XLRI 2009 -Official thread for Queries

Even though the official notification is not yet out, that shouldn’t stop us from discussing whatever queries we have about XLRI, and how to get here. So, feel free to shoot!! With end-terms fast approaching, we might not be hyperactive …

Even though the official notification is not yet out, that shouldn't stop us from discussing whatever queries we have about XLRI, and how to get here.

So, feel free to shoot!!

With end-terms fast approaching, we might not be hyperactive here, but we sure will try to answer your queries to the best of our respective abilities.

All the best!!

P.S. Please note that this thread is primarily meant to answer queries about XLRI, but that doesn't mean we won't answer queries about XAT. Of course, our limited knowledge of other colleges covered by XAT may prevent us from answering queries about them, but anything on XAT/XLRI is welcome.

@Mods, please change the name of the thread to 'XLRI/XAT 2009 - Official thread for queries.'

Feel free to ask any query ppl....
Be it about the exam, the PI or just Life @ XL....
Nice initiative Sumit....
I'm with u...

I'm providing some links to last year's discussions and queries, so that maybe you can get some help from there too.

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/xlri-2008-2010-gd-pi-queries-discussion-25028028
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/2008-xlri-pi-experiences-bm-pmir-25029283
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/how-is-fms-jmet-and-xat-different-from-cat-and-how-to-prepare-differently-for-them-25024167

For further help, of course, we folks are here. :)

All the best!!

seeds at your service.

Here's where you guys can prolly start........

http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/lifexlri-25023932
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/xat-2008-queries-and-discussion-25023651
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/xat-30-days-quant-preparation-25019505
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/preparation-resources-for-xat-2005-25006035
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/question-from-original-xat-fms-snap-papers-etc-25019503
xat Threads - Forum Tags by Zoints
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/xat-xlri2007-09-queries-and-discussion-exam-jan-7-2007-25016825
http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/xlri-batch-of-2009-25022163

I am the first one to ask a doubt
Is the higher maths almost neccesary for getting admission at Xl or not
i have heard that in interview they too ask higher maths ?
is it correct ??

I am the first one to ask a doubt
is it correct ??

Shivam, the XAT exam does include some higher maths, but then it's not too complicated. And a lot of the junta who is here is from a non-Maths/non-Science background. There are people from Arts, Psychology, Biology too. So, don't worry too much. The higher maths is rather manageable.

Also, in the interview, one can't really predict what they ask. But so far, I don't think too many people have been asked to actually solve questions. They might ask you about your acads in general, and about your essay, as well as other such stuff.

However, if you are asked a question on higher maths, you can always politely say that you're not very comfortable with it. They'll surely find other ways to judge your suitability for the course. 😃

Although XAT does have a few questions on Higher maths such as differential eqns and integration, the proportion of these are quite low....
As it is, the cutoffs for the maths section is quite low....
So it is good if u know "higher maths", but the the lack of it does not exactly cripple you...

being a jesuit institution,are there management seats available, coz for LIBA they do have management seats.

Just posting what SEEDS had posted in the other queries thread (Now as I've requested the mods to delete that thread only so posting it here)
I'll answer the essay part....

The topic which came in XAT2008 was something like "Gender Imbalance: The reason for third world war". I was like WTF?But in the end my preparation paid off...

Sample topics from yesteryear....
1999 Television really is, another eye so you can see anywhere, another part of your heart so you can feel and care about things you never felt and cared
about before, another ear to hear strange music.... The first and only
international language.

2000 Ships are safer in the harbour. But they are not meant for the same.

2001 Economic Growth without distributive justice can only lead to violence

2002 Indian Economy in the Post WTO Era.

2003 To give real service, one needs to add something that cannot be bought or measured, like sincerity and integrity.

2004 Asked at the age of 83, as to which of his project would he choose as his
master piece, Frank Lloyd wright, the architect answered, The next one

2005 More than one billion Indians: A gigantic problem or a sea of opportunities.

Here's text taken from career launcher.....

XAT Essay Analysis
XAT essay, analysis of past year questions and tips to approach them

The short essays that appear in XAT can be classified into the following two types:
  1. Short essays on contemporary topics related to economy/polity/society of India. It could be a burning international issue as well.

e.g. The US Presidential Election provides better entertainment than many Bollywood blockbusters! Or serious ones like the impact of 9/11 on India.

