068219

And to the best of my knowledge , you can get into these profile without MBA also but you should either have backup of highly reputed grad college like IIT etc or some very relevant certifications related to these profiles.

Hope this helps! 😃

Hi,

Want to get some idea of studying MBA in canada?

Expsoure
ROI
Future
Placements!!!

Hi,

Want to get some idea of studying MBA in canada?

Please post the query here http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/ask-a-consultant-gmat-gre-only-25062774 for a more appropiate response. 😃

Cheers!

Hi fellow puys ... I m a fresher currently in the seventh sem of btech ECE . I hav been placed in both Accenture and CTS. I need to choose one among those in the next 10 days.

Now the offers go lyk this ,

CTS does not hav a bond while Accenture has a one year bond after training ( trainng is for three months). Pay is more or less the same wit CTS a tad bit higher.

I wud lyk to get more inputs frm u guys on which one to choose frm the perspective of CAT preps , gud work atm etc?

Hi fellow puys ... I m a fresher currently in the seventh sem of btech ECE . I hav been placed in both Accenture and CTS. I need to choose one among those in the next 10 days.

Now the offers go lyk this ,

CTS does not hav a bond while Accenture has a one year bond after training ( trainng is for three months). Pay is more or less the same wit CTS a tad bit higher.

I wud lyk to get more inputs frm u guys on which one to choose frm the perspective of CAT preps , gud work atm etc?

Congrats for these offers.!

I wouldn't comment about these companies, but I'd rather take a different perspective.

Choose a company which matches your future goals & plans. If u r planning for MBA or higher studies, its better you opt for CTS as there won't be any bond. In that case you can leave the company any time.

If you are firm that you will be staying in IT field and you don't have any problem with bond, or it doesn't bother you (financially or any other way) to breach the bond, then the choice is yours whether you want to sign a bond or not. Both companies are really good.

Just make a decision after equivocating. Keep two things in mind
1) It is not hard to make a decision. but what is hard is sticking to it, no matter what. &
2) Sometimes, it is better to stay out of trouble then to get out of it.!

I hope this helps.

Hi Thanks for the new thread...

I have one question I am preparing for GMAT and planning to give it in DEC.
But I am still undecided about my stream for MBA.I have Finance and Marketing in my mind.What are the career oppurtunities in both the fields?

I am working in IT from past 3.6 years exp in Infosys.
My target is anything above 700 score and wish to do it from EUrope.

Can you suggest me how should I start narrowing my college preferences and stream preferences, I am very confused and unable to concentrate on GMAT prep.

Thanks in Advance

Regards,
Abhinav

Hi Puys,

I have got a Call for Apttitude cum Evaluation Process on October 9,2011 .

I submitted my form yesterday only i was not aware they will schedule the exam in very short notice.

I didnt appear in CAT and GMAT exam so no score woth me.
I have to clear SP jain Aptitude test which consist of 10-15 GK question and -2 marking is also there.

MY GK is very waek and i dont have much time to work on it.
I am staying in Delhi and exam is in mumbai on October 9,2011 .

Even I didnt prepare for Case Stude and Essay this is my first MBA entrance Exam so should i go with half hearted.

I am Preparing for CAT 2011 and i am confident to get good score.
So Going to mumbai and preparing for SP jain 5-6 days can affect my CAT prepration.

I am in dellima as only 7-8 days left should I appear in it or not.

Please provide some valuable suggestions

P.S. : Considering money factor also to and fro and form fee will cost me around 15-20 thousand rs.

Can somebody please throw some light on Priority Banking for heaven's sake?

I am tired of asking this over and over and nobody responds. Is it possible for a finance guy to start in Priority banking and move towards finance roles internally in a private Indian bank? And would CRM role in a bank help move to an IT company later on?

Please somebody answer these.

Can somebody please throw some light on Priority Banking for heaven's sake?

I am tired of asking this over and over and nobody responds. Is it possible for a finance guy to start in Priority banking and move towards finance roles internally in a private Indian bank? And would CRM role in a bank help move to an IT company later on?

Please somebody answer these.

Priority banking is primarily another name for the roles executed by Relationship Managers. You are responsible for HNI clients who will communicate directly with you for anything related to the bank and their account(s).

It is very difficult to move to fiance roles from this line as this is a base Marketing Role rather than a pure Finance role.

If you are in CRM in banking, unless you are in the backend/IT support role, you cannot get into an IT company from there. Priority Banking/RM/CRM are all sales based roles and you perform functions that are only cursorily finance/IT related.

Think about it.

Regards,
Grondmaster

Thank you very much for such an outright response(help), groundmaster. I was kind of getting mad knowing nothing about the career prospects.

Can you please let me know a few finance specific roles for an MBA fresher? I heard that maintaining Forex accounts of Customers is one such role usually offered to freshers? And SME credit Analyst? Thanks again.

Hey Puyz,

I need some guidance. I am working as a Software Engineer right now. I want to work at a brokerage house, I am interested to work & learn more in Capital Markets. How can I make the shift? How can I get such a job? If anyone has some guidance or experience to share, I'd be very grateful.

Also, which brokerage house can be considered good, if I want to learn equity trading, commodities trading, derivatives trading and all related types of trading...??

Thanks in advance.!

Fresher21 Says
Can you please let me know a few finance specific roles for an MBA fresher?

Going through following thread would help you for sure in getting the answer of above query 😃 http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/why-finance-25068219

Cheers!

Hi friends!!
Nice to see a thread like this....couldn't resist myself posting my query here....

Actually , I have been working in a software company for two years and having a terrible experience...
There is no work limit as per schedule and the project in which I am involved with is a very hectic one.Sometimes I have to work 15-16 hours a day and that too with no appreciation at all from my PM and Director.
In the past two years my view regarding Job has changed quiet a lot.

I am planning to do MBA this year and want to get into PSU after that in which JOB is not that hectic and salary package is also good...

plz tell me is it possible to get into a good PSU with handsome salary package without too much work load....
Plz respond

I know I am thinking too much regarding that but it's better to be silly sometimes....

Hey everyone, found this forum by some random google search, seems it's a pretty hot place with intelligent ppl. I got a question with EVS and I know it's an India company so desperately hope someone here can help me out.

A little about myself first:
I'm from China but did my master degree on Maths in Japan, so I'm native in Mandarin and quite fluent in Japanese.

I got hired by a top tier EU bank into their OPs division and has been working there 3 years so far. The pay is decent but the work itself is terribly repetitive and career prospect is bleak.

These days I'm thinking about jumping to equity research but in the bank i'm working with it's difficult to go from middle office to front office directly. So my strategy is to go to some boutique bank or some firm specializing in equity research first for few years, do my CFA there, and then try come back to those big-name banks again.

After spamming my CV to literally everywhere recently I got an investment analyst offer from EVS here in Shanghai as they are expanding their business in Japan so they want someone who has good Japanese skill.

So my ultimate questions are:
1) Is it a good idea to leave the middle office of a top-tier bank for equity research in EVS?
2) What is the typical exit opportunity for ppl who worked a few years in EVS? Do I stand a chance to get into IB after few years with EVS?

Really important decision for me, any advice will be appreciated

Hi friends,

I am a fresher and have got placement offers from CTS and Mu Sigma as Business analyst. I love maths and don't know coding. Which one should I prefer? CTS - 3.3 Lacs, Mu Sigma - 4.3 lacs. Obviously most of you might recommend Mu SIgma. Does it really have maths or more of coding? More importanly, many new companies are coming to our campus like EXL services for programming analsyt, Sapient Global(for Junior associate technology). Which profile among these would be best if I want a career in business like investment banking and asset management, and am planning to do an MBa. Please tell the work pressure as well...
Thank you puys..:p:-P

Hi All,

I am starting this post for all those who wants to pursue their career in finance and are confused whether to an MBA or do a course in financial research. There are so many institutes offering short tem courses in finance which are good to start a career with.

I myself is very confused as I am preparing for CAT but know its very difficult to get into a good bschool. So wat to do if not top 20 ,whether to do an MBA from any private college or to do a short term finance course from somewhere and work for a year or two and then do MBA.

Please guys post your comment as it would be highly appreciated by all the students who are looking their career in finance.