[Official] DILR Thread for CAT 2016!

As we are done with CAT 2015 and those who feel that they need to start all over again to get into their dream b-school, here it is!! Go get it. Period.

A young man asked Socrates the secret to success. Socrates told the young man to meet him near the river the next morning. They met. Socrates asked the young man to walk with him towards the river. When the water got up to their neck, Socrates took the young man by surprise and ducked him into the water. The boy struggled to get out but Socrates was strong and kept him there until the boy started turning blue. Socrates pulled his head out of the water and the first thing the young man did was to gasp and take a deep breath of air. Socrates asked, 'What did you want the most when you were there?" The boy replied, "Air." Socrates said, "That is the secret to success. When you want success as badly as you wanted the air, then you will get it." There is no other secret.

A burning desire is the starting point of all accomplishment. Just like a small fire cannot give much heat, a weak desire cannot produce great results.

Seven bands were scheduled to perform during the week long music festival at XLRI. The festival began on a Monday evening and ended on the Sunday evening. Each day only one band performed. Each band performed only once. The organizing committee had the task of scheduling the

performances of the seven bands - Cactus, Axis, Enigma, Boom, Fish, Dhoom and Bodhi Tree. The festival schedule followed the following conditions: the performance of Bodhi Tree, the home band of XLRI, did not precede the performance of any other band. Among the visiting bands three were rock bands and the other three were fusion bands. All three bands of the same genre were not allowed to

perform consecutively. Boom, which was a rock band, refused to perform immediately before or after Fish. Meet, who was a lead vocalist with a rock band, refused to perform after Angelina. Angelina, the only female lead vocalist in the music fest besides Bony, was with the band Enigma. Angelina refused to perform after Thursday citing personal reasons. Ali, who was the lead vocalist of a rock band, was not with the band Dhoom, and did not perform on Saturday. Sid, the lead vocalist of the rock band Cactus, could perform only on Monday. Rupam, the only male among the lead vocalists of the fusion bands, was with Fish and performed on Wednesday. None of the bands performed in absence of their lead vocalist.

Ques1: 
All of the following statements can be true except:

A. If Meet was the lead vocalist of Axis then Ali was the lead vocalist of Boom.

B. If Meet was the lead vocalist of Dhoom then Bony was the lead vocalist of Axis.

C. If Bony was the lead vocalist of Dhoom then Meet was the lead vocalist of Axis.

D. If Ali was the lead vocalist of Boom then Meet was the lead vocalist of Dhoom.

E. If Bony was the lead vocalist of Axis then Meet was the lead vocalist of Boom.

Ques2: 
Which of the following must be true?

A. Ali performed on Saturday and Enigma performed on Thursday.

B. Dhoom performed on Thursday and Angelina performed on Tuesday.

C. Boom performed on Friday and Meet performed on Tuesday.

D. Ali performed on Friday and Enigma performed on Tuesday.

E. Bony performed on Saturday and Axis performed on Thursday.

Ques3: 
Which of the following is a plausible performance sequence?

A. Cactus, Enigma, Fish, Dhoom, Boom, Axis

B. Cactus, Dhoom, Fish, Boom, Enigma, Axis

C. Cactus, Axis, Fish, Boom, Enigma, Dhoom

D. Cactus, Axis, Fish, Enigma, Boom, Dhoom

E. Cactus, Boom, Fish, Axis, Enigma, Dhoom.

Answer in comments with your approach.

Total Enginners =42000

percentage of people for whoose details are available::

Name=100%
Age=85%
address=70%
experience=95%
phone number=60%
e-mail id=80%

Then the number of engineers,for whom the deatils of exactly four of the six features are available,is at least??

Explain answer in the comment. 

• None of the above.

0 voters

A survey shows that 41%, 35% and 60% of the people watch "A", "B" and "C" respectively. 27% people watch exactly two of the three movies and 3% watch none.What percentage of people watch all the three movies?

a) 40% b) 6% c) 9%d) 12%

http://imgur.com/a/XT6Cz

Can anyone please help me with the solution..? 

These are the threads for CAT 2016, for those who aren't able to find them.. 😃

DI-LR http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/official-dilr-thread-for-cat-2016-38731633

Verbal http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/official-verbal-thread-for-cat-2016-38731568

Quant http://www.pagalguy.com/discussions/official-quant-thread-for-cat-2016-38731516

Miss Alden, miss brent, Miss clark, Miss doyle and Miss Evan have short first and middle names

[1] Four of them have first or middle name of Fay, three of them have first or middle name as Gay, two of them has first or middle name as Kay and one of them has first or middle name as May.