The student should not worry much about these, if he/ she has been merely glancing through headlines or even half-heartedly listening to news. He can safely attempt most of these, with reasonable confidence.

The most important thing to be kept in mind is that students are not supposed to write research papers on such topics. If they can approximately capture few major correlates of the topic, the job is done for them. Even if they miss few points, it should not bother them much.

The only suggestion is that out of the allotted 20 minutes, spend at least 5 minutes to recall, plan and organize what you intend to write. Use remaining 15 minutes to write 150-200 words in a cogent and coherent manner using grammatically correct English. Avoid flowery, bombastic language.

To elaborate, the 2002 essay is discussed below
    Indian economy in the post WTO era

The answer should elaborate on the following key points (which the student must identify in the first 5 minutes):

a. What is WTO? What is its role? (25-30 words)
    b. First, the student should identify what all should come in Indian economy, and then discuss the impact on each of these one by one. Following sectors/areas are important in this context

- The three sectors viz. manufacturing, agriculture and service sector.
    - Divide the three sectors into industries for example manufacturing into pharmaceutical, automobile, steel, textile etc., service sector into IT, education entertainment, tourism, etc.
    - Now discuss impact on each of these. For example in case of pharmaceutical sector, Indian companies will have to shift to product patenting from process patenting, under the TRIPS (Trade Related Intellectual Property Rights) obligations of WTO

c. After impact, also briefly discuss, what has the Indian government and industry doing to adjust to new realities.
    d. Lastly, conclude with your suggestions what should be done to rise to the challenges and to make best use of emerging opportunities.
  2. Abstract topics like those, which appeared in 2003 and 2004 (discussed in detail later). The major problem with them is that students get in awe of the flowery and twisted language used in them, and cannot figure out what should he write in them.

Following guidelines may be helpful:

a. Once again spend 5-7 minutes to interpret and understand what the author implies? Are there any subtle nuances intended?
    b. It is very important to understand that there may be more than one interpretation possible for the given topic. But all interpretations are equally valid provided the student rationally explains it, and logically takes it forward.
    c. Thus the student should clarify how he understands/ interprets the given topic, clearly stating his reasons for doing so, right in the very beginning. The student may also disagree with the given statement.
    d. Next the student should build his case in support of his interpretation. Use of anecdotes, daily life examples. Fables etc., are very helpful in this regard.
    e. Lastly, the student should conclude, and end on a definite and concrete note.

To elaborate, the 2003 and 2004 topics are discussed below.
To give real service, one needs to add something, which cannot be bought or measured like sincerity and integrity. (2003)
Following tips may be helpful here:

1. You clarify how do you construe real service. Is the author excluding materialistic service?
  2. You also clarify whether you agree with the author or not. Clearly understand that you can take either stand or even the middle path. Important thing is how you support it.
  3. Now, proceed by giving reasons and examples to support the stance you have taken. e.g., in case you want to support the argument, give the example of the myth of Ramayana in which Shabri offers berries to Lord Ram. Or elaborate on the life of Mother Teresa.
  4. Keep on building your answer and conclude with a definite statement.
  5. Once again avoid flowery English, and use grammatically correct English with a lucid style.

Asked which of his works would he select as his master piece, architecture, Frank Lloyd Wright at the age of 83 remarked, ' my next one' (2004)

It is based on a direct quotation and the students are expected to elaborate the idea intended. Following guidelines should be helpful:
  1. Write something on the creative urge that is unique to mankind.
  2. If you come from humanities background and are aware of Karl Marx and his works, stress on his concept of creative humanism, that man feels incomplete without the products of his creation and sees his reflection in them, just as a father sees his reflection in his son.
  3. Also elaborate on the idea that it is the body, which gets older, the mind can remain as young as it wants to, immune to fluctuations in time.
  4. Also stress on the fact that most creative works in the field of art and architecture have come from people towards the end of their life. e.g. Goethe wrote Faust at the age of 70.
  5. You can also stress on the desire to ever improve in certain people, which constantly keeps them restless.
  6. You can also show your disagreement with Frank by, observing that some people never feel contentment, irrespective of their age and remain restive
  7. Similarly, you can develop new dimensions in the topic and write 150- 200 words.

To practice, few sample abstract topics are suggested below:
  1. Asked what is the essence of science, French philosopher Auguste Comte replied,
    " to know is to predict and to predict is to control"
  2. If youth knew, if age could!
  3. I am great; God may be great as well.
  4. "Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely"
    Lord Acton.
  5. The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world.

Courtesy: SEEDS
midhunjose2000 Says
being a jesuit institution,are there management seats available, coz for LIBA they do have management seats.

No Midhun, we only have open seats here. 😃
Shivam, the XAT exam does include some higher maths, but then it's not too complicated. And a lot of the junta who is here is from a non-Maths/non-Science background. There are people from Arts, Psychology, Biology too. So, don't worry too much. The higher maths is rather manageable.

Also, in the interview, one can't really predict what they ask. But so far, I don't think too many people have been asked to actually solve questions. They might ask you about your acads in general, and about your essay, as well as other such stuff.

However, if you are asked a question on higher maths, you can always politely say that you're not very comfortable with it. They'll surely find other ways to judge your suitability for the course. :)

Thanks Sumit

Also can u suggest what needs to be done along with the ususla preparation of CAT for XAT means how much time one take to study the higher math and other stuff
i sone month after cat is enough or u neeed to be regular from now onwards also....

also if possible please suggest some books or resources to prepare for XAT i am anxiously looking for that
Thanks Sumit

Also can u suggest what needs to be done along with the ususla preparation of CAT for XAT means how much time one take to study the higher math and other stuff
i sone month after cat is enough or u neeed to be regular from now onwards also....

also if possible please suggest some books or resources to prepare for XAT i am anxiously looking for that

See you need higher maths not only for XAT but for some other exams also. I remember I prepared it for IIFT also.

Also I think extensive higher maths preparation shall be done after CAT only. Before that, do it only when you need some change from normal routine.

what if i dont know anything about the essay topic??
for example if the topic asked was about wto i didnt have an idea about it what should i do???

what if i dont know anything about the essay topic??
for example if the topic asked was about wto i didnt have an idea about it what should i do???

This was the same doubt when I was in your place an year back. My IMS tutor has given us a topic "Bishop Desmond Tutu". I had no idea who he was, yet I had to write an essay.

This is where you use "Key Word Analysis". Break down the topic into "Bishop" and "Desmond Tutu". I started by giving an intro about bishops and how they are into social service, respected by the locals etc. Then I wrote about a person, whom I met on a plane, named Desmond Tutu. Its cheeky, but it worked.

DISCLAIMER: This approach is to be used in the worst case. When you know absolutely nothing about the topic.

In our essay on "Gender Imbalance: Reason for third world war". I wrote about how males were made more physical and females were made more caring and nurturing. And that imbalance isn't man made but made by god for a purpose. And if we haven't had a world war yet, we wont have it since this imbalance is only getting less.

Now, my interpretation of the topic was clearly wrong. Gender Imbalance refers to the Male:Female ratio, but I wrote about the discrimination.

You can use your own interpretation as long as your essay makes sense.

Needless to say, to need to be grammatically correct, sentence formation should be flawless, and you need to be spot on with spellings.
This was the same doubt when I was in your place an year back. My IMS tutor has given us a topic "Bishop Desmond Tutu". I had no idea who he was, yet I had to write an essay.

This is where you use "Key Word Analysis". Break down the topic into "Bishop" and "Desmond Tutu". I started by giving an intro about bishops and how they are into social service, respected by the locals etc. Then I wrote about a person, whom I met on a plane, named Desmond Tutu. Its cheeky, but it worked.

DISCLAIMER: This approach is to be used in the worst case. When you know absolutely nothing about the topic.

In our essay on "Gender Imbalance: Reason for third world war". I wrote about how males were made more physical and females were made more caring and nurturing. And that imbalance isn't man made but made by god for a purpose. And if we haven't had a world war yet, we wont have it since this imbalance is only getting less.

Now, my interpretation of the topic was clearly wrong. Gender Imbalance refers to the Male:Female ratio, but I wrote about the discrimination.

You can use your own interpretation as long as your essay makes sense.

Needless to say, to need to be grammatically correct, sentence formation should be flawless, and you need to be spot on with spellings.

so they dont look for the correct interpretation of the topic or the subject inside it???
all they look for is correct english?

Hi Seniors,

What were the cut offs for getting calls for XLRI BM and PM-IR courses last year ?

How much weightage does the essay writing part carry,or does it come into the picture only when you are called for the interview based on your performance in the written paper?

so they dont look for the correct interpretation of the topic or the subject inside it???
all they look for is correct english?

Not quite, you'll be amazed on what an essay reveals about you. Your bent of mind, your personality etc. Proper English is just one part of it. How ever dont write any interpretation of it. It was just my experience, may not work out for you guys.

Hi Seniors,

What were the cut offs for getting calls for XLRI BM and PM-IR courses last year ?

How much weightage does the essay writing part carry,or does it come into the picture only when you are called for the interview based on your performance in the written paper?

Original text can be found here > XLRI Admission Process - XLRI School of Business & Human Resources

"For Personnel Management and Industrial Relations Programme a total of 288 applicants having more than 93.4 percentile in VA, 83 percentile in QA, 90.5 percentile in RA, and overall 97.5 percentile have been shortlisted for Group Discussion and Personal Interview.

For Business Management Programme a total of 490 applicants having more than 90.4 percentile in VA, 92.9 percentile in QA, 90.5 percentile in RA, and overall 98.5 percentile have been shortlisted for Personal Interview."

As for the essay, well, "nobody knows". But yeah, logic says they'll first shortlist and read 700 essays rather than read 1L essays and then shortlisting.

Hmm..
WOW!!
It feels great to be back on pagalguy :)
What say Manan?

Anyhow coming back to the queries, most of them have been answered.
Would just like to give my 2 cents on them

1. "I am the first one to ask a doubt
is it correct ??"

2. "Also can u suggest what needs to be done along with the ususla preparation of CAT for XAT means how much time one take to study the higher math and other stuff

also if possible please suggest some books or resources to prepare for XAT i am anxiously looking for that"

Higher Maths is important in a way that you will surely get 3-4 questions on higher maths and they are sitters, so you save on few valauble minutes

I think you would need only 7-10 days more after CAT to prepare for XAT.
Try to go through previous year papers as they help a lot
Time and CL give a XAT special booklet on Higher Maths and Logical Reasoning which is particularly "innovative" in XAT
Rest preparation is same as other Exams.

Moreover, dont fret over "Higher Maths" , the booklet you would get from any coching institute would be enough..
In case you dont get it drop me a PM, if i find the soft copy i used, will forward it to you

3. "being a jesuit institution,are there management seats available, coz for LIBA they do have management seats."

Skipped :)

4. "what if i dont know anything about the essay topic??
for example if the topic asked was about wto i didnt have an idea about it what should i do?"
5. How much weightage does the essay writing part carry,or does it come into the picture only when you are called for the interview based on your performance in the written paper?

So far, the most unpredictable part of XAT.
Frankly the evaluation of your essay depends on the interview panel and more important the mood of the interview panel
It also depends on how interesting your interview is, in case the interviewer does not find anything interesting ;), he might ask you something from the essay

As far as general knowledge regarding the essay goes, you would anyways need alot of it for interviews, so start reading the newpapers
You also might be lucky to get "abstract" topics which has happend quite a few times but dont bank on it

Also in case you wish to apply for XIMB and other colleges through XAT, they might look at your essay

There was not a mention of the essay in our year as well as the previous year, as far as cut-off were concerned

5 .What were the cut offs for getting calls for XLRI BM and PM-IR courses last year ?

Skipped 😃

hi puys,
i just want to inquire what are the individual cut offs for a PMIR and BM call...
in XAT 2008, i scored
QA 83.xx
VA 99.xx
DI 96.xx

OA 98.50
but still didn't get a call...
i know that QA was very less but i saw ppl with 94+ in each section and 98+ OA but still not getting a call...

also, last year's essay topic was gender divide (or somewhat like that) and the content i wrote was very different from the coaching institute's keys...

what is the importance of the essay in sending the calls...
please clarify...