[2] Either Miss alden and Miss brent are both named Kay or Miss clark and Miss Doyle are both named Kay

[3] Of Miss brent and Miss clark both are named Gay or neither is named Gay.

[4] Miss doyle and Miss evans are not both named Fay

Who is named as May??

Ramesh, suresh and tarun worked as accountant, supervisor, cashier not necessarily in same order. If Tarun is the cashier, Suresh is the supervisor. If Tarun is supervisor, Suresh is the accountant. If Suresh is not the cashier, Ramesh is the supervisor. Who is the accountant? Explain your answer also.

• Ramesh
  • Tarun
  • Suresh
  • CBD

0 voters

Ques

I am really finding difficulty with team formation type questions,how do i go about solving them?any suggestions?

BISCUITS AND COOKIES Five students, P, Q, R, S and T stand in a line in some order and receive cookies and biscuits to eat. No student gets the same number of cookies or biscuits. The person first in the queue gets the least number of cookies. Number of cookies or biscuits received by each student is a natural number from 1 to 9 with each number appearing at least once. The total number of cookies is two more than the total number of biscuits distributed. R who was in the middle of the line received more goodies (cookies and biscuits put together) than everyone else. T receives 8 more cookies than biscuits. The person who is last in the queue received 10 items in all, while P receives only half as many totally. Q is after P but before S in the queue. Number of cookies Q receives is equal to the number of biscuits P receives. Q receives one more good than S and one less than R. Person second in the queue receives an odd number of biscuits and an odd number of cookies. Who was 4th in the queue?

Seven persons Paul,Queen, rax,Sam,Tom,Unif, and Vali are sitting in a row facing us.Rax and Sam sit next to each other .There must be exactly four persons between queen and vali .Sam sits to the immediate right of queen

1)In how many different  ways can the seven persons sit in a row ?

a)3  b)2 c)10 d)12

Please explian me in details and also suggest me that we can solve this question using permutation & Combinations. if yes please explain me

Thanks in advance

Statements: Some houses are offices. Some offices are schools.

Conclusions:

1. Some schools are houses.
  2. Some offices are houses.
  3. No house is school.
  4. Some schools are offices.                                                                                      A)   Only II and III follow                                                                                           B)   Only I and IV follow
    C)   Only either III or IV, and I follow
    D)   Only II and IV and either I or III follow.
    E)   Only I and IV follow.

This may sound trivial , but i am getting confused in 2 options . Kindly help me in this question. Thanks in advance.

http://imgur.com/SA6ubfj

http://imgur.com/xUR2LXm

Q42-45 please

Directions forr questions 17 to 20:

Eight persons -A,B,C,D,E,F,G and H -sit around a circular table facing the centre ,but not necessarily in that order. Each of them teaches a different subject among Maths, Physics, chemistry ,Biology , history,commerce , Civicsand botany.The following information is known about their seating positions .

1) B sits second to the right of the person who teaches botany.

2)Three persons sit between D and the person who teaches chemistry, who is not adjacent to B

3) H sits three places away from the person who teaches botany and he does not teach civics

4)The person who teaches civics is adjacent to B and the person who teaches maths.

5)A sits three places away from the person who teaches Botany

6)The person who teaches commerce and C are adjacent to each other.

7)E sits opposite the person who teaches physics.

8)C teaches neither botany nor biology.

Questions:

17)Who sits opposite F?

a)D b)A c)G d)Cannot be determined

18)who sits second to the right of the person who teaches history?

Please explain me in detail.

In a survey conducted, it was found that, of the 100 persons surveyed, 20 persons do not read any of the three magazines - B.W , B.I , B.T. 45 people read B.W, 40 people read B.I., and 45 people read B.T.

1. What is the maximum number of people who read exactly one magazine?

2. What is the maximum possible number of people who read only B.W.?

3. If no person reads only B.T, what is the maximum possible number of people reading all the three magazines?

soo being here will be fun!!!!!

http://i.imgur.com/qFsdzHF.jpg

hey puys i desperately need an answer for this DI-Maxima Minima question. I've been trying to solve this question for more than 1 hour now. For TIME students this question is from DI booklet SM1001604-8(b). So please some one explain this with approach. Thank you

If anybody wants Time cat 2015 material (worksheets,practice material, monthly magazines ,gd books) and past papers can message me